2024 Spring Bear Thread

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
First bear, archery 16 yards. It's a North Central Ontario bear and suffice to say I am hooked. He doesn't compare to some of those in here but he's pretty special to me. Im slightly narcoleptic and you can see below when the bear came in and when I recovered him. I know they say Spring bear are lean, but I've got 10 of those little jam jars of rendered fat out him.

Man people are having great spring bear seasons.
Great first bear. That’s awesome. The heart rest data is pretty cool to see. I imagine we all do that, I know the adrenaline rush and then the drop back to normal is something else.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
We killed 3 ten footers plus at the end of the peninsula. 10’1, 10’2 and 10’4. Weather was terrible and bear sightings were down, so all three of us were blessed to do that well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I guess that’s an Ok week 😁. I’d love to hear more about it. What outfitter? Why’d you pick that outfitter? About how many bears did y’all see during the hunt? Basically any other details about the hunt you want to share. Getting a 10’ on the peninsula is my dream hunt.

Osprey87

FNG
22" skull, bear was north of 450lbs. Shot was 155 yards with 6.5cm. Took out both lungs and heart he went 10 yards and dropped

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240616_064525_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240616_064525_Gallery.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20240518-WA0008 (1)2.jpg
    IMG-20240518-WA0008 (1)2.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20240518-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240518-WA0007.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 34

Osprey87

FNG
That’s a giant! I’d love to hear more of the story
Was one of those odd turn of events, just went out for a cruise in the local mountains that no one ever hunts. Saw 2 small bears on the way up into the mountains, hiked up another mountain just to see a solid bear crest the ridge into the tree line (decent 6 footer). I grabbed the predator call an started wailing on it but he had no interest in coming back out. I remembered the logging company made some nice new cuts 12km further back into the mountains so we headed on over there. Once we got there the cuts were looking fantastic for growth, you knew there just had to be a bear back there with all the green up, we were just slowly creeping along the road and my buddy spots a basketball size patch of hair in the smaller trees that the colour just doesn't look like it fits. Throw the glass up just as he walks out of sight down into a small creek bed. I know the direction he's walking to I quickly run ahead throw my pack on the ground, get lined up for when he comes out of that creek bed and onto a small hill. Waited for him to stop walking for just a second and smacked him, odd thing was he didn't run he didn't even flinch so I racked another round as quick as I could for another shot but he walks even into another group of trees before I can get a 2nd shot. I waited behind the gun for him to pop out of those small trees or hear him taking off into the thick timber down in the cut. 10 mins go by an not a sound, at this point we have 45 mins of light at most so we decided to go in there now to find some sort of blood to even see if he's hit, tracking bears in the dark suck so off we go. Get down into the group of trees and he laying underneath stone dead.

Rogue Bay

WKR
Was one of those odd turn of events, just went out for a cruise in the local mountains that no one ever hunts. Saw 2 small bears on the way up into the mountains, hiked up another mountain just to see a solid bear crest the ridge into the tree line (decent 6 footer). I grabbed the predator call a started wailing on it but he had no interest in coming back out. I remembered the logging company made some nice new cuts 12km further back into the mountains so we headed on over there. Once we got there the cuts were looking fantastic for growth, you knew there just had to be a bear back there with all the green up, we were just slowly creeping along the road and my buddy spots a basketball size patch of hair in the smaller trees that the colour just doesn't look like it fits. Throw the glass up just as he walks out of sight down into a small creek bed. I know the direction he's walking to I quickly run ahead throw my pack on the ground, get lined up for when he comes out of that creek bed and onto a small hill. Waited for him to stop walking for just a second and smacked him, odd thing was he didn't run he didn't even flinch so I racked another round as quick as I could for another shot but he walks even into another group of trees before I can get a 2nd shot. I waited behind the gun for him to pop out of those small trees or hear him taking off into the thick timber down in the cut. 10 mins go by an not a sound, at this point we have 45 mins of light at most so we decided to go in there now to find some sort of blood to even see if he's hit, tracking bears in the dark suck so off we go. Get down into the group of trees and he laying underneath stone dead.
That’s incredible. Thanks for sharing with us and congratulations on the bear of many lifetimes! Funny how hunts just work out sometimes, and rarely the way we envision, at least for me.

How old of a bear are you thinking he is?

Osprey87

FNG
Hard to say, his teeth aren't worn down much. See if I can't find someone locally who's better at aging then myself. Odd thing about this bear was it was mid May when I harvested him but there was well over 6 inches of fat on him. Almost like he didn't hibernate or was up early and feeding. We had a mild winter in BC especially down in the coast

Attachments

• 20240609_173737.jpg
    20240609_173737.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 12

Rogue Bay

WKR
Hard to say, his teeth aren't worn down much. See if I can't find someone locally who's better at aging than myself. Odd thing about this bear was it was mid May when I harvested him but there was well over 6 inches of fat on him. Almost like he didn't hibernate or was up early and feeding. We had a mild winter in BC especially down in the coast
His teeth are certainly in good shape. Beautiful skull!

The biggest spring bears I’ve been around were all much fatter than I would have expected a spring bear to be. My biggest bear had almost 3” over the hams.