Bow creaking

SlimTim

FNG
Howdy all,

My 2021 PSE EVL 32 seems to creak when I draw it. It is most likely a couple of clicking sounds when drawing the bow but it honestly sounds like it’s creaking.

When I draw the bow nothing seems to rub or touch, I’ve tightened all bolts and gone over the limbs to check for cracks.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim.

xcutter

WKR
I've had several Hoyt's over the years that have a creaking sound when drawing. On those bows I would spray some WD-40 or 3in1 oil in-between the limbs and the plastic pad the limb sits on in the limb pocket.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
I've had several Hoyt's over the years that have a creaking sound when drawing. On those bows I would spray some WD-40 or 3in1 oil in-between the limbs and the plastic pad the limb sits on in the limb pocket.
Awesome. Thanks. I’ll give it a go.

nobody

WKR
When is it? Does it happen right as you're about to drop into the valley?

Ya what xcutter said try to get some lube in the limb pockets. If you are getting the string redone soon you could have them put some grease in there too when theyre restringing they just can take the whole thing down. That might be a better option longterm

nobody

WKR
If it's what I think it is, it's an easy fix. The Evolve cams on the PSE's have anodization that wears unevenly. It happens on EVERY one of their bows, no matter what. Just remove each mod, carefully, one at a time, and rough up the surface where the mod meets the cam with steel wool. It takes about 2 minutes, and it works. Mine did it after about 100 arrows when I got my 2020 Response, and I called my bow guy freaking out, and I took it over to him and he had it fixed in about 15 minutes total. I asked him how he knew, and he said it's something he does on all the PSE's at some point. He's shot for PSE for about 10 years and said all of his bows with the Evolve cam have done it. Since he did mine about a year ago, it's been quiet as a mouse. He says guys will spend tons of money greasing everything and having their bows torn down and having guys who don't work on PSE a ton do all sorts of stuff to them, and the issue always ends up being the anodization wear.

Last edited:
OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
If it's what I think it is, it's an easy fix. The Evolve cams on the PSE's have anodization that wears unevenly. It happens on EVERY one of their bows, no matter what. Just remove each mod, carefully, one at a time, and rough up the surface where the mod meets the cam with steel wool. It takes about 2 minutes, and it works. Mine did it after about 100 arrows when I got my 2020 Response, and I called my bow guy freaking out, and I took it over to him and he had it fixed in about 15 minutes total. I asked him how he knew, and he said it's something he does on all the PSE's at some point. He's shot for PSE for about 10 years and said all of his bows with the Evolve cam have done it. Since he did mine about a year ago, it's been quiet as a mouse. He says guys will spend tons of money greasing everything and having their bows torn down and having guys who don't work on PSE a ton do all sorts of stuff to them, and the issue always ends up being the anodization wear.
So I'm pretty new to archery. Can I just confirm that the mods are the things you move when you are changing your draw length?

nobody

WKR
So I'm pretty new to archery. Can I just confirm that the mods are the things you move when you are changing your draw length?
Yes, draw length and letoff. Just take them off one at a time, take note of where they were, clean everything up, and then put them back where they came from. It's slick and easy.

NYSKIER

WKR
Interesting. I used to shoot a PSE but switched over to Bowtech and never had that problem but that is a good thing to know if I ever switch back. and yes SlimTim mods are what adjust the draw length

nobody

WKR
Interesting. I used to shoot a PSE but switched over to Bowtech and never had that problem but that is a good thing to know if I ever switch back. and yes SlimTim mods are what adjust the draw length
It's not all PSE's, just the models with the ECS (Evolve Cam System). But yes, something to be aware of! Apparently, according to Dustin (my bow guy/PSE sponsored shooter), with time it eventually will remedy itself. But it's best to just accelerate the wear by scrubbing it with steel wool. For me, it's a small price to pay for the smooth draw cycle and insane accuracy with my PSE/Evolve Cams!

Trial153

WKR
Had this on most evolve cams, this is what fixed it every time for good. Take off the rotating mods. Clean them and the cam. Then replace it and put a dab of blue lock tight on each of the screws. Let it set few minutes … them you should be gtg

As Trial said above. Feel for any bumps but also make sure you tighten down the screws and use blue locTite. More often than not it was a slightly loose mod screw or one that worked loose due to roughed up mods not seating against the cams.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
My EVL 34 did the same thing..pulled the draw mods off and cleaned them, then added some string wax to the back of them before putting them back on. Nice and quiet now.

NY12020

FNG
Agree with the others above; its the draw length modules. Take them off and either put some wax on the back or rough em up a bit and the creak should stop. The modules have some play between the holes and the screws that hold em on; and when the bow is drawn they can shift position slightly as the cables apply pressure and that is what the creaking noise is.