BX-4 Gen 2

Haven't seen much talk on Leopold new BX-4s. Doesn't look too much different other than the replaceable eye cups which is cool. I sent an email on estimated in stock times and they just said they don't release those dates. Wondering if the upgrades are worth waiting on vs picking but the discounted Gen 1s.

Their new BX-4 Pro Guide HD binoculars come with 3 different eyecups that are easily swapped so you get the most comfortable eyecup for you. Nice feature. No price increase over the last generation and Upgraded coatings reducing glare.

Has anyone had a chance to compare gen 1 vs gen 2?
Interested to see if the changes make a significant difference.

Honestly extremely disappointed in the brand new BX4 12x50 gen 1 that I bought only couple months ago. The chromatic aberration is unacceptable. Both of my Chinesium Athlon Midas UHD Gen 2 12x50s and ScoopX UHDs 10x42s look way better looking through compared to these Leupolds I have. Even my Japan made BX3 12x50s sux even moreso.

Also the new improved updated 2023 Japan Burris Signature HDs in 8x42 and 15x56 that were in sale for really dirt cheap in Amazon recently are clearer than the BX4s with say less chromatic aberration. Even the 10x42s I recently received last which actually aren't as clear as the 8s and 15s are better looking through than the Leupolds. I sure hope the Gen 2 version has greatly improved their glass quality over the Gen 1 because IMHO the Gen 1 optically pretty much sucks when compared to way cheaper Chinese made Binoculars.

If considering buying Leupold brand Binoculars I can ONLY recommend buying their BX5s. I own every single model BX1 BX2 BX3 BX4 and BX5 and only the BX5 is acceptable to my eyes the rest are all junk. Better off buying Athlon Midas UHD Gen 2s or better yet the dirt cheap ScoopX UHDs. Frustrating to see not as crisp image quality with excessive chromatic aberration looking through BX4s and below models. I do appreciate all 3 models of my the BX1 Porro Prism 6x 8x 10x Binoculars though which don't appear to have such offensive chromatic aberration. They're at least as clear as my Kowa YF Porro Prism and Nikon Action Extreme EXs.

I already looked through so many different Binoculars already so man, the BX4s in 12x50 really are a major disappointment to my own my eyes especially when compared side by with way cheaper priced ones including dirt cheap generics.

I'm SO tempted to buy the $329 2023 new improved updated Japan made green Burris Signature HD 12x50s currently on sale on Amazon but I'd be pretty pissed if they aren't clearer than AT LEAST my CHINESE Athlon Midas UHDs.

I'd wait for the SIG Zulu 10s to go on sale as SIGs usually do just to move inventory like they did at Midway USA ($500-600 SIG Zulu 9s) before spending close to $700 on a BX4 Gen 2 because this is next level Vortex Razor UHD beating glass on the cusp of tier 1 Alpha glass.

Edited this double post

Reason I'm pretty nuts about dissing the Japan made BX4 12x50s is because I recently bought a really cheap $160 Chinese Bushnell Prime 12x50 and image sharpness and detail and the high levels of chromatic aberration are pretty much identical to the almost $800 Leupold BX4s when compared side by side. In fact these cheaper Chinese Bushnnells have even more POP than this specific Leupold I bought SMDH...

I buy pretty much everything at least to try out and actually kept this Bushnell Prime because they're practically just about neck and neck with my BX4s but have more POP.

This one

"Amazon.com: Bushnell Prime 12x50 Binocular, IPX7 Waterproof Binoculars with Fully Multi Coated Optics and EXO Barrier Lens Protection : Electronics" https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-BPR1250-12X50-Tactical-Accessories/dp/B07DLB5FL4

Last edited:
Back