Bullet recommendations for 30-06 Elk

Okie_Poke

FNG
I’m researching bullets (I can hand load or shoot factory). The few I am intrigued about are-
Remington pointed core lokt in 180 grain.
Barnes Ttsx (not sure which grain) 165 or 168
Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 180 grain.
If you do go with the Barnes, the 168 was designed for the 308 and 30-06. It has a lower expansion velocity (closer to the LRX, I think) than the 165, which was designed for the 300 magnums.

But I'm another vote for the 180 Accubond. In my view, it's the do-all easy button for the '06. Nothing wrong with many other bullets mentioned. Of those you put in your first list, I've seen that 180 trophy bonded tipped work well. As someone else mentioned, federals' new(ish) terminal ascent is a sleeker version of that bullet. And partitions are boringly reliable.

Mr6.5

FNG
Federal Terminal Ascent 175 grain. In my not so humble opinion there is no better bullet for the hunt you are asking about. It is accurate, has good expansion and tons of penetration. The front half of the bullet is bonded lead core and the back half is solid copper that drives the mushroom deep.

NX8B8

FNG
If you want to shoot the Barnes, you'll need to stay inside 250-300yds. I used them with success for a few years but stopped after I shot an elk past 400yds and saw poor but fatal damage.
I wouldn’t use one experience as a black and white rule. It’s not evidence, science, or consistent with peers. Respectfully

Will 736

FNG
All- yes first time poster long time lurker. I looked through the search function and found bits and pieces but wanted to consolidate my question.

I’m going on my first Elk hunt next fall any will be using a suppressed 30-06 Tikka T3x.

I’m researching bullets (I can hand load or shoot factory). The few I am intrigued about are-
Remington pointed core lokt in 180 grain.
Barnes Ttsx (not sure which grain) 165 or 168
Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 180 grain.

These are based on reviews and availability. I believe all of them will do the job if I do. I have not shot any of them yet. Gun is brand new. I’m curious which one you would start with? First MOA bullet will be the one I stick with most likely.

Note, 400 yard range max.
I have had good success on elk with bonded bullets over the last 30 years in Idaho. I have found that .30 cal bonded bullets penetrate deeply, get into the vitals, and almost always exit leaving a good blood trail, which is what I want. I have primarily used handloaded 180 gn Nosler Partitions and Accubonds in a .300 Wby. A couple of years ago I killed a nice bull with a Federal Trophy Bonded in a .308. Again, good penetration and performance. I know many people who have used the Barnes bullets with similar results. I don't think you could go wrong any of the high quality bonded bullets or the Barnes. I would avoid the core lokt as I don't think you get the terminal performance you a looking for with that bullet, as it is not bonded as far as I know. That's my 2 cents worth. Best of luck.

Totally agree with Hiker270 165 Gr Accubond for the 30-06. IMR 4350 or H4350 whatever fly's best out of your rifle.
165 gr. Nosler Accubond or 165 gr. Partition either one would work great. I shoot the 165 gr. Accubond now, same exact load I used for the Partition. It shoots great and performs extremely well.

57.4 grs of IMR4350 - Federal 210 primer - 165 gr. Accubond

Chronographs at 2940 fps in my Ruger 1B with it's 26" barrel.

How could you not like this combination?
1727803835594.png

Last edited: