Breathable snake gaiters

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a close rattler encounter, I too am looking for recommendations on snake gaiters. @mtwarden I know you do a lot of off-trail hiking...do you use them at all?

Thankfully no rattlers to worry about here :)

Sounds like a pretty tall order though- something with enough fabric to stop a snake bite, but breathe at the same time

brentr9

FNG
+1 for Turtleskins. We’ve been wearing them for a few years. I haven’t personally been struck but have heard first hand reports from non-salesman. We add a loop of shock cord at the bottom to keep them I place

ArmyAg97

FNG
Another for Turtleskins - but I wouldn't describe them as breathable, but better than any other option I've found.

I have talked to friends that were hit with rattlesnakes in both Turtlekins and Listos. I've also taken needles and pushed them through both to test for myself since I own both brands. I found it takes the same amount of pressure to poke one through both. A snake is not getting through either one. I wouldn't read too much into a legal disclaimer - a small company would be stupid not to put a disclaimer on a product like this these days. I don't think Tutrtleskins guarantee snakeproof 100% of the time either. Like the Listos, they say they've been tested using live rattlesnakes. Look at the Listo website - they have videos of live snakes too. I can say that I've personally walked through thousands of different cactus in my Listos and never once had a thorn punch through. I have zero worries about snakes wearing them.

Tonto

FNG
I have talked to friends that were hit with rattlesnakes in both Turtlekins and Listos. I've also taken needles and pushed them through both to test for myself since I own both brands. I found it takes the same amount of pressure to poke one through both. A snake is not getting through either one. I wouldn't read too much into a legal disclaimer - a small company would be stupid not to put a disclaimer on a product like this these days. I don't think Tutrtleskins guarantee snakeproof 100% of the time either. Like the Listos, they say they've been tested using live rattlesnakes. Look at the Listo website - they have videos of live snakes too. I can say that I've personally walked through thousands of different cactus in my Listos and never once had a thorn punch through. I have zero worries about snakes wearing them.
I’m curious about the difference in weight and bulkiness between the Listo and Turtleskins. Any major difference in your opinion?

Same, more or less. Listo is 2.8 oz heavier on my scale, but that’s probably just due to upsize zippers (which actually work when dirty and easier to get started), and the stirrup (which I think is absolutely essential).

Here is one of each folded up in my hand. They are equally pliable / packable.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 6