Bow sling?

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
I will be headed out to Colorado for my first elk hunt and plan on backpacking in, problably not a true bivy hunt more of a spike camp with the option to move. With that being said I was wondering how many of you pack a bow sling to use when not carrying your main pack and if it's even nessary?

I used the Gameplan Gear Snapshot last year. I liked it. Keeps you from having to carry your bow the whole time but you can still shoot quickly.

I used the hunters specialties sling last year but I think I like how the game plan gear sling works better

bowinhand

WKR
Look at the Kifaru gun bearer, not actually designed to carry a compound bow but works surprisingly well. When I'm hunting it's in my left hand.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Ill use one when packing in but never while I'm out hunting. I do put it on my bow in the evening before bed to keep little rodents from chewing on the strings.

Lukem

WKR
I used one on my first elk hunt and only for the first couple days. Extra weight IMO, I got annoyed taking it off and on, and being a skinny guy couldn't get it to carry comfortably. I just carry my bow by the stab or balance across my shoulders, more comfortable for me.

No offense OR, but I'm not sure any of the slings would do much protection against mice, they can get in the littlest opening, not to mention chew right through nearly any fabric shy of kevlar. But if it brings peace of mind, do what works for you.

Lukem

WKR
Oh and MOCluck, if your sold on using one and really want a Primos, PM me your address and I'll stick mine in the mail to you if I can find it.

OR Archer

WKR
No offense OR, but I'm not sure any of the slings would do much protection against mice, they can get in the littlest opening, not to mention chew right through nearly any fabric shy of kevlar. But if it brings peace of mind, do what works for you.

Just a little deterrent. I still stuff it inside my tents rain fly.

MattB

WKR
I use a Primos bow sling when flying with a bow in a hard case, carrying my bow in a truck or when my bow is packed to my pack, but never when hunting (I even cut the shoulder strap off to save weight and reduce temptation ;-).

OP
M

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replys not sure I'm sold on it yet, I was trying to figure out if this is one of those pices of gear that the majority thought I should bring but if its half and half I'll skip it, it is one more thing to pack.

KMD

Banned
The last thing you want is to nick your string/cables on a rock, tree limb, deadfall, or whatever, when you are waaay up on the mountain.
I like this Primos bowsling for the protection it offers, as much as for the hands free carrying convenience it allows. Thats a couple extra ounces I don't mind carrying around...

I used the Gameplan Gear Snapshot last year. I liked it. Keeps you from having to carry your bow the whole time but you can still shoot quickly.

This is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I can even shoot well with it completely attached. It is rock solid, won't slip off, and may even absorb some vibration. Last year's bull was shot with it still attached. I have a Primos sling as well, but my Spyder falls out of it; this one is way better for my purposes. Carrying my bow in my sling gives me an extra hand free for a trekking pole.

CentennialELK

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Tarantula which is similar to the Primo's. It frees my hands up in the steep dark timber and helps protect my cams and strings when I have slips and such. It is very easy to access my bow when I am on the fly, just slip it out. When I stop for a period of time I put it with my backpack. It makes life a little simpler when on the mountain.

elkmule123

Lil-Rokslider
I picked a primo one up and the end of last season. I got it primarily for when its attached to my pack. Last year while hiking out, a stick got between the string and the cam and derailed it.

I used to be a sling guy. If you think the sling is cool, wait'll you try a Kifaru Gunbearer. Now nothing is connected to your bow, you are in shooting position faster, it's out of your way and you can run with it easily.