Bow brands of years past...

Wapiti1

WKR
The "What bows have you owned" thread make me a little nostalgic. I can think of a bunch of brands that you don't see anymore. Maybe some are still around, but I know a lot aren't.

I'll throw a couple out:

AMF Wing
McPherson

My father had (still has) an AMF Wing Impact compound. One of the first compounds out there. 65 pounds with, I think, 50% letoff on a basically round cam. But, its a really good looking bow. Maple riser with black fiberglass laminations. Really a great looking recurve construction with wheels.

I got a McPherson Power Mag in 1996 when I working in Utah as an intern. Great bow. I shot a lot of critters with it.

What do you recall?

Jeremy

Killed a bunch of bucks with with a Jennings Titan. I didn’t even have sights. I shot the bow by looking down the side of the arrow, “semi instinctive”.

I still own the bow and I have literally shot it a million times between target shooting and bowfishing. It still has the original string…

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
McPherson is still kinda around...

Just went from last to first name
Didn't he sell to Pearson and they moved that brand to Georgia or Alabama? Then he started the Mathews brand. Maybe I am remembering wrong.

I remember there being confusion about single cam bows with both offering them.

Jeremy

Didn't he sell to Pearson and they moved that brand to Georgia or Alabama? Then he started the Mathews brand. Maybe I am remembering wrong.

I remember there being confusion about single cam bows with both offering them.

Jeremy

Yes, well I can't remember if Matt owned it at the time, or just worked there. He stayed behind, then started what is now Mathews.

OR Archer

WKR
Yes, well I can't remember if Matt owned it at the time, or just worked there. He stayed behind, then started what is now Mathews.
No he sold McPhearson(ie his last name) then started Mathew’s in 1992.

An old bow line I used to have was Alpine. They went extinct a few years back. They were pretty popular in the late 90s early 2000s in the NW being they were based out of Idaho.

No he sold McPhearson(ie his last name) then started Mathew’s in 1992.

An old bow line I used to have was Alpine. They went extinct a few years back. They were pretty popular in the late 90s early 2000s in the NW being they were based out of Idaho.

“I started my first bow company in 1985,” he said. “The name of that bow company was McPherson Archery. I had partners in that business, and during the five years I was with the company, I learned why I needed to own a bow company without partners.”

I never had an Alpine, little before my time. Darton was pretty big, is in the midst of a comeback now. Oneida is still hanging around as well.

I started off with a Browning Micro Midas and graduated to a Parker a few years later. Browning has since sold its archery division to PSE and Parker went out of business a few years ago. I still have the Parker and am currently in the process of "warfing" the riser to accept recurve limbs.

BLJ

WKR
I still have an XI Miles Keller Legacy. That was the first bow I had in probably 93/94. Shot XX75’s at 204 FPS. I think it weighed as much and was about as loud as my 7 mag but I put down a bunch of deer with it.

nphunter

WKR
Early 70's? York Compound (Not sure when they stopped but not soon enough. lol )
Late 70's, Darton SL40 (My dad was a Darton Rep in the late 70's so I had several to play with)
80's Martin Cougar (Back when Martin was a big name in Archery)
60's Black Hawk Scorpion Recurve (Unknown, I assume they arent around)
Mid 90's, Blue Mountain Badger (Not made anymore)
Late 90's Martin Tracer Magnum (They have come and gone over the years)

nphunter

WKR
I forgot Strothers archery, I had one as a backup and my boys both shoot them. They were great bows while they lasted.

bnsafe

WKR
my first 2 bows were york cnc and sto bows. we then went to mountaineers then to high country. hoyt and bowtech now

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I started off with a Browning Micro Midas and graduated to a Parker a few years later. Browning has since sold its archery division to PSE and Parker went out of business a few years ago. I still have the Parker and am currently in the process of "warfing" the riser to accept recurve limbs.
I warfed my old Bear Whitetail II to accept ILF limbs. It worked really well as a target setup. Too long and heavy for hunting.

I forgot that Browning had a bow line.

Jeremy

elkguide

WKR
Love my Dynabo. Has a recurve upper limb with a cam on the bottom.
Was really fast in its day as it reached 220fps with XX75 - 2216s.
Last bows are Strother SR71 and a K&K Vengeance.