Brooks Range Boots

Thinking I might need something a lot better than my Meindl Dovres for hunting this region, better for trekking thru wetlands. What's ideal? Price is no issue but weight is a factor. Pack weight w/ weapon in 75lbs.

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Lowa Sheep hunters on all my hunts and I have hunted the Brooks Range a lot.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I wear Lowa Sheep hunters on all my hunts and I have hunted the Brooks Range a lot.

I have a pair of Wiggy's Lightweight Waders...think they're tough enough to hold up? I like the weight but I see a lot of guy wearing very high boots. Would like to hear from some more AK guys.

direwolf

FNG
Lacrosse Alphaburley uninsulated for all my moose and tundra country hunts. Love em.

Lil-Rokslider
Bruce,
If you are talking about the ones that slip over your hunting boots, they will work for stream crossing but don't expect to do a lot of walking in them and expect them to last. I have a pair of them also. I have used Lacrose Ankle fit knee boots and had good luck with them. It also depends on what type of hunt you are doing (float, lake drop-off, hiking style) and what animal. To me ankle support is a must in our remote country because I would hate to ruin my hunt from a sprang/broken ankle. The tundra is like a big spunge and can be ruff on your ankles along with a lot of the other moose country. Just my 2 cents. Who are you flying with?

I like knee high rubber boots that are comfortable for the tundra. If the hunt is on the tundra, that's what I will be wearing. Used Mucks last year on a few trips and will use the same for this August. Might not work for everyone, but they worked great for me.

Last September for my Alaska Range moose hunt I took a pair of Asolo hiking boots and a pair of muck boots. The Asolo's were worn on the day in and the day out. I wore the muck boots the remainder of the time and was actually amazed at how happy I was and we did some pretty extensive hiking as we were operating out of a base camp.

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I hunted the interior on a float hunt. I wore waist high waders most of the time and my Kenetreks when I was on dry solid ground which was about 5% of the time. Next time I'm bringing some type of muck boot instead of the Kenetreks.

Ray

WKR
I have been wearing Lacrosse Alpha Burley knee boots for the last three years, and Xtra Tuff's before that. One season with the Cabelas' version of the Alpha, but they dry rotted in 8 months and were sent back.

If you are on tundra or willow brush having a pair of good fitting ankle supporting rubber boots is pretty important. The newer style of boots with a light hiker style of sole and last is pretty nice for all day hiking in the slop.

duchntr

WKR
Last slope trip I went on (last year) I used my leather hiking boots and my wife used some xtra tuffs... we were both happy. Do whatever makes you feel happy inside

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
consider your camping and hunting terrain. typical moose country is wet and boggy unless you're on a ridge-drop hunt. For rivers and wetlands with any potential for boggy areas, i wear GoreTex waders that i keep rolled to my waist most days. No need for raingear lowers, and they're comfortable with a good pair of lace-up wading boots with lug soles.

For elevation points in the Brooks, Lowa's and gators.

LB

I think most guys who are into serious gear (and serious boots) will tend to discount rubber or neoprene boots for big hunts. That's a mistake in my book, simply because nothing will keep water out better than rubber. I've made the mistake of going on such hunts and believing I should wear boots costing $200 on up. It seemed wrong to show up with hundred-dollar Lacrosse boots, but that's what I should have brought. I've had and heard all the talk about ankle support, traction, blah...blah...etc. No leather boot will stop you from rolling an ankle if you step on a tussock while carrying 100# of meat on a one-mile stagger through the bush. There is no leather boot that won't absorb some water into the leather if repeatedly wetted and not allowed to dry. I've got good friends who hunt moose every single year in some of the nastiest terrain you'll ever see, and all they ever wear is plain rubber hip boots. In 2014 I brought Lacrosse Alphas for a 12 day hunt (same terrain) and left the expensive leather boots at home. My feet have never had a better hunt, and I was completely happy with that choice. I think the key to making rubber boots work is a combination of correct sock choices and changing socks once in the middle of the day.

Moose are sometimes called swamp donkeys for a reason. Think about that before choosing a boot.

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,

I feel your post was directed toward my comment and that is fine, its your opinion. I never said a leather boot would stop you from twisting/breaking a ankle or keep your feet dryer then rubber boots. But there is no rubber boot that I have seen that gives as much ankle support as a good leather boot. Rubber boots get wet faster on the inside from sweat/heat and will stay wet until they are dried also. The problem I have had with neoprene boots/waders is freezing over night and that makes for cold feet the next morning. Bottom line is good foot care and wear a boot that fits/comfortable to you wether it be leather, rubber or plastic.

Moose might be called swamp donkeys but just as many are shoot along the road system.

Kevin,

I feel your post was directed toward my comment.....

450, actually you would be completely wrong about that. I didn't have the slightest interest in refuting what you said and wasn't trying to do that. You simply interpreted my contribution as targeting yours....again; not in the least. Thank you.

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,

My bad and everything is good. I have also thought about trying the boots that have tops that unroll to make hip boots. I just haven't seen any in person to really look at them and see how they fit.

direwolf

FNG
I used to take 2 or 3 pair of boots moose hunting every season, but after spending hundreds of days in the swamps and tundra the LaCrosse Alphaburley uninsulated was the best tool for the job. Sock rotation is another key part of making it work.

Larry's suggestion also sounded really good and would be the way to go if you had many rivers and creeks to cross.