building stamina

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a crossfit coach. Crossfit is great for general physical fitness. It gets you well rounded in a lot of aspects. I will say this, I don't do just crossfit for my mountain hunting training. The oly lifts, and all the other things are great and they will help you. But the best thing to do for training to hunt the mountains is to put weight in your pack and hit the hills, bleachers, stairs, or whatever you have at your disposal. I trained doing 1000 Vertical feet ascending and descending with 65-105-205 in my pack 2 months prior to my elk hunts. I went 7 miles without losing my breath, and that included a 3000 ft climb over a mountain and descend into our basin we were hunting. My pack weight was 55 lbs and my partner was surely impressed. Especially since he lives in WA state and I was coming from Michigan. Nothing beats the specificity of climbing stairs with a weighted pack for your mountain hunting endurance. I cannot stress enough how much that helped me vs the prior years where I just used weights and jogging.

I am also a Level 1 certified Crossfit coach. You can tweak the WOD's to your abilities. I have been crossfiting for the last 7 years and yet to injure myself. Crossfit IS NOT the end all cure all for everybody out there. I have had the best results of my life with it but that does not mean that it's for everyone. If you are looking into endurance based WOD's solely I highly suggest looking at Crossfit Endurance.com. Take a look at the site read through it and try it out for a couple of weeks. The WOD's are generally alot shorter and you get great gains out of it if you stick with it. You can choose WOD's based off of four different styles: Running/Rowing/Cycling/Swimming. They are constantly varied functional workouts that work. Some are very short intervals with high intensity and then others are geared towards longer distances at different efforts. Just my two sense and no I'm not a crossfit god or worshipper. I have my garage converted into a gym. PM me if you have any questions.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot one thing--- Ohhiitznik hit the nail on the head with his last comment about loading a pack with weight and hitting stairs, mountains anything that you find that will simulate the mountain angles as best possible. I live in a flat area in texas but we have small canyons of the cap rock. On the weekends when I have more time I dedicate one day to specifically training with a loaded pack and hitting the hills. Sometimes for time sake I will go to the local high schools and walk the bleachers with the weighted pack. Great advice from Ohhiitznik!

Cross fit to me is just stupid. the idea behind the work outs are good but all the hype and bullshit that goes along with it are unnecessary.
you can do "cross fit" with out going to the gym.
I went to gym where the trainers have been doing "cross fit" training long before cross fit was "invented" and its a great work out.
I have seen cross fit videos of heavily pregnant woman doing some pretty stupid stuff. no trainer should be letting a pregnant woman train that way.
Thats my opinion anyway

My wife is a crossfit coach and personal trainer. She did crossfit work outs all through her pregancy. The Dr. said she could still workout and that remaining active is healthy. The "old" moto of being pregant and eating alot and not doing anything is wrong. She obviously didn't do some of the excercises and didn't do anything that might harm the baby. I'm not big into crossfit. Id rather hike mtns and run personally. But crossfit will kick your ass thats forsure. My wife Katy puts me to shame even while pregnant. haha

We had the baby and she is very healthy and strong. People compliment on how strong she is already holding her head up and such and I say "well she should be, she worked out for 9 months!" haha

Last edited: