building stamina

Climber

FNG
... I have yet to see or do one that requires an olympic lift to failure.

Agreed. CF is an incredibly efficient workout that builds real world fitness as well as mental toughness. Most people try it once or twice and then quit because of tough workouts. Don't listen to all the treadmill bashers- there is definitely a place for treadmill workouts (but I agree- they suck). Try building up to being able to walk at 4.0 on a 10% incline with a loaded pack. Start slow and build up and if you stick with it you will get there in no time!
- Google "burpee" and build up to where you can knock out 100 in under 20 minutes then try to get that time to under 15 minutes.
- Sprint for 1 minute on the treadmill followed by walking for 3 minutes. Do this for 30 minutes at least 3 times a week
- Put on a heavy pack and go hiking around your neighborhood
- Eat healthy! This can't be emphasized enough. If you put crap in your body then you will get crap back out. A healthy "diet" like a Zone is the one I prefer.

Good luck and don't quit! Each time you are ready to quit on the treadmill then make yourself suck it up for 60 more seconds.

JP100

WKR
If you are talking about the inaccuracy then I completely agree.

Cross fit to me is just stupid. the idea behind the work outs are good but all the hype and bullshit that goes along with it are unnecessary.
you can do "cross fit" with out going to the gym.
I went to gym where the trainers have been doing "cross fit" training long before cross fit was "invented" and its a great work out.
I have seen cross fit videos of heavily pregnant woman doing some pretty stupid stuff. no trainer should be letting a pregnant woman train that way.
Thats my opinion anyway

jmez

WKR
Nothing wrong with you thinking it is stupid or not agreeing with the concept. Using hyperbole and non truths to describe it however isn't needed.

So you can do any kind of workout without going to a gym, why belong to a gym? Is belonging to a gym stupid? Cross fit wasn't really invented. Our special ops have been using the training for a long time. Those types have brought a version of it mainstream.

I've never seen a pregnant woman doing crossfit, I assume if her Dr. is ok with it then that is between her, the trainer and Dr.

JWP58

WKR
Whoa, easy crossfitters, it was a joke. I know its like a religion but trust me, I meant no harm by joking about the all mighty crossfit. By all means OP, if you feel like blowing an ungodly amount of cash, go join a CF gym. If you want to do random workouts that have no rhyme or reason, follow the WOD's on CF's heavenly site.

Or if you'd like to attack this whole fitness thing the intelligent way, go read a book or two (I would suggest the NSCA's Strength and Condition text book, and Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier as two good places to start) so then you can design a workout plan that's tailored specifically to you and your goals.

I got to go do some sweet ass kipping pullups now.....

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Whoa, easy crossfitters, it was a joke. I know its like a religion but trust me, I meant no harm by joking about the all mighty crossfit. By all means OP, if you feel like blowing an ungodly amount of cash, go join a CF gym. If you want to do random workouts that have no rhyme or reason, follow the WOD's on CF's heavenly site.

Or if you'd like to attack this whole fitness thing the intelligent way, go read a book or two (I would suggest the NSCA's Strength and Condition text book, and Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier as two good places to start) so then you can design a workout plan that's tailored specifically to you and your goals.

Spoken like someone not tough enough for cross fit anyway. I guess all of this time all of the millions of "stupid" cross fitters should have been listening to you and all of your wisdom.

Climber

FNG
Yea, you always get CF bashers out there. They are typically the ones who puked the only time they tried it and now feel its beneath them ;)

I have been doing it for 10 years and have only been to a true CF gym twice and I didn't enjoy the experience. I workout in my garage with minimal equipment and have found that it gets in me in shape quicker than ANY other exercise program I have tried (and I've tried most of them). CF, P90X, Insanity, etc.. all work because of the intensity and the ability to work the entire body. I used to do the typical muscle beach workouts, could bench press a lot of weight and thought i was "fit" until I did my first CF workout. After puking in the trashcan and my buddies making fun of me, I realized I had a lot of work ahead! Oh yea, that experience got me hooked as well!

CF is not the only way to get fit but I guarantee if you do it consistently for 6 weeks you will be amazed at your progress. Same could be said for Insanity of P90X.

jmez

WKR
If you were referring to me I don't consider myself a crossfitter, what ever that is. And again, nothing wrong with not liking something and stating reasons why. Hyperbole and childish rants don't add much to the discussion.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

Rokslide is not the type of place for this crap. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it.

JWP58

WKR
Rokslide is not the type of place for this crap. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it.

I thought I did add something, maybe links would make it more obvious?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/essentials-of-strength-training-and-conditioning-3rd-edition-nsca-national-strength-conditioning-association/1100595705?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-textbook_instock_75up_pt109-_-q000000633-_-9780736058032&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9780736058032&isbn=9780736058032&r=1

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/strength-training-anatomy-3rd-edition-frederic-delavier/1101471186?ean=9780736092265

GREAT SOURCES FOR LEARNING (contains actual peer reviewed information, not stuff from a forum, plus you can bookmark, take notes, ect, ect)

NSCA is a also a great resource if you can become a member, they now even have a "tactical" division that focuses on practical strength training and conditioning for EMS, FF, LEO, and Military. Have some pretty sweet ass monthly peer reviewed research journals too...

sorry for the CF comments.........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
im no fitness expert for sure, and im not even going to bother reading through this whole post after looking at just the last few. but i am a guy that hunts the back country pretty hard and trys to stay in decent shape all year. but one concern for me is always keeping up or building up stamina between hunting seasons. i seem to fall off a bit around the holidays. hunting's for the most part over other than predator and im spending more time with the family. but every year i get back into ti and really i think a lot of guys over think it. i work the muscles i know are going to work the most while hunting the way i do. legs, lungs, heart. i could care less about strength training, im plenty strong, i don't need to bench 400 to kill a elk and it wouldn't help me hunt better if i could. i focus on cardio all year and try and rip my big leg muscles up i preparation for the mountains. its really pretty simple. cardio, cardio, cardio. i do mine in front of this computer every night on fitnessblender.com. and ill start running the trails around my house when it starts stating light longer. join a gym or work out club if it makes you do it, but the key is to do it or all the cool t shirts in the world arent going to get you there

This year since October 2013 my goal was to work on some of my weaknesses, one of them was building some better stamina, endurance. I want my going uphill with a pack to be more of a strength not a weakness. If I could I’d go on a uphill hike with a pack every day, I would, but with work, I can’t do that very easy. I actually love hiking, so hiking to me is not a chore. So, I do it in the gym the best I can on revolving stairs, and then treadmill at a 15% grade with a pack full of granite gravel, checking my heart rate to make sure I keep it on the high side to push myself. I finish off with some weights. I won’t run, trying to get all I can out of my knees. I do a fast pace though and it is working. My shirt is still drenched with sweat each day at the end but I’m able to do it much better without as much struggle and I’m getting lean. I do also add a couple mile walk at lunch each day with the same weighted pack at work but I have level ground and it is more of just a break to get some fresh air and away from the desk.

I started eating more salads, again another weakness in the past. I notice a big difference in my energy than when I come off a protein only weekend. I love meat, but the rounded diet I think also has been a big key for me to keep me going better.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Keep the debate clean and civil please. I'd hate to have to delete a thread that has some good points in it.

As long as you're doing something, it's better than nothing, lots of good ideas here.

Last edited:
I'm a crossfit coach. Crossfit is great for general physical fitness. It gets you well rounded in a lot of aspects. I will say this, I don't do just crossfit for my mountain hunting training. The oly lifts, and all the other things are great and they will help you. But the best thing to do for training to hunt the mountains is to put weight in your pack and hit the hills, bleachers, stairs, or whatever you have at your disposal. I trained doing 1000 Vertical feet ascending and descending with 65-105-205 in my pack 2 months prior to my elk hunts. I went 7 miles without losing my breath, and that included a 3000 ft climb over a mountain and descend into our basin we were hunting. My pack weight was 55 lbs and my partner was surely impressed. Especially since he lives in WA state and I was coming from Michigan. Nothing beats the specificity of climbing stairs with a weighted pack for your mountain hunting endurance. I cannot stress enough how much that helped me vs the prior years where I just used weights and jogging.

And also, to the crossfit haters: You're more than welcome to hate. Its not everyones thing. Just like I won't rip into your body building splits, or tough mudder or whatever you do. Sure some people in crossfit give it a bad name and it can get cult like, but don't judge it by just what you've experienced or who you've interacted with.

Jdog

WKR
Variety is key IMOP AND challenging yourself with strength training and aerobic and anerobic fitness exercises.

I have been doing P90X since I deployed to Afghanistan in Jan 2012...I mix in running, elliptical sessions as well and spinning sessions.

I have seen great results for my body type with steady, scheduled, regimented trng schedules/workouts---I got that with P90X.

Nothing I do prepares me for the elevation and lack of O2....I lived and train at sea level.

The key to long term fitness is discipline/consistency--proper diet, a scheduled trng regimen and don't forget proper rest.

Good luck on your journey!

a3dhunter

WKR
North Texas...bound to be a decent football stadium around with 15 or more rows. Find it and use it. Lots of fast single steps then lots of fast double steps.

That is exactly what I did when I lived in the Texas panhandle. Occasionally got some weird looks from some kids when I showed up with a multi-cam pack loaded full and started taking stairs until I couldn't breath anymore.
It worked.

That is exactly what I did when I lived in the Texas panhandle. Occasionally got some weird looks from some kids when I showed up with a multi-cam pack loaded full and started taking stairs until I couldn't breath anymore.
It worked.

Yep, I really get into it when they start practicing for football, they always give you funny looks but they give you respect when they start running the bleachers and they get gassed!