"Budget" Backpack

Benjblt

WKR
I'm trying to help a friend out. He needs a backpack for deer hunting. He needs it for day hunts and possible 2 nighters and be able to pack out at least half a deer. If I asked him I doubt he would know how many cubic inches he wants. I'd say around 5,000. He's got a budget of $250 but would probably stretch to $300 or $350 for a nice one. Any suggestions? I'm only familiar with Kuiu, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo. I think he'd like some pockets but mostly something that functions well and carries the weight well.

Duh

WKR
How about an eberlestock team elk pack? Pretty bomb proof and strong frame. Not the best load system but it’ll get half a deer easy. Rifle scabbard and bow strap included too.

He might want to check on the new Alps Elite. By signing up with my email, they gave a code that made it best bang for the buck. Half off on their website.
Loading mine with 40 lb training and it carries good.

I own two Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter packs. One cost me $200 shipped. The other cost me $150 when I picked it up locally. They are often a very good deal used and run circles around something like Eberlestock or Badlands. I prefer them to any other hunting pack on the market regardless of budget.

Dollar for dollar in that price range, it’s gonna be hard to beat that Horn Hunter Full Curl. Little heavy for dry pack weight but packed with features and hauls heavy weight well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also look for a steeply discounted mystery ranch. Maybe a discontinued model. I know I've seen them around that price point. They handle weight quite well

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Dollar for dollar in that price range, it’s gonna be hard to beat that Horn Hunter Full Curl. Little heavy for dry pack weight but packed with features and hauls heavy weight well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have a look at this one.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
Sportsman’s has mystery ranch terra frame 65 for $350.00 I think it is.
The 50 is around 3 bills.
I have a brand new Terraframe 65 I'll let you have for less than this, shipped. It is easily the best "new" load carrying pack mentioned here.

Last edited:

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a MR sawtooth in that pricerange that I use for deer and overnights. On the guidlight frame can still haul meat as good as anything else.

Agree with a previous comment regarding the Mystery Ranch Terraframe. It was my first pack and now that I have a Kifaru, I appreciate it even more. It's one solid pack for the price and pretty comfortable with load. My wife still uses hers primarily.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'd sell you an older Arc'teryx Bora 80 for like 80-100$. I used it as a Wilderness Ranger, it hauls weight real well. Obviously the meat has to go in the bag tho.