Bow Hunters….

LostArra

WKR
Yes but I'm 71.
I barely remember 60.
Ike is cheating with that new Lift.

Deer hunting is all archery.
If we happen to strike out on elk in Wyo during bow season or draw multiple tags we will go back during rifle season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That’s the whole thing, keeping the muscles in working order…😉
Just keep shooting. That will keep your draw weight up. I'm only 59, but definitely feeling 60+. As my wife says all the time "he's in great shape......for an 80 year old man". LOL

She's not entirely wrong, I've beaten my body to a pulp my whole life, so I feel every second of it these days. I hadn't shot my bow since last September, but took it out earlier this week and shot some. It's set at 71lbs and didn't feel any different than last September. But holy cow......I did some squats the other day, and I feel like I've been in a hospital bed for the past 6 months. Sheesh, talk about atrophy. Makes me think I need to take skiing back up for the winters to keep my legs in shape. I definitely have some work to do between now and September.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Turned 63 a few days ago and planning a Colorado archery elk hunt.
I’ve been shooting 65# for several years now, but it’s the extra weight I’m carrying that is my biggest issue. Very easy to put it on and difficult to get off!

Maxhunter

WKR
I’m 63 and will turn 64 in December. Shoot my bow about everyday. If I can’t handle my current draw weight at 65 as I age I’ll just turn it down. IMO you need to stay in decent shape and don’t do something to hurt yourself. Have to many friends younger than me who have serious shoulder problems and had to have surgery.

Last edited:

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Will hit 72 this year. Shooting my Reckoning Gen 2 36 just about every day at 64 lbs draw weight. It is definitely harder than it was a few years ago but I've incorporated resistance and warmup exercises that help a lot. Also, anything that strengthens the shoulder muscles helps. May switch to 60 lb limbs next year-not that much loss of velocity and plenty of energy for pass-throughs.

Turn 65 soon. Still primarily hunt Archery 99% of the time. Will pull out the old bang stick if invited some place where they do not want or are not set up for a bow hunter. However, I don't kill much anymore. Hunting is just an excuse to get away and out into the field. I enjoy watching everything much more than shooting anything.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 29, but my dad (who refuses to make a Rokslide account even though I know he would enjoy it) is 67 this year and still bowhunt a ton. He does pick up the rifle when allowed, though. But he’s always done that.

He’s shooting an RX8 at… 80 😳 pounds. But he’s a little frenchman that’s built like a troll with a 27-28” draw, gotta make up for the short draw somehow.

He was shooting this afternoon and called me on the way home, he DID talk about turning his bow down to 70 this year actually. Old bugger is slowing down, LOL. He’s a tough SOB

LostArra

WKR
He’s shooting an RX8 at… 80 😳 pounds. But he’s a little frenchman that’s built like a troll with a 27-28” draw, gotta make up for the short draw somehow.

He was shooting this afternoon and called me on the way home, he DID talk about turning his bow down to 70 this year actually. Old bugger is slowing down, LOL. He’s a tough SOB

It sounds like you hit a home run in the genetic lottery.

After getting a pass through on a young bull with a 53# longbow at 170 fps I realized any modern compound does not need even 60# to be an efficient killing machine. I wish I could still pull 70# enough times to actually practice and hunt in frigid temps but it's probably more of a "refusing to act my age" thing than a necessity for my hunting.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like you hit a home run in the genetic lottery.

After getting a pass through on a young bull with a 53# longbow at 170 fps I realized any modern compound does not need even 60# to be an efficient killing machine. I wish I could still pull 70# enough times to actually practice and hunt in frigid temps but it's probably more of a "refusing to act my age" thing than a necessity for my hunting.
Agreed 100%, here’s to hoping I age in a similarly spectacular way. We both know he doesn’t even need 60# to kill stuff, and I’m sure that’s what he will be pulling eventually, and maybe even less. Which is fine, kids/women kill stuff with 45lb compounds and even shorter draw lengths every year. Hopefully as strong as he is now he will be able to bowhunt for another couple decades.

For now, he likes his flat trajectory and practicing out to 90 yards. I’m sure being able to say “I’m closer to 70 than 60 and still shoot 80 lbs” is a big part of it too, though. 😉

Edit to add:everyone in this thread is impressive as heck. I can only pray to be going like y’all in a few more decades.

cnelk

WKR
Turned 60 earlier this year and this will be my first time in 25 years not bowhunting in the fall.

Gonna give it rest this year.

Drew a decent ML bull elk tag, a rifle cow moose tag and a Wyo deer tag.

I’m really looking forward to switching things up.