Burying a skull in SoCal

clem

FNG
Has anyone in the Southern California area ever used the burying method to clean a deer skull? I'm trying it because I'm into the patina look. My question is: for how long? I know the answer to this depends on climate and soil type, so that's why I'm specifically curious if anyone in SoCal has done it. The soil is dry and relatively un-buggy, but it also doesn't freeze here. Appreciate any help.

JeffP_Or

WKR
This will be of zero help for the SoCal question but a few things to consider:
  • Wrap your antlers with chicken wire or sifting cloth - rats/mice/squirrels/chipmunks/porcupine all love to munch antler this time of year and into winter.
  • Look to bury it near an anthill - last small animal skull I did, I put it right next to a mound of small black ants; was good to go by the time I went back and looked about a month later. I left it another few weeks but it was good to go that first time.
  • Put yourself a drag or trap anchor next to the head and wire it to that or a tree; all sorts of canine types will try and make of with it otherwise [including your MIL's ankle biter]. They will especially gnaw off the snout....

180ls1

WKR
Yup. I have a nice little garden of them from last year in San Diego. I wait a year and they are always good to go.

OP
clem

clem

FNG
Where you located? Im in Apple Valley I have bugs i use for my own stuff and I throw a few heads in for friends. If you want that look its pretty quick and easy to do with bugs....
That's a very generous offer -- thank you. However, I love a good DIY so I'm gonna try this out in my yard and see what happens. That being said, if I dig it up months down the road to no success, I may give you a yell:)