Bat vesper action medium or long

Does any one have any experience with either of these actions. I am going to place a order by first of next week. I have already talk a lil with unknown munitions about doing a build.
I own defiance, lone peak and two impact nbk actions currently.

Catridge choice 6.5PRC possibly a +P version

Bat vesper LA

If i get the long action I would run hawkins hunter dbm bottom metal and mag with spacer kit. Long action would cover me if i wanted to go larger cartridge down the road ( just planning ahead kinda thought) Only downside is there is a wait for a Manners LRH stock that i want. May potentially not be ready til after first of the year. Which is no big deal I have plenty of guns to get me by till then.

Bat vesper medium action

I have never owned or even considered a medium action. I can run alot of cartridges off medium action including 7PRC utilizing there bottom metal. If i go with a Vesper Medium the build would probably be done before the end of the year. Bc there are more medium components available it seems.

Weird thing i have a brand new Impact nbk LA sitting in my safe LOL

Does anyone have any experience with medium actions ? Are they as reliable feeding with different types of bottom metals etc. ( i was told some can be lil touchy on feeding issue)

Anyone here have experience with running short action magnums on long actions with hawkins hunter dbm?

Figured i would get some insite from other folks here on the forum. I can make since in my head of going either either direction. Sometimes is good to get outside input.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I personally prefer to go long action and would opt to use the UM bottom metal and magazine in either case. The feeding experience is almost as smooth as it is in a Tikka. I built a 6.5 SAUM on a Vesper using the UM BM and mag, and it fed without any issues. I tested a Medium at UM and found it to feed well too. Despite my attempts to make it jam, it didn't even hiccup.

I have a long action Vesper on a 338 NMI and it’s a super smooth action.

I also use the UM DBM and it feeds very well.

In a 6.5 PRC I would check with your preferred stock maker to see if they inlet for the mid length VESPER. If so that’s the route I would go. The long action can magazine feed a 3.950” cartridge and that’s not needed when the mid length can feed a 3.4” cartridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
BigCountry82
I have a long action Vesper on a 338 NMI and it’s a super smooth action.

I also use the UM DBM and it feeds very well.

In a 6.5 PRC I would check with your preferred stock maker to see if they inlet for the mid length VESPER. If so that’s the route I would go. The long action can magazine feed a 3.950” cartridge and that’s not needed when the mid length can feed a 3.4” cartridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
A bat medium vesper shares the same inlet as a lone peak medium action. Unknown has them in on the shelf for there builds. I like the concept behind the vesper actions. Plus is you get one like a long it gives you options like running a hawkins spacer kit. Or running a CIP length magazine or there 3.950 mags. The medium also gives you a few more choices.

OP
BigCountry82
I personally prefer to go long action and would opt to use the UM bottom metal and magazine in either case. The feeding experience is almost as smooth as it is in a Tikka. I built a 6.5 SAUM on a Vesper using the UM BM and mag, and it fed without any issues. I tested a Medium at UM and found it to feed well too. Despite my attempts to make it jam, it didn't even hiccup.
Thank for the input boss. I am tempted to go with a 6.5 SAUM Imp +p. I see they just completed a build. I wouldnt mind seeing the what that does over the standard 6.5 Saum.

OP
BigCountry82
So since you already have the LA nbk, I'd use that. Go with hawkins hunter dbm and 300prc mag, but install their mag spacer that's designed for short mags in the LA magazine.
Gives 3.35" usable magazine
So since you already have the LA nbk, I'd use that. Go with hawkins hunter dbm and 300prc mag, but install their mag spacer that's designed for short mags in the LA magazine.
Gives 3.35" usable magazine length.
Yes definitely a option. But I probably wouldnt make my target weight. The NBK is a heavy action. Id would probably be 10-12lbs ready to hunt.

Thank for the input boss. I am tempted to go with a 6.5 SAUM Imp +p. I see they just completed a build. I wouldnt mind seeing the what that does over the standard 6.5 Saum.

I built a 6.5 SAUM Imp with a 45° shoulder. In a 21” 7.5 twist Hells Canyon carbon barrel it shoots 130 Terminal Ascents @ 3250 with H1000.

Working up a load using Berger 144LRHT with H1000.

I could get more velocity with N568/N570 but it’s hard on throats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
BigCountry82
I built a 6.5 SAUM Imp with a 45° shoulder. In a 21” 7.5 twist Hells Canyon carbon barrel it shoots 130 Terminal Ascents @ 3250 with H1000.

Working up a load using Berger 144LRHT with H1000.

I could get more velocity with N568/N570 but it’s hard on throats.

Probably put a 147gr or 156gr in the 3150fps range. That definitely food for thought there.

Probably put a 147gr or 156gr in the 3150fps range. That definitely food for thought there.

Maybe. But interior ballistics get funky on these modified cases sometimes.

My 264 Win Mag Improved is fighting me a bit right now. It’s pressuring up early using 156 EOLs.

H1000, Retumbo, N568, N570, RL33, LRT are all hitting pressure before anticipated velocity.

I had a bit of a carbon ring but even after removing that it’s still hitting pressure too quick.

With a 28” barrel it has and should easily hit 3250-3300 but it’s getting a stuck bolt in the high 3000 to mid 3100 range.

It’s to the point that case fill us becoming a concern. I typically like a 95-100% fill but some of these are hitting pressure at 87% fill and I’m not comfortable with that.

OP
BigCountry82

My 264 Win Mag Improved is fighting me a bit right now. It’s pressuring up early using 156 EOLs.

H1000, Retumbo, N568, N570, RL33, LRT are all hitting pressure before anticipated velocity.

I had a bit of a carbon ring but even after removing that it’s still hitting pressure too quick.

With a 28” barrel it has and should easily hit 3250-3300 but it’s getting a stuck bolt in the high 3000 to mid 3100 range.

It’s to the point that case fill us becoming a concern. I typically like a 95-100% fill but some of these are hitting pressure at 87% fill and I’m not comfortable with that.

Thats is definitely a phenomenon. I am by far reloading or rifle diagnostic expert. But if you added a +p throat would that elevate the pressuring up before max case fill. An the work back up ?

OP
BigCountry82

Or would using a faster burning powder help out. Like h4831sc