Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed, 7 PRC Field Evaluation

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
For those of us considering picking up one of these, what are your thoughts? I’m waiting on the speed SPR model in 7PRC to arrive which is a 20” barrel and will be suppressed. The long range performance is impressive but that 12/20 is worrisome to say the least.
I believe form mentioned it- but if you swapped to a SRS break or suppressor I think it would offset some of the shortfalls he experienced. It has a lot going for it- 60 degree bolt throw, flush mags, solid accuracy, decent factory stock and the street price at roughly 1200. And preferred is making carbon barrels for them now for future replacement. I’d personally opt for the speed spr versions and maybe a trigger spring swap.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
I believe form mentioned it- but if you swapped to a SRS break or suppressor I think it would offset some of the shortfalls he experienced. It has a lot going for it- 60 degree bolt throw, flush mags, solid accuracy, decent factory stock and the street price at roughly 1200. And preferred is making carbon barrels for them now for future replacement. I’d personally opt for the speed spr versions and maybe a trigger spring swap.
Trigger spring is going to be 100% done for sure. Most likely an aftermarket stock depending on what Stocky’s comes out with this summer.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is this to run another helos through the ringer to see if it’s up to snuff now?

Yes. Well to confirm what they are doing. There are a couple of people that generally seem to have their heads screwed on right, that are saying there’s are working well.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Well to confirm what they are doing. There are a couple of people that generally seem to have their heads screwed on right, that are saying there’s are working well.

Cool. It’d be nice to have the option. It’s not perfect, but if it were reliable at that price point with those features, it’d be a pretty neat little rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Why are we reviewing rifles with scopes that have failed the eval?

Well, it’s a brand new scope, the scope doesn’t effect the rifle eval, and this one will be used to see if the drops are what is breaking the scope- in other words, does it generally work but is fragile?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Cool. It’d be nice to have the option. It’s not perfect, but if it were reliable at that price point with those features, it’d be a pretty neat little rig.

It’s pretty obvious that they don’t do well with impacts- two of them don’t fail back to back from drops if hey could take impacts. So at best it’s a range toy for me. However, I am curious to see what the difference is between what the first tie showed, and what others are saying.

It’s zeroed how, and the rifle went several weeks in the truck getting banged on and held zero with the Trijicon… so we’ll see.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I guess since you’ve already shown how the rifle can shoot the scope would be first suspect if the groups began to open up or act weird

Absolutely. I don’t expect anything weird with the rifle, and it’s an easy swap to check if something does start.

The real question is what will the barrel life be on it?

nobody

WKR
The real question is what will the barrel life be on it?
This is one of my big questions. For an out of the box rifle I like the X Bolt on paper, and mine was extremely accurate, but I’ve heard horror stories about their rebarrel capabilities.

When you do shoot the barrel out, any chance you’ll have it rebarreled to see?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This is one of my big questions. For an out of the box rifle I like the X Bolt on paper, and mine was extremely accurate, but I’ve heard horror stories about their rebarrel capabilities.

Rebarreling isn’t hard on them. It’s that most “gunsmith” aren’t actual gunsmiths and don’t want to, or know how to do anything but screw Lego R700 guns together.

When you do shoot the barrel out, any chance you’ll have it rebarreled to see?

Unlikely. Browning wants the rifle back at the end, and I do not have a real use for a lightweight magnum.

Unckebob

WKR
@Formidilosus I have this new style Recoil Hawg Muzzle Brake if you want to try it out, it's 5/8-24. It should minimize the blast out of the bottom and the associated dust and debris kicked up.

It's sitting around doing nothing and I am curious about how well you think it performs versus the factory radial design.

Edit, I see Browning is going backwards and using the metric threads for muzzle brakes.

View attachment 709101

My new X Bolt came with one (I was expecting a spiral brake). It looks idiotic on my lightweight hunting rifle. Luckily, I plan to run a suppressor on my rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 44