Building Arrows; It’s not Complicated

Ok so I’ve listened to several “long winded” podcasts recently regarding building arrows and which arrows are best and which components “you need” to build that perfect arrow. By the time I was done listening to all this crap, I am even more convinced that keeping it simple is all a guy needs to do.

I don’t need an 800 gr arrow to kill an elk. I don’t need a 500 gr arrow to kill an elk. I don’t need a 400 gr arrow to kill an elk.

What I do need is perfect (or as perfect as I can get) arrow flight. And it isn’t rocket science. I think all the arrow manufactures have charts that give you the spine you need with a particular arrow. Last time I looked at a chart (which has been a few years) because if it ain’t broke, I ain’t fixing it. But to the best of my recollection, it said I need a 340 arrow. GoldTip XT Hunters check that box. The guy who said Easton Axis are the clear cut winner obviously has not shot them from a D350 at 72 lbs with a 29” draw length. I’ve had those Axis arrows come apart after only impacts on my 3d target. Whereas I’ve hit trees, rocks and even a steel post with my GT’s and the arrows just keep on working without coming apart. But I digress. I did my homework and chose my arrows according to “my” findings.

So going off those charts I mentioned earlier, a 340 arrow cut at 28-1/8” gives me perfect fixed broadhead flight. But there are a couple things I do that do not require expensive inserts and all that other BS I heard on these podcasts. But if you can’t get your arrows to fly right it might be worth a listen.

After my arrows are cut to 28-1/8” from throat of nock to end of carbon, I mark the spine, then I take a G5 squaring tool and square the ends. Then I put the nock back in and glue in the insert. I screw in a SlickTrick and spin test. If I have a wobble I square the insert. I think I’ve only ever had 1 SlickTrick that just wouldn’t spin true.

This is all I do to get perfect flight with a fixed head. My 392gr total weight at 300 fps+ is all I need to kill elk sized animals. It really is that simple. Okay my rant is over. If you want to be a ranch fairy or let Snyder build your arrows, go for it. I’m sticking with what works for me 🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

Also of note is the very first thing I do. I make sure my bow is tuned to perfection.

Last edited:
I am amazed how tough it has become to build arrows. I was recent told I needed a 250 spine arrow. While I don’t mind the stuff arrows, I laugh at the need part. 26.75 carbon to carbon at 70# with 200 grains up front. Just a few years ago I was a 330-350 spine all day. I still have some injexions with 175 up front that fly great. So, I agree. Don’t over think it and build an arrow that flies straight.

Beendare

WKR
I think that Ashby and Tinkerbell have done more to save animals than any two guys in history-grin.

Misses due to their advice of massive FOC and very heavy arrows has given the rest of us more critters to harvest.

I think most guys benefit from an average middle-of-the-road set up then match your BH to that arrow.

Perfect arrow assembly doesn’t just happen….and its a critical factor in goid arrow flight.

Those basic tenants must not be sexy enough to get a lot of Social Media likes…

MattB

WKR
Assembling arrows is not hard. Start with quality shafts of the proper dynamic spine and use quality components that are properly aligned.

Can’t imagine trying to build one though. That seems complicated. I leave that to Easton.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What I do need is perfect (or as perfect as I can get) arrow flight.
Heck, you don't even need that. Most hunters have no idea how to tune their bows or pick the right arrows and components to go with that, and they still kill a lot of animals. Is that ideal? No. But for most it's good enough, and has worked for decades for them.

OP
trophyhill
Heck, you don't even need that. Most hunters have no idea how to tune their bows or pick the right arrows and components to go with that, and they still kill a lot of animals. Is that ideal? No. But for most it's good enough, and has worked for decades for them.
My form isn't perfect enough to make great shots from an untuned bow and sucky arrows and a fixed head. But my perfect arrows and a well tuned bow make up for that. As for those who dont give a damn about their arrows and tuned bow, to each his own. Especially if it works for them

I am often overwhelmed but the options and combinations. I've been reading and thinking more about knock tuning with my next set of arrows for next season. Of course, continually working on form and mechanics is first and foremost on the list.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I am often overwhelmed but the options and combinations. I've been reading and thinking more about knock tuning with my next set of arrows for next season. Of course, continually working on form and mechanics is first and foremost on the list.
Tuning each arrow, bare shaft, and nock tuning….. Then fletching when each arrow is indexed absolutely fixed my issues with inconsistent flight with Fixed blade broadheads. It really showed me how much fletching hides imperfections in arrow flight. I think a lot of dudes would be surprised if they cut their fletching off, and shot arrows at 10 yards, how not perfect they might fly.

Honesty is refreshing…. Best of luck in life
Thanks I seem to be doing pretty good at 38 years on earth.

But seriously.. what kind of response was the OP or you looking for?? No tech, no questions. Mostly seemed like a rant. I didn't tell the OP to F@wk 0FF. As a matter of fact... I wasn't negative at all.. I just said "cool story bro" because thats basically what the OP's post was... a story

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider

But seriously.. what kind of response was the OP or you looking for?? No tech, no questions. Mostly seemed like a rant. I didn't tell the OP to F@wk 0FF. As a matter of fact... I wasn't negative at all.. I just said "cool story bro" because thats basically what the OP's post was... a story
People gather in virtual places like this to trade ideas, and communicate with like-minded folks. We are in a tiny minority, so there’s value here.

Bring value to a conversation, or move on. Crapping on each other isn’t productive for anyone.
I wish you and your family the best!

Jethro

WKR
Ok so I’ve listened to several “long winded” podcasts recently regarding building arrows and which arrows are best and which components “you need” to build that perfect arrow. By the time I was done listening to all this crap, I am even more convinced that keeping it simple is all a guy needs to do.

I don’t need an 800 gr arrow to kill an elk. I don’t need a 500 gr arrow to kill an elk. I don’t need a 400 gr arrow to kill an elk.

What I do need is perfect (or as perfect as I can get) arrow flight. And it isn’t rocket science. I think all the arrow manufactures have charts that give you the spine you need with a particular arrow. Last time I looked at a chart (which has been a few years) because if it ain’t broke, I ain’t fixing it. But to the best of my recollection, it said I need a 340 arrow. GoldTip XT Hunters check that box. The guy who said Easton Axis are the clear cut winner obviously has not shot them from a D350 at 72 lbs with a 29” draw length. I’ve had those Axis arrows come apart after only impacts on my 3d target. Whereas I’ve hit trees, rocks and even a steel post with my GT’s and the arrows just keep on working without coming apart. But I digress. I did my homework and chose my arrows according to “my” findings.

So going off those charts I mentioned earlier, a 340 arrow cut at 28-1/8” gives me perfect fixed broadhead flight. But there are a couple things I do that do not require expensive inserts and all that other BS I heard on these podcasts. But if you can’t get your arrows to fly right it might be worth a listen.

After my arrows are cut to 28-1/8” from throat of nock to end of carbon, I mark the spine, then I take a G5 squaring tool and square the ends. Then I put the nock back in and glue in the insert. I screw in a SlickTrick and spin test. If I have a wobble I square the insert. I think I’ve only ever had 1 SlickTrick that just wouldn’t spin true.

This is all I do to get perfect flight with a fixed head. My 392gr total weight at 300 fps+ is all I need to kill elk sized animals. It really is that simple. Okay my rant is over. If you want to be a ranch fairy or let Snyder build your arrows, go for it. I’m sticking with what works for me 🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

Also of note is the very first thing I do. I make sure my bow is tuned to perfection.
You should try gluing some fletching on the nock end of the arrow. It will help with arrow flight.;)

OP
trophyhill

Yes it was a rant i guess you could say. I've been told so many times that i am way too light on my arrows for elk, i am just tired of hearing how i should be using heavier arrows. The elk I've killed don't know the difference on my arrow weight. Shot placement is everything no matter what weight or brand arrow one is shooting. You hit that leg knuckle or a gut shot, or most other "wounding" shots, weight typically is NOT going to make a substantial difference. Afterall, im not dropping 100 yard bombs on animals in the elk woods so the momentum thing really isn't a factor. In the end it's all about making great shots. And sometimes even great shots dont turn out the way we want it too.

I think that Ashby and Tinkerbell have done more to save animals than any two guys in history-grin.

Misses due to their advice of massive FOC and very heavy arrows has given the rest of us more critters to harvest.

I think most guys benefit from an average middle-of-the-road set up then match your BH to that arrow.

Perfect arrow assembly doesn’t just happen….and its a critical factor in goid arrow flight.

Those basic tenants must not be sexy enough to get a lot of Social Media likes…

Where did this guy come from????

Welcome back.