Broadhead of choice

Thehoss08

FNG
Curious what everyone’s broadhead of choice is these days. I was a Montec guy for a long time after they hit the streets then moved to T3s after being unable to tighten up my groups with the fixed blades. I didn’t need any more error, let alone doubt when the moment came. I was also chasing white tails shooting 100 gr. What about for elk?

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Zillions of opinions on this topic. Hard to say if anyone's right or wrong in the common fixed vs mechanical debates. That said, I'm shooting Rage NC this season. Rage has treated me well for as long as I can remember so I shoot them with confidence. :p

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
Good to know the debate still rages on for bigger game in the west as it does for whitetail in the east.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I have always used Muzzy 125 MX3 or standards for white tails. I’m going with 125 VPAs for elk this fall.

Rob5589

WKR
How’s the accuracy/precision?
If asking about the BH, shoots the same as field points, no significant drop out to 80 yds. Generally, I don't shoot groups so as not to damage shafts but, I shoot at a 6" dot at 80 and have no issues dropping them in there, or darn close, depending on how I am feeling that day.

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
Y’all have any additional tuning required or right out of the box with field point tuned bow?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Tune with a broadhead and field point. Always shoot a practice broadhead.
I’m shooting Iron Will V100 this year. Had great results with ViperTricks in the past.
Pick any quality head and put it where it’s supposed to go and sharpen the knife.

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
I’ve never been able to tune my field tips and BHs together. Are they supposed to be like shooting one in the same? The BHs would always plane off in tight grouping to another position on the target relative to the field tips. Am I missing something? At the end of the day the reliability of a fixed blade will never be overtaken by mechanicals, and the extra performance isn’t worth the risk of mechanical failure. However, I made the switch based on confident accuracy.

For my bow, I didn’t have to do any tuning. With that being said you want to make sure that you shoot your set up with a broad head. Every bow set up is different and arrows play a big role in how the broad head will fly as well.

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
Absolutely. I ran the charts for spine selection on my arrows. I’m gonna have to give it another shot. What’s the prevailing opinion on montecs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never been able to tune my field tips and BHs together. Are they supposed to be like shooting one in the same? The BHs would always plane off in tight grouping to another position on the target relative to the field tips. Am I missing something? At the end of the day the reliability of a fixed blade will never be overtaken by mechanicals, and the extra performance isn’t worth the risk of mechanical failure. However, I made the switch based on confident accuracy.

You may want to try some different arrows. The stiffness of the arrow plays a big role in how a fixed blade will fly. Another thing you can try is fletching an arrow with 4 vanes for added stability with the fixed blade.

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
That’s a badass looking tip. 3-blade? Cutting diameter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
Now there’s a concept. How do I get my wife into this stuff! Then the gear budget would get closer to where I want it. Well I guess I’d have to bring her on hunts too. Double edged sword.