Bowmar's beast broadhead

Zac

WKR
Yeah it’s not to hard to see why everyone is giving you crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m a 40 year old white male. I think I’ll be fine. It doesn’t bother me, and it doesn’t bother Josh. This is just the same old thing recycled anytime anything with the Bowmars come up. If you want to say something really stupid about how bad curved blades suck, I will be happy to engage. I just don’t care about the rest of it.

JRam07

FNG
I’m a 40 year old white male. I think I’ll be fine. It doesn’t bother me, and it doesn’t bother Josh. This is just the same old thing recycled anytime anything with the Bowmars come up. If you want to say something really stupid about how bad curved blades suck, I will be happy to engage. I just don’t care about the rest of it.
The multiple lawsuits against people, including local news stations, who simply talked about his poaching case, and referenced publicly available court documents, suggest that it does in fact bother Josh

But again, I asked why curved blades are better than straight blades for archery, you have not responded to that.

Curved blades are longer for the same width of cut, have more surface area, and have a more blunt angle than a straight blade for the same diameter of cut.

Zac

WKR
The multiple lawsuits against people, including local news stations, who simply talked about his poaching case, and referenced publicly available court documents, suggest that it does in fact bother Josh

But again, I asked why curved blades are better than straight blades for archery, you have not responded to that.

Curved blades are longer for the same width of cut, have more surface area, and have a more blunt angle than a straight blade for the same diameter of cut.
I did way back at the beginning of this. Curved blades penetrate 33%, and some change better than straight. Broderick was talking about this way back when he came out with his head and it was being compared to the IW. Why do you think the Beast is penetrating so well? Also why do you think companies like Grizzly Stick that really emphasize penetration use curved blades. Why do you think Levi Morgan has curved blades on his model? The downside for a mech is that the profile is more difficult to conceal. So if you want less blade hanging out it is better to go with a straight angle. As far as I can see the only disadvantage for a fixed blade is sharpening. However the Innovative Outdoorsman kit has worked well for me, is easy to operate and about 30 bucks.

JRam07

FNG
I did way back at the beginning of this. Curved blades penetrate 33%, and some change better than straight. Broderick was talking about this way back when he came out with his head and it was being compared to the IW. Why do you think the Beast is penetrating so well? Also why do you think companies like Grizzly Stick that really emphasize penetration use curved blades. Why do you think Levi Morgan has curved blades on his model?
You said this, you did not prove it.

Grizzlystik has straight and curved edge broadheads, their ashby head is straight, and I think ashby says straight is better.

And fwiw I think Bill V says straight is better as well.

I've yet to find any empirical data that supports it, and it doesn't make sense to me intuitively.

When I search for data all i get is people saying things like "everyone knows curved is better"

You don't care...so hard.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Zac is arguing with me over private messages about my personal opinion, he obviously doesn’t care at all about this 🙄

Zac if the guy who made these is your bestie just get it off your chest it would make your behavior seem much more normal. This whole thread has gotten really really weird

Zac is arguing with me over private messages about my personal opinion, he obviously doesn’t care at all about this 🙄

Zac if the guy who made these is your bestie just get it off your chest it would make your behavior seem much more normal. This whole thread has gotten really really weird

Weird?? Don't you mean is feels a lot like another episode of "Young and the Restless"... Except there are no pictures of beautiful women.. Only implication that Bowmars wife is arguably hot or looks like She'Hulk

Just a few reasons why people might not like the bowmars.
Not that it would help add substance to the thread, but there are several more reasons in addition to what you have laid out.

On a different topic, I don’t know why people get so twisted up arguing about broadheads, about all of them will make short work of a critter when put in the right spot, and none will inherently bail you out if you don’t put it in the right spot

People sure seem passionate about them, but the overall failure rate of all but the very worst is very low.

TheTone

WKR
Weird?? Don't you mean is feels a lot like another episode of "Young and the Restless"... Except there are no pictures of beautiful women.. Only implication that Bowmars wife is arguably hot or looks like She'Hulk
She has a Reddit section devoted to her zaniness. It can be a very rough read at times.

I think the best argument for the curved blade is "angle of attack" and cutting edge integrity.

Longer and steeper blades can be softer and incur less stress on the cutting edge than a harder angled but shorter blade with same diameter cutting diameter.

Not that it would help add substance to the thread, but there are several more reasons in addition to what you have laid out.

On a different topic, I don’t know why people get so twisted up arguing about broadheads, about all of them will make short work of a critter when put in the right spot, and none will inherently bail you out if you don’t put it in the right spot

People sure seem passionate about them, but the overall failure rate of all but the very worst is very low.
I went chasing "best broadheads" for awhile. Then, I realized it's mostly me and where I put the arrow. Almost every broadhead I've shot winds up damaged from our rocky soil anyway.

JRam07

FNG

I dont care if curved is better than straight, it's just something I see repeated everywhere but it doesn't make sense to me, and I've never seen it proven.

Fwiw I'm shooting a Hyde broadehead this year, large very blunt curved blades.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that a curved blade will be stronger, it makes sense there's more material.

Look at the grizzlystik massai vs the samurai same width if cut, but the massage is blunter, it takes about half the blade length before it features a more "accuse angle" I just don't see it penetrating better and I dont even think that's apples to apples.

If I took a samurai then curved it out would it penetrate more? I doubt it, it's gonna have more surface area, a less steep angle, and more blade contact.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
I did way back at the beginning of this. Curved blades penetrate 33%, and some change better than straight. Broderick was talking about this way back when he came out with his head and it was being compared to the IW. Why do you think the Beast is penetrating so well? Also why do you think companies like Grizzly Stick that really emphasize penetration use curved blades. Why do you think Levi Morgan has curved blades on his model? The downside for a mech is that the profile is more difficult to conceal. So if you want less blade hanging out it is better to go with a straight angle. As far as I can see the only disadvantage for a fixed blade is sharpening. However the Innovative Outdoorsman kit has worked well for me, is easy to operate and about 30 bucks.

Ok, let me correct you on this, and yes, I have the credentials to back this up. You cannot say a curved blade penetrates better than straight with out listing specific details. A straight blade with a cutting diameter of 0.5" will out penetrate a curved blade with a cutting diameter of 2".

Also, the opposing force of penetration has to do with directional dynamic forces and the surface area of the blades.

For a curved broadhead to have the same cutting diameter as a straight blade, you will actually have more material so the frictional force will be greater.

The opposing penetration force will also have to do with the radius of curvature for the curved blade and how those dynamic forces act.

So you're very wrong in saying that a curved blade will penetrate 33.333333% better than a straight bladed with a blanket statement.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
I think the best argument for the curved blade is "angle of attack" and cutting edge integrity.

Longer and steeper blades can be softer and incur less stress on the cutting edge than a harder angled but shorter blade with same diameter cutting diameter.

Longer blades also create a larger moment of force on blade. Torque = force * length of blade
Higher torque = higher stress

Yes the less sever blade angle will minimize the opposing force

Longer blades also create a larger moment of force on blade. Torque = force * length of blade
Higher torque = higher stress

Yes the less sever blade angle will minimize the opposing force
Isn't that one of the keys to Ashby's findings. Long blade length that reduces the angle of impact.

JRam07

FNG
Ok, let me correct you on this, and yes, I have the credentials to back this up. You cannot say a curved blade penetrates better than straight with out listing specific details. A straight blade with a cutting diameter of 0.5" will out penetrate a curved blade with a cutting diameter of 2".

Also, the opposing force of penetration has to do with directional dynamic forces and the surface area of the blades.

For a curved broadhead to have the same cutting diameter as a straight blade, you will actually have more material so the frictional force will be greater.

The opposing penetration force will also have to do with the radius of curvature for the curved blade and how those dynamic forces act.

So you're very wrong in saying that a curved blade will penetrate 33.333333% better than a straight bladed with a blanket statement.
Anyway I look at it in my mind, I can't see a convex curve being better than a straight blade, for broadheads, when it you control for other variables. Unless there's like some mechanical property or phenomenon I don't know about.

I can see a convex blade being stronger, but you could achieve a similar result with a blunter leading angle like on the IW double bevel.

lelliott8

FNG
Anyway I look at it in my mind, I can't see a convex curve being better than a straight blade, for broadheads, when it you control for other variables. Unless there's like some mechanical property or phenomenon I don't know about.

I can see a convex blade being stronger, but you could achieve a similar result with a blunter leading angle like on the IW double bevel.
The DaySix guy talked about this on a podcast. He said that the slightly curved blade allowed it to keep more of the 3:1 cutting angle as opposed to the comparatively more blunt angle of the front of the IW. I think it came down to push cutting vs slicing?

Its all such a small difference in performance that it really comes down to preference.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Well Zak I’m a 47 year old white man don’t know what that has to do with anything and are you sure Josh doesn’t t care? Did he tell you that? From what I’ve read they care very much what others say according to all there law suits..

To the gentleman who said this is like the young and the restless without any pictures of hot chicks. I beg to differ there is a pic of my beautiful wife up there you just don’t see the beauty part as it’s hid on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went chasing "best broadheads" for awhile. Then, I realized it's mostly me and where I put the arrow. Almost every broadhead I've shot winds up damaged from our rocky soil anyway.
Yeah, I think many of us have went down most rabbit holes with archery, there are many to go through

I had a bit of an “ah ha” Moment a few years ago when I shot a bull that would have been my best, or at least very close.

The shot was 4 steps, slight quartering, no way I was in anything heavier than a rib. I was using a very highly regarded head and it folded up like a Walmart lawn chair on impact (had no idea at the time) I was able to watch that bull for a couple minutes through my binos (he didn’t know what happened) and I could see the entrance plain as day and was very excited, I was going to watch him tip over any second

Long story short, after watching him go down the ridge and cut over to the right about 150yds below me, I knew something wasn’t right, because he should have been dead by that point so I gave him 2 hrs

Went to go track, and about 30yds into it I found my arrow with my broadhead that failed catastrophically and my heart sank.

The same people that will readily pump up that particular head will also tell you that mechanical heads are terrible and have a high failure rate… there are several mechs i would shoot before I considered the failed head.

People blame broadheads for poor shooting, which doesn’t equate to data points

I have seen fragile looking mechanical heads make it through heavy bone and stay intact.

I appreciate a good head as much as anyone, and they all have their place, but aren’t necessary to be a vet successful archery hunter. I shot standard muzzy 3 blades for a long time, don’t think I ever got one back that I wanted to reuse, but also never had a failure.

I have on hand, iron will, Valkyrie, German kinetics, kudu, etc, but the only one of those that will be in my quiver are the GK’s, I shoot the xl, And is my favorite fixed head… they cut a big hole, stay sharp, are not loud in flight, and my favorite head dimension is a 1.5” 2 blade, if there were more options in that configuration, I probably wouldn’t buy GK’s, but my preference is very limited, so that’s what I shoot.

A person could buy QAD exodus and never have broadhead drama, and they aren’t a top shelf head

As for beasts, they don’t offer me anything, they aren’t easy to sharpen, and are expensive, and I don’t go out of my way to support Josh, but he has showcased that mechs can hold up to extreme abuse… I don’t care how they do on a YouTube broadhead test if they can kill a Cape buffalo handily, just shows how useless those YouTube broadhead tests are

I think you pretty much have to try to find a head that will have a failure rate greater than rarely. I have never killed anything with a mech, but this might be the year. I will have a couple GK’s, a couple reaper pro 1 3/8” and probably a lonely exodus