Bow brands of years past...

This thread reminded me of my Archery Research 37 bow I gave to my buddy. This was PSE's deal in the 2000's. I am going to get it back from him since it's probably hanging in his garage now.

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
Thought of another today, Evotek. They weren’t around for long and looked a ton like the Ross bows of the same time. I remember them offering lots of discounts to people over on archery talk

Still own one of the Strothers last bows made. Liked how it shoots, just can't let it down without it trying to take my arm with it.

Blandry

WKR
One of my neighbors is always asking me about archery, seeing my modern compounds, and seeing me shooting in the yard. He came over yesterday with a vintage AMF Impact that he picked up at a garage sale. It was so much fun to (semi) tune and shoot! He's an older gentleman, a disabled Vietnam veteran, and cannot pull my 70-80, but he can this one. Is there a way to adjust the draw length on this thing? I've never dealt with anything this old. I started shooting a bear bow around 12 years old in '85, but this thing is even older!IMG_2576.jpgIMG_2577.jpg

Last edited:

Blandry

WKR
Oh and here's a good one I found when looking for info on the old AMF.

Attachments

• Star Trek killed the Recurve Bow.jpg
    Star Trek killed the Recurve Bow.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 13
Oh and here's a good one I found when looking for info on the old AMF.
Don’t think startrek has much to do with killing the recurve. When Allen invented the compound and Jennings took it to a higher level, people got on board quickly.

I bought my Jennings wood riser compound in the fall of ‘74 with scholarship money from a mining company, haha. Ffinished up my engineering degree that fall and killed my first elk with the Jennings a year later. It is long gone as a neighbor dry fired it and the riser broke a month or two later.

Blandry

WKR
Don’t think startrek has much to do with killing the recurve. When Allen invented the compound and Jennings took it to a higher level, people got on board quickly.

I bought my Jennings wood riser compound in the fall of ‘74 with scholarship money from a mining company, haha. Ffinished up my engineering degree that fall and killed my first elk with the Jennings a year later. It is long gone as a neighbor dry fired it and the riser broke a month or two later.
In the first pic, you can see 'licensed by Allen' so yeah, this thing is definitely a museum piece. I might pay him the $50 bucks he bought it for and hang it on my wall. 53 year old bow that still shoots like the day it was purchased. We must have put 50 arrows through it yesterday. It's got a screw on two pin sight, and everything is tool-less. SUPER durable.

Kularrow

WKR
CSS and their involvement with the Rompola Buck is pretty good folklore. Well before my time but the owner has done some podcast recently and it’s cool to see some of the old CSS bows with wood grips.

TheTone

WKR
CSS and their involvement with the Rompola Buck is pretty good folklore. Well before my time but the owner has done some podcast recently and it’s cool to see some of the old CSS bows with wood grips.
Totally off subject of bows, but I’d love to know with 100% truth whether that thing is real or fake. The Facebook groups on both sides of it are fun time killers. I will say that many of the bucks he supposedly killed in the years after the famous one are even weirder/more fake looking to me

Blandry

WKR
Totally off subject of bows, but I’d love to know with 100% truth whether that thing is real or fake. The Facebook groups on both sides of it are fun time killers. I will say that many of the bucks he supposedly killed in the years after the famous one are even weirder/more fake looking to me
They say it's fake but who knows?

Blandry

WKR
State Indoor champ 50 years ago. Wing's first compound, Jerry Killian's sight.
That's the same sight this one has but I don't think it's even that adjustable. I'm going to buy it from him and just hang on my bow wall.. that is crazy. I'll buy him a more modern PSE at 30lbs. They are all over the internet at $70.

wapitibob

WKR
Fully adjustable elevation, windage, and level. Worked great till they got wet then the housing would hang up on the bar and the tang would pop out of the worm gear.
1_67a1fcd6234410818d628ed6813bec26.jpg

Blandry

WKR
This one is NOTHING that sophisticated. It's just above aiming down the arrow level. I'm going to take some more pics of it this week and post.

Blandry

WKR
Mystery solved.. It's a collector's 1969 AMF Wings Frank Ketchum Arc Hunter. It was patented as the first force multiplier compound bow made. Apparently, it's actually worth quite a bit to a collector due to the history between AMF, Wing Archery, and the patent holder Holless W. Allen.

BKM

FNG
xi legend 44, yes a 44” hunting bow. Seems crazy now

Clearwater dual cam super light

That Clearwater was fast and super accurate, also sounded like a firecracker going off every time you let a arrow fly

NRA4LIFE

WKR
My first bow was a Martin Bobcat. 2nd was a Martin Cougar Magnum. Had to give up bow hunting for a number of reasons, mostly injuries.

Luked

WKR
First bow I ever owned was a Parker. Was a decent little bow back then.
I have shot about every major brand out there over the years.
Now I try and shoot what my local guys sell.