Borah bivvy with tarp

Hey all, wanting to pair a Borah cuben bivvy with seek outside DST tarp and my cimarron. Does any body have any experience with condensation with the regular cuben bivvy or would the bug bivvy be a better choice. At the moment I am leaning towards just the bug bivvy but wondering through experience if it really makes a difference, we are talking less than 1oz difference between the 2 so there is no concern there. Thank you!

I'm confused are you wanting to add the bivy and tarp to have other options than just what you have currently?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan5452
I'm confused are you wanting to add the bivy and tarp to have other options than just what you have currently?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Basically add the bivvy for the tarp in early season and then when it gets cooler in October use it inside my cimarron with the stove if that make sense

Drenalin

WKR
I didn’t have any condensation issues when I used a Borah Bivy in the argon fabric, but have had condensation in a similar bivy (Katabatic Pinion) when 1) camped close to water or 2) had my quilt pulled up over my head in cold temps. I don’t think that’s due to any magic with the Borah, just used it in different circumstances than the Katabatic. The bug bivy will ventilate better if that’s the biggest concern, but I don’t know how the cuben and argon fabrics compare to each other with respect to condensation; I imagine the difference is negligible there, but noticeable between a full mesh bug bivy vs any bivy that’s partially a solid fabric.

have to non DCF version. It doesn’t get condensation as bad as the OR bivy it replaced but it isn’t weatherproof.

bug version vs non bug depends on your preference. If I was always going use a tarp I might look at a bug nest vs a bivy.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I use their bug bivy under a tarp during bug season without any issues. Once it gets colder there's no need for the bivy under a tarp.

There's really no need for a full bivy if you are under a tarp or in a shelter as long as you pitch it correctly to protect against the elements.

rclouse79

WKR
A lot of times I will use the Borah gear tarp (I think 5x9) and a custom Borah gear bivy that has a thin strip of bug netting sewn down the middle. The extra cost of the custom order seemed very reasonable at the time, although I can remember what it was exactly. I tried the regular bivy and sold it because I had bad luck with condensation. I have had zero issues with condensation from my custom one, and it still offers good protection from side splashing in the event of a downpour. Together the tarp and bivy seem to weigh around a pound. Very nice for a light weight option when the weather forecast is favorable or where there is only a possibility of spending the night.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I use the standard Borah bivy and tarp (sil nylon?) No problems with condensation, just make sure you don't bury your head in there. It's certainly not weatherproof, but it works great with a quilt because it keeps things tucked in well and provides some wind break. Not sure what the DCF costs, but I don't see much reason to spend a lot on it, i think the standard weighs like 8 oz, one of the things I liked about the Borah bivy is that it's affordable.