Brunton Carbon Fiber tripod $59 shipped

colonel00

WKR
Mine arrived yesterday as well. Pretty decent overall. This thing is a beast compared to my usual tripod.

Quick tip, I went to the hardware store and got a 2" compression spring. Placed it on the shaft of the hook between the bottom cap and the insert the hook screws into. This keeps the hook retracted when not needed.

OP
HookUp

HookUp

WKR
Not so beasty when modded down for a sitting tripod. I never glass standing so I sacraficed this guy and we are now lean.

image upload without registration
Sleekens up without the foam bumbers. I tried to break the lower leg extensions I removed with my hands and let the kids play swords with them. They seem field tough.

image upload no compression
Coming in at 1.7 oz over an outdoorsman medium, I can live with that.

Last edited:

three5x5s

WKR
Mine arrived yesterday as well. Pretty decent overall. This thing is a beast compared to my usual tripod.

Quick tip, I went to the hardware store and got a 2" compression spring. Placed it on the shaft of the hook between the bottom cap and the insert the hook screws into. This keeps the hook retracted when not needed.

Quick tip:
Be VERY careful pulling the hook out as it has 2 tiny spring loaded ball bearings that hold it in. They can bounce and hide very well.

Juan_ID

WKR
Quick tip:
Be VERY careful pulling the hook out as it has 2 tiny spring loaded ball bearings that hold it in. They can bounce and hide very well.
Is there supposed to be 2 springs and 2 ball bearings? I took the hook out of mine and they all flew out but I only found 1 spring but both bearings...

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, two of each. Seems kind of over engineered though. I'll probably just go with my spring and just a nut on the end of the hook shaft.

three5x5s

WKR
Yep, 2 of each. If i had spent more time reading colonel00's post I would not have pulled the hook out to see how long a spring I needed,

colonel00

WKR
Yep, 2 of each. If i had spent more time reading colonel00's post I would not have pulled the hook out to see how long a spring I needed,

Heh, but where's the fun in that :D. Honestly, I just took that whole piece off the legs and took it to the hardware store. It took some trial and error to not only get the right length but the right tension to hold the hook up but not be too difficult to pull down to hang stuff.

I don't know how helpful this will be but here is a photo. I believe it was spring #3 at Ace Hardware.

20160221_205057_zps41ogw82w.jpg

Got mine today. The bet $60 I've spent in a long time, awesome tripod. Now time for some mods!

I liked the idea of removing leg sections...would like to figure out how to remove the upper, thicker sections instead of the lower sections. Honestly for sitting you probably could do with just one section. Will have to tinker and do some beer thinking.

GotDraw?

WKR
Dos Perros,
I believe your new tripod will also stabilize beer-goggles; thus, your beer-thinking should be optimized!
JL

Juan_ID

WKR
Did anyone buy the aluminum tripod too? If so what's the quality like on it? Debating buying one just to have as an extra one for around the truck, thanks

How do you replace the head on these? I turned mine when it was locked and it popped and is now wobbly

Peter K

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I just ordered one! I was looking at ordering a Promaster, but for 240 bucks less, ill take it.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
I missed it again...but they had one for sale on amazon at the same time for the same price. Might as well give it a whirl.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16 KJV

cant think of any item here that has gotten such a long run...never thought this thing would get to 100 posts,,,here goes