Buy once cry once shotgun for water fowl

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is for the SBE3. When I get too much dirt in it it slows down a bit, but if you keep the grass seeds and mud and other debris out of it you’ll be quite happy.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
All depends on how much you wanna spend my friend. I'm in the same boat. I just started this past season. Few weeks ago I picked up a Benelli SBE II American for $1099. Put a $30 Limbsaver recoil pad on it and it'll kick less than any with the ComfortTech stock on it. You can save a few hundred dollars that way. Also look at the Browning Silver. You can pick them up for $850 or so,and you're gonna be hard pressed to find many bad things being said about that gun. Seems to be a dang solid duck gun. Go handle some guns and see which feels and shoulders best for ya. I really wanted the Silver because of price and never really heard any bad things about it, but the Benelli just fit me a whole lot better. It's all in what fits you best. I would stay with the 3 B's though. Benelli , Browning, Beretta.

DaleW

WKR
The Beretta A400 and even the older A391 are top notch. I'm from TN and lived in WI for a while so I've been around waterfowl hunting most of my life. They are the most reliable semi autos you can get.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I will second the Retay Massai Mara. My guide in Arkansas has shot one for 3 years only cleaned it one time and beats the hell out of it. Never has used a case for it and literally throws it in the truck bed or the boat and it’s never had a hiccup. I watched him use it as a walking stick coming out of the blind sunk it past the fore end and it still cycled flawlessly. I shoot a Mossberg 930 and I like it but my next gun will absolutely be a Retay in 20 gauge

c3cross

FNG
That's awesome to hear about the Retay, I wish they would release a LH version. For now the M2 is my go to since I shoot LH, though the Affinity works every bit as good for me

Choupique

WKR
Either the benelli or beretta that tickles your pickle. Every shotgun from either one is a top of the line duck blaster. They both have offerings from ~$1000 to much much more. All of them are excellent shotguns. If you're looking at 4 figure waterfowl guns, there's no reason to look farther than that IMO

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome to hear about the Retay, I wish they would release a LH version. For now the M2 is my go to since I shoot LH, though the Affinity works every bit as good for me
I am also LH but because of limited choices for semis I just shoot right handed guns. Always shot right handed pumps so the shell ejecting across my face has never bothered me though. Just have to put shims in since most RH guns are cast for right handed shooters

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve got a SBEII. It just works, all the time. The only problem I’ve had with it is cycling with really low brass crappy shells - Herters target load. They jam in the ejection port. They just don’t have enough charge for the inertial system. Every reputable brand of target load works just fine. They’ve handled salt water, getting dropped, stepped on, etc. I’ve seen two (mine and a friend’s) get ejected from an ATV gun rack and get run over by the quad. We picked them up, cycled them, fired them to check the function and zero, and went right back to hunting. They really are a tough piece of gear.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend one of the Benelli guns. SBE, M2 or Montefeltro. I shoot the Montefeltro and love it. My son just got a new SBEIII and it is nice as well. Pull the trigger and it goes bang every time. I know a lot of people like the Barettas but they are heavier and feel awkward to me for some reason.

Last edited:
I used to shoot a Benelli M1 but recently upgraded to an SBE3 and I love it. Have tried a few berettas but I liked the simplicity of the Benelli

I have a SBE2 and a Berette Urika Optima. I love both of them, but reach for the Beretta more often. Kicks less and points better for me. Not that I do not like my SBE2, I just love the Beretta.

jonboy

FNG
You could spend more, and it is your pocketbook, but the Retay is hard to beat. I kinda wondered if someone was going to pass a law banning guns you like that much at that price point.

tuffcity

WKR
Or roll old school with a classic A5. This one is a 1965 with a later ribbed barrel (Japanes barrel) . Never failed yet in any field condition.

08CcTwQ.jpg

I've shot with guys who literally have SBE2 license plates and their pride and joy choked on the Sporting Clays course.
Those inertia guns require a fair amount of recoil to operate.
Never had that problem with my gas guns.
Browning Silver Hunter and Winchester SX4 have the same operating system and the Win has lots of camo choices.
As mentioned before, you will likely never need a 3.5" gun.