bullet choice for 25-06

mcseal2

WKR
I just picked up a project the gunsmith has been working on for a while. I had a Winchester 70 built several years ago in 270 win with a B&C Alaskan stock, #3 fluted Pac-Nor barrel. The barrel proved to be very accurate but the smith left it 25" long instead of 23" as I asked him to. With the fairly long length of pull stock it stuck out several inches above my head in my Eberlestock scabbard and the gun didn't end up quite as light as I'd hoped. The gun ended up staying in the safe most of the time. Recently I picked up a Kimber 84L Montana in 280 Ackley that I can't get to group worth a darn. I made the decision to have the #3 Pac-Nor barrel in 270 switched over to this Kimber and cut back to 23" to create the mountain rifle I want. Hopefully it works out and I have a mountain rifle that will see a lot of use instead of sitting in the safe.

Anyway, the gunsmith had a barrel he'd ordered in several years ago for a personal project he never got completed in 25 caliber sitting in inventory he wanted to cut me a deal on. Now the Winchester 70 has a new cryo-accurized McGowan 24" #4 barrel installed. I got the barrel broke in yesterday and it proved to be a bit picky on loads but the factory Barnes VOR-TX 100gr loads with the tipped TSX bullet turned in 3 shot groups of .6 and .75". Other factory loads were all 1.5-2". I had several partial boxes of ammo on hand from helping a friend who doesn't handload try to find a good factory load for his 25-06, he gave me the partial boxes of ammo his gun didn't like. The factory loads I tried were the Hornady Superformance 90gr GMX, Hornady 117gr SST Superformance load, the Barnes 100gr load mentioned above, and the Remington 120gr Core-lokt.

I have no experience with the Barnes bullet. The box shows the bullet to be moving 3225fps so there is room for more velocity with a 100gr bullet. I didn't have enough ammo left after shooting groups to chronograph. The Barnes ammo carries a pretty good price tag at $37-42 per box online. This 25-06 will get more use on coyotes than deer, but I want to use a tougher bullet that can handle both. If I ever have the 25-06 in hand and call in a bobcat I'd rather put a hole in him with a controlled expansion bullet than blow him up with a 75-90gr varmint bullet. My wife already likes the new rifle and will likely be using it on out next antelope hunt. Anyway I wondered if anyone has experience with this bullet or has some other favorite dual-purpose bullets in 25 cal I should try. I am considering trying the 100gr Scirocco or 110gr Accubond if I go to handloads, just trying to decide if I should spend money on dies, brass, and bullets, and experimenting or just stick with the factory load that shoots well.

topher89

WKR
Not the same but I run the 100gr Barnes in my 257 Roberts. It is my deer and antelope gun but I haven't had a chance to use it one game yet, except a lone coyote last antelope season.

From everything I have read, the Barnes will be a great bullet for antelope and deer.

elkguide

WKR
Depends on how much you like tinkering and building your own whether or not you handload for it. I love to build my own. Each of the quarter bore rifles that I have seem to have their own individual preference for what goes down the barrel best. I haven't been using any of those rifles for anything but whitetails and I just want the deer to stop breathing so I have found great accuracy and success with Hornady's SST's. They definitely do come apart and make big holes though, so I wouldn't recommend them for hide hunting.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm loading 110 grain Accubonds in my 25-06 with great accuracy. I haven't shot a deer with it, yet. If I don't get consistent pass throughs with the AB's, I'm gonna try the 100 grain Partitions. Midwayusa has the Barnes ttsx 100 grainers on sale right now.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sako 25-06 that did not group most factory loads I tried. Shot the 110 Accubonds with H4831sc for a few years killing a few deer, antelope, and pigs with it. The last few years been using the 100 TTSX over RL22 and it's a great combo and seems to kill deer and pigs quickly. Have shot a few coyotes with the TTSX and it can be messy if shot placement isn't good.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I know that you are looking for more of a coyote gun than a deer/antelope, but I would look at 115 grain Berger Hunting VLD's and 117 grain Sierra Game Kings. I have found both to be quite accurate and hard on deer.

I'm shooting 115 Bergers in mine and had great luck with it too. Shot a buck and a bull with it last year and performed great!

Roy68

WKR
I have been using a 25-06 as my go to for the last 23 years on the central plains. I originally used partitions (115's?) for the first ~15 years and I switched over to Hornady SST in 117 and haven't looked back. I switched because I was constantly dinging up the lead on the partitions.

I cannot count the deer over the last 23 years. However I looked back at some notes and the last 10 years I counted 30 whitetails and 10 of those are above average bucks The SST gets the job done for me. I don't shoot cloverleafs but I'm a MOA shooter at minimum out to 400 with the rifle. That is plenty IMO.

7 coyotes this year so far and I'm not to hard on pelts unless the yote is running straight away; if I hit center of the shoulders or spine it's a mess. Broadside behind the shoulders in the ribs and it just passes through leaving 4 paws to the sky and a sellable pelt.