brand new hunter has a simple question for everyone.

Well, I finally did it. Getting my hunting license has always been on my bucket list and a couple of weeks ago I got off my butt and did my hunters safety course. The lure of excitement, the call of the wild, the love of new experiences and just plain getting out of the house all playing a part in putting me to action. Nutritional reasons maybe played largest part along with wanting more of a connection to where my food comes from playing into it. It would do vast numbers of people in this country good to learn more about how their food is produced. I know I'll it's going to be challenging and I want to get the most out of my very first season. So, if I may, let me ask if you could go back in time and give yourself some veteran advice at the beginning of you very first hunting season what would it be?

Welcome to the club! Enjoy the experience, have patience, and don't get overwhelmed. Keep it safe and simple as you grow in experience, your confidence will grow. Have FUN!

If you can, find someone with similar values to go with a few times. It will shorten your learning curve tremendously.

Also, don't forget it's supposed to be fun. You'll certainly encounter situations that are undoubtedly "not fun" in themselves, but the overall experience should be.

I started big game hunting 35 years ago when I was 15. I still remember that first deer and elk season vividly. There is one thing I would have given me advice on if I could have........GET RID OF THE COTTON CLOTHES. That would be the biggest, the next would have been, get a decent sleeping bag. I froze every night.

As mentioned earlier, be patient, have a good time, and don't expect to kill something on your first time afield (although it does happen sometimes). In addition to that I would say:

Practice shooting from different positions; kneeling, prone, standing, leaning against a tree, sitting on a stump/stool. For some reason animals tend to not give you a shot opportunity where you can stand straight up, shoulders facing the target, and so on. I know, downright rude and uncooperative, right!!!

Don't go charging after your game after the shot. Watch where it goes and what it does. Wait till it drops and then wait 15-30 minutes longer to be sure it has died. You don't want to walk up on it and kick it up out of its bed, it will run even farther and hide even better than it did initially.

Think the whole hunt through and train/prepare yourself for the end game as well. I hate to think of how many new hunters spend hours of time and lots of money on gear and target practice only to have an animal on the ground and then say, S*&t!!! Now what do I do?

~ Learn how to field dress whatever it is you are hunting, going with a experienced friend is a good way to learn.
~ Have a plan on how you will get your game back to your vehicle and to a butcher (if you are not going to do the butchering yourself).
~ Oh, and have a butcher already lined up, you don't want to spend a couple of days trying to find one while you deer hands in the warm temperatures of your garage.

Larry

Here is Ca, we do not have the herd numbers that many other western states have, and our hunter success rates are usually significantly lower. It generally takes the vast majority of new hunters here in Ca, 5 or more years to harvest their first big game animal, on average. So, I suggest that you go into this with that in mind, and hunt places that you enjoy, so that you begin making some wonderful memories prior to any harvest. I also suggest that you try to find an experienced, consistently successful hunting mentor, so that that learning curve can be shortened. For example, I took 2 new guys under my wing a few short years ago. One was an upland bird hunter, and he thought he would take the same approach to deer hunting; walk until you see bucks. I had him follow me, while I patiently explained what I was doing and why. I pointed out travel routes, escape routes, feeding areas, bedding areas... when we stopped and sat down to glass areas, he thought we were wasting our time. When I laid back to close my eyes for 5 to 10 minutes, while instructing him to continue glassing, he thought I was wasting his time and only wanted a cat nap. Until about the third time (different spots) I sat back up, and pointed out bucks to him. I managed to put him, and my other partner on their first big game animals (deer) and have done so every year since despite having them hunt on their own a few days of every hunt. My point here is not to brag, it's to point out that this next season will be the 4th and 5th year hunting deer, respectively, and they are just barely experienced enough to successfully harvest bucks on their own.

If you can, get out and scout year round, not so much to see animals, but to learn the areas that the animals use, and when they use them. Understanding why, will likely take much much longer. Ask every question you have, no matter how silly you think others might think it is. Gear, you need to be comfortable to not only enjoy the experience, but to think effectively while hunting; but you don't necessarily need expensive gear. Don't get me wrong, if you stick with hunting, you will end up with some nice gear, but you need experience much more than the best gear. Read, and learn about your prey; but keep in mind, that elk tactics, will not be very effective on deer... Did I mention to not be afraid to ask questions, and try to get an experienced consistently successful mentor.

Best of luck!

The 2 posts above by Larry & Bubblehide have some absolute knowledge in them.

The only thing I can add is that optics is the 1 area where spending the $$ is worth it. You don't have to spend $1000 on a bino to find deer, but there is nothing at Walmart worth spending your hard earned cash on.

I would highly recommend picking up the book The Mindful Carnivore and reading that as season approaches. You will likely have ideological differences w/ the author, but Tovar does a great job on carrying the reader along as he wrestles with the complexities of learning to hunt - from choosing a rifle caliber to the uneasiness of taking life. Great read I would highly recommend for someone in your shoes. Best of luck on your journey!

After knowledge, the next most important thing is persistence, keep trying, and eventually success will follow. But, if you get burned out, take a break. I would hate to know how many animals snuck by me when I was younger, getting frustrated, and not paying enough attention to my surroundings.

Watch some Youtube videos on how to field dress whatever you are hunting.

Hunt something in addition to big game. I don't know what your options are in California, but I hunt turkey, pheasant, and squirrel. It gets you into the woods, keeps you sharp, and some of the skills are transferrable.

Good Luck.

You might also pay attention to your personal evolution as a hunter. You will likely note elevated stages of personal growth as it (your hunter spirit) relates to the elements of pursuit that change your idealogy, reasons, and purposes for hunting.

Things like being:

Shooting driven
Success driven
Method driven
Sportsmanship driven
Conservation driven

As you pass in and out of these distinct stages of hunting personal growth, you'll begin to see other hunters "acting out" their progressively personal evolution. It is this, i believe, that helps us gain an appreciation (or respect) for other hunters. Awareness of these stages also assists we mentors in effective teaching skillsets that eventually motivate new hunters to explore these stages with both enthusiasm and awareness.

Just something to chew on while your scouting or in hot pursuit of the end goal...to eat wild meat and feel good about it.

LB

Priorities:

1. Safety
2. Fun
3. Success

Depending on what/how you are hunting, hunting all day can be mind-wrenching. Take something along to pass the time if you want (book, etc.) Don't forget why you are out there, but don't take it or yourself so seriously.

Everyone has pretty much summed it up, but here are the things I would tell a younger myself:

1 - Hunting should not be success driven, but rather great experience driven (Or, success shouldn't be measured on killing something first trips out)

2 - Safety is first priority

3 - Make it a habit to always pay attention to the wind - I think I made this shift after I had been hunting for 3 or 4 years, and I started being much more successful after I dedicated more time to details, like wind, not outlining my body etc.

4 - for me, hunting is something I get to enjoy with my family, and sometimes alone, but it has always been about building memories.

5 - Gonna be Rokslide heresy, but you don't need to start out with super nice, super spendy gear to be successful and have fun. Gear can be added as you mature as a hunter and build your own style and preference, but don't start hunting with swaros etc... unless you have lots of money :) It has taken me 15 years or so to build up what I like/ higher quality gear. First deer I shot was with a $300 used rifle and scope, $40 walmart shoes, and my soccer MVP hoodie (100% cotton no less)... and it was one of my best memories. Now, since I was 15, I have changed up and upgraded gear, and it is more efficient, lighter etc, BUT you can get out there for not a ton of money and have a great time learning :)

6 - Find someone who knows how to hunt, and learn as much from them as you possibly can!

7 - Just get out in the woods... experience will teach you lots!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back