Bowtech SS34

Rainyday

FNG
Has anyone here had a chance to shoot this bow yet? If so what were your impressions? If I decide to upgrade this year it’s one I’m considering but I haven’t seen one in person yet

I shoot a v3x 33 for reference and love my bow. 70 lbs 30.5” mods for my 31.125” draw length. I shot the ss at those specs.

Shot the ss 34 at the bow shop for about 6 shots yesterday. The ss is a good looking bow.

Feels good in hand. I like the groove on the front of the riser where my bow hand index finger would rest on the riser. I like the slender grip. I feel like getting a consistent torque free grip will be fast and easy with this bow.

Only shot it in comfort, didn’t want to bother the shop right then to flip to performance. The draw was very smooth with no hump to the back wall. It felt like I was holding very little weight. I don’t know the holding weight but I felt effortless to get back there and then to hold it. I don’t remember if I tried to see how it felt to draw down.

I did put a conquest stabilizer on it with a couple ounces. I feel when you try a bow you should shoot it how you’d likely rig it in terms of stabilizers or at least put a little stabilizer on it. My conquest stab doesn’t have extra dampening material on it.

The shot felt good. It also felt quiet but it’s hard to tell in the indoor environment I was in and the limited number of shots I took. It did have a light vibration after the shot that I could feel in the grip that went up and down the riser for about 2 seconds. It didn’t buzz or make a sound and it was not at all unpleasant feeling. Just something I’m not used to compared with my Mathews. I would probably move one of the orbital dampeners to the top if I were to shoot it more.

One of my buddies is about to get back into Bowhunting and the ss is one I am recommending he shoot along with the phase 4 33. I think the reviews I’ve seen show the ss is actually slightly faster in performance than the phase 4. I like the idea of leaving the rest at center shot and only tuning with the cams on left to right even on micro tuning for fixed broadhead. Love deadlock tech for doing it while you are in the yard shooting targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk see

OP
R

Rainyday

FNG
Great review thank you. I’ve never owned a bowtech but the deadlock is the main reason I’m considering one. It seems so nice for broadhead tuning. I’m not sure why more manufacturers don’t have a way to move the cams without a press

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I really like the SS 34. If I needed a bow, I’d probably be ordering one. I really enjoyed the solution SS and actually just ordered my wife one, but the 34 feels very similar (obviously) with a more comfortable string angle for me. That’s one bow that makes me wish I could get another. And agreed, I really like the ease of tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
The people at RMSgear told me that is the best bow they have shot ever. I shoot a Reckoning and believe their assessment enough that I went in there to shoot new bows for grins, and left without shooting any so one wouldn't follow me home.

Noklok

FNG
First bow I have shot that I would consider switching from my Solution SS to. In fact I’m planning on it as soon as I’m done hunting this year. Great draw cycle. Nice length and brace height. Gains about 10 fps in performance with a 400 g arrow. That’s at equal poundage but as a hunting bow speed should be tested at equal effort drawing. This will close that gap down. Great all around size also for an archer looking to multipurpose the bow.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve been shooting a Solution SS since it came out. It has been my one of my favorite bows ever. Today, I went in with an open mind and shot a bunch of bows. In the end, it came down to the SS 34 and the Mathews Phase 4. It was close, but I came home with a Phase 4. I really did like the the SS34, but I liked the Phase 4 better. Can’t go wrong with the SS34 but shoot everything you can and go from there.

I shot an SS34 in my local pro shop. It was smooth and easy to hold at full draw, but it was set a 29” draw length and I have a 28” draw. I’m going to go back and have them adjust it to my draw length so I can shoot it again because it felt a little big for me set up that way. But even with the longer draw length, it’s still felt very very smooth and balanced well. They also have an SR 350 that was still in the box and needed to be pulled out and assembled. They are supposed to call me once they have that done because I would like to shoot that bow along side the SS 34 to compare the two.

Last edited:
The ease of tuning the BowTechs with the deadlock cam system looks really hard to beat when comparing the flag ship bows from the different companies. Especially those available at my local shop.

My local pro shop carries Hoyt, BowTech, PSE, and Bear. I wish they also carried Matthews so I could compare those as well. It’s a small shop and the inventory isn’t great but he always seems to have the flagship Hoyt and BowTechs available to handle and shoot.

JStol5

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life- are there letoff adjustments on the SS34? I’m seriously considering one. Shot it tonight and loved it.

You can use lucky stops to adjust draw length and letoff. I own a ss34 and love it, but must warn that the bow chews up cable servings. There is a very long thread on archery talk about it.

JStol5

WKR
You can use lucky stops to adjust draw length and letoff. I own a ss34 and love it, but must warn that the bow chews up cable servings. There is a very long thread on archery talk about it.

Oh believe me, I’m in that thread too… same username

Anyone know if this issue was resolved? Can't find current updates. Local bow shops look at me like I'm making sh** up when I ask about it.

JStol5

WKR
Good to know! You still like it? What's your hindsight
I’m absolutely in love with the bow. I shoot it lights out, better than I ever did my Mathews V3 31. Obviously your mileage may vary- but I find it so much smoother, better balanced, nicer to draw, and less jumpy at the back wall, even with lower letoff.

That being said, it’s definitely slower. And was more finicky to set up and tune.

PM me if you’d like, happy to answer any questions about it. My only regret is not buying the 80lb version. Mine draws smoother at 73 pounds than I would’ve thought possible.

Zac

WKR
I bought one several days before an antelope hunt and was able to smack one around 46 yards. It has a noticeable hump at 30 inches on Performance. Stabilizes like any other 34 inch bow. Seems very quiet, and of course tunes extremely easy.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
My shop had my SR 350 shooting bullet holes in about 10 minutes with the deadlock system.

I sent mine back to bowtech 3 weeks ago because of the cable chewing issue. It just came back to the dealer today and I picked it up. They replaced both cams and put a new set of their strings on it. Not sure if they did anything else like limbs or whatnot. I don’t know if they tuned it or anything. I’ll have to work on it next week to get it all set back up. I’ll see what happens from there.

I feel like people are just living with it at this point.

It’s such a sweet draw and shooting bow that I can see why. If I could just get a year out of the cables I’d live with it too, but I was on the 4th set of cables at the point I sent it back.