Bow Hunters and Side Arms

crossfire3006

Lil-Rokslider
During archery season last year, I had a run in with a mountain lion while bow hunting in Colorado. I was sitting down at the base of a tree looking over my map when the next thing I know, there's a mountain lion about 75 yards or so away just looking at me. It wasn't very big and it wasn't hissing or showing any signs of aggression. It was just watching me. I'll be perfectly honest, I felt I was going to need to change my shorts. I didn't want to move for fear of upsetting it so I just watched it with my bow in hand, pepper spray in the other and my sheath already unbuttoned from my knife. What kept running through my mind was that I wish I had a side arm with me. After about three minutes, which felt like forever, it just turned and walked off.

Do you carry a side arm with you when bow hunting?

Depends on where I'm at, and how far I'm going. If you're already carrying pepper spray it seems like overkill to me, but I'd be lying if I said I've never carried one for piece of mind.

I think in the end, if it makes you more comfortable it's worth bringing along.

FLAK

WKR
Down here on the Gulf Coast I usually carry either a 38spcl, or .380 for 2 legged
creatures. I did have to pull and fire (warning shot) my .380 into the ground when
a Pit was acting like he wanted to have a go at my wife and me.
Sometimes carry a G27 when bowhunting or scouting. Had a feral hog get squirrely
with me once while scouting with no firearm. Was actually on a Bike, good thing
I had it as it was what kept the thing off of me. Bent a few spokes on my wheel.

pbcarch

WKR
Here in the East sidearm not allowed (damn liberals) But each time I have been out west I have a sidearm with me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Same as 5 miles, I am never very far from one here in the world. I always carry In the woods no matter what state but would be more likely to leave it in the truck while hunting than in mans world. Just seems natural to me to strap one on.

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a G20 10mm in the west. Ive used it several times to scare bears as a noise maker including 1 charge. I had a mountain lion staring at me as in your example and put one in the tree next to him and he high tailed it out of there.

I generally start firing warning shots at any potentially dangerous creature that gets within 50 yards of me and is not behaving as if it fears me. Mitigates situations before they develop and instills some fear of man back in them for the next guy.

Yes, short-barreled .41 Mag revolver (Taurus Model 415) goes with me when I'm bowhunting where bears or lions might be present.

sndmn11

WKR
I am a Glock 30 man with G21 mags in carriers every day. When I am on foot in the mountains and my wife is not with me, I trade her for her Glock 43.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Too bad you didn't have a cougar tag!

No sidearm allowed for me, have to tough it out with spray and a belt knife....or a shotty if I'm going to be parked somewhere.

pbcarch

WKR
Have heard many of you guys mention carrying a sidearm because of the 2 legged predators...have any of you really had any issues in the back country?

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I've stumbled across 2 Marijuana grow sites while out hunting in UT. NOT a good feeling. So yes, I always carry in the mountains. As much for two legged as 4 legged critters. G19 for me, same for everyday around town carry. It's a familiarity thing. I am looking into acquiring a G20 for Mtn carry here in WY.

Have heard many of you guys mention carrying a sidearm because of the 2 legged predators...have any of you really had any issues in the back country?

Yes and no, I have ran into issues (one meth lab and another couple of guys on meth, two separate occasions), both these were not "backcountry" but in the woods while hunting. I also have never had to use my firearm while conceal carrying but still carry it every day. It only takes once.... and I know I like to think hunters are a good group of respectable folks, and for the most part they are, but there are shitty people everywhere, in every facet of life. Better to be prepared than unprepared.
On the other side, what are the downsides? A small weight penalty, but if used to carrying every day, it's not a big deal. It can be used against bears and other predators, used for signaling if get into a bad situation, deterrence for other situations, and in very rare cases, as a survival tool. To each their own though...

sndmn11

WKR

Not while enjoying my own time, when I worked in LE in a small town there would be regular calls for service in obscure places. Usually when someone is off the beaten path and acting in a criminal nature, their tolerance for escalation of deviance allows some bad things to happen that wouldn't have even been considered in their mind in a physically closer to society location. Here's a decent example of the kind of folks that are not rare to be cruising around in the woods. https://www.skyhinews.com/news/murder-suicide-tampering-suspects-id-do-it-again/

87TT

WKR
A Springfield Armory XDS45 is on my side all day everyday unless I'm hunting. Then there is a S&W 340PD .357 that rides on the pack belt of my EXO.