bullet selection for mountain goat

this will n[be my first goat hunt Im between the 7prc and the 300 win , what bullets are you guys using ?

I'm going this year in Colorado. I've never shot a mountain goat, but planning on using my 6.5 PRC. After seeing it absolutely destroy a moose 2 seasons ago I've got confidence in that rifle for anything in Colorado. Shoot whatever you are more accurate with.

OP
E
** This will be my first mountain goat hunt. I'm between the 7 prc and the 300 win, what bullets are you guys using?

OP
E
I will be using a short barrel 243 with 108 gr ELDMs.
have you used this for goats before? I was leaning toward the large cartridges because all I hear about goats is how tough they and their ability to soak up lead

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
have you used this for goats before? I was leaning toward the large cartridges because all I hear about goats is how tough they and their ability to soak up lead
I have not, but the wound channel diameter should match that of a larger caliber with "tougher" bullets. Goats are not particularly large, so penetration depth is not a large concern, they are not cape buffalo.

I would take a heavy for caliber fragmenting bullet for whatever cartridge you select; ELDM/X, Berger, TMK, etc; 220ish gr for 30 cal, 160ish for 7mm, Etc. Taking a larger caliber, than selecting a bullet that creates a smaller wound channel is not logical. Wound channels in vital organs, not headstamps, kill.

Free advice from someone on the Internet who has lost their marbles is probably worth about what you pay for it.

ljalberta

WKR
I’d suspect the ability for goats to soak lead is more due to the shot placement of the shooters, and less to do with a goat being a particularly tough creature. Often shots are at steeper angles, higher altitudes, and can be in windier conditions. Most people hunting goats are already poor shots on the flats, let alone adding in these additional elements.

OP
E
I have not, but the wound channel diameter should match that of a larger caliber with "tougher" bullets. Goats are not particularly large, so penetration depth is not a large concern, they are not cape buffalo.

I would take a heavy for caliber fragmenting bullet for whatever cartridge you select; ELDM/X, Berger, TMK, etc; 220ish gr for 30 cal, 160ish for 7mm, Etc. Taking a larger caliber, than selecting a bullet that creates a smaller wound channel is not logical. Wound channels in vital organs, not headstamps, kill.

Free advice from someone on the Internet who has lost their marbles is probably worth about what you pay for

Free advice from someone on the Internet who has lost their marbles is probably worth about what you pay for it.
appreciate the insight

Wyo_hntr

WKR
7prc/eldm. I have zero experience with mountain goats but they are not mythical creatures.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has a CO tag this year and will be using - 6.5prc and 156 bergers.

Decker9

WKR
Shot selection is more important than bullet selection imo. Ime every goat is different. Be sure they’re in a retrievable spot, aim for lungs and let fly.

But for myself, I’ll choose a tougher bullet every time.

The goat in my picture was shot with a 145 LRX that made a broadhead sized hole in the lungs) and spined due to a 42deg shot angle, I was pretty damn lucky. I haven't used copper for a while now. I was originally on the 'save the meat' train which was BS, I'd rather see 'em drop right away.

We've shot a couple with 160 Accubonds with better results.

ELDM/X are still the deadliest we've used.

They're tough animals but they don't do much walking when the lungs are blown up with a fragmenting bullet.