Boots

Giacchik

FNG
Hi guys new to the forum. Looking for some advise. I hunt the hills of Ohio, typically hiking in 1+miles up and down ridges. I currently have Irish Setter 1200g rubber boots and my feet freeze after a while in the stand. I've played the liner sock game (every brand wool). My buddies use non Insulated Lowa boots and they never have a problem. They are saying my feet sweat. I'm looking into a good pair of boots (crispi, lowa, etc). I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on non Insulated boots. Does anyone have similar experiences with foot sweat on long hikes? Did you go to a non Insulated boot with thicker socks? Boot recommendations appreciated. I'd like to hear personal experiences. I'm between the crispi nevadas, crispi guides, lowa Camino, and lowa tibets.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with rubber boots is there is no air circulation. I could not go uninsulated, but a mid 800-1000 gram boot wearing just a liner sock most of the way in then stopping to put on a heavier wool sock will help. Once my feet sweat I'm done, doing this and also using a boot blanket like artic shield and ice breakers are key.

OP
G

Giacchik

FNG
The problem with rubber boots is there is no air circulation. I could not go uninsulated, but a mid 800-1000 gram boot wearing just a liner sock most of the way in then stopping to put on a heavier wool sock will help. Once my feet sweat I'm done, doing this and also using a boot blanket like artic shield and ice breakers are key.
All my buddies that I hunt with wear non Insulated and said they went through the same problem. They never complain of Cold feet now. I'm still leary. We usually aren't hunting in arctic Temps when we are down there. Usually lows go to low 30s with occasional high 20s in the mornings

Btaylor

WKR
Start a month or so ahead of cold weather putting anti-perspirant on your feet and then keep using through hunting season to help control the sweating. Might help to change into dry socks before you get in the stand too.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issues with my feet, they sweat like crazy. Rubber boots are the worst for this.

I wear crispi now but my feet still get cold. Try taking an extra pair of socks in with you, clean your feet with a wipe and use foot warmers. You'll need artificial heat for them to stay warm. Also make sure your socks and boots aren't tight.

KMSbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I started using the Schnees Beartooth II 200 gram insulated just this year and I am amazed at how warm my feet are. I’m like you, hike 1+ miles in sometimes steep terrain in VA to get to my hunting spots before light. Wearing one pair of lightweight merino wool socks (Lorpen brand) my feet don’t sweat and they dont get cold. It’s almost amazing how much warmer my feet have stayed this year compared to previously when I mostly wore rubber boots.

BDRam16

WKR
I was in a similar boat. I do the polypropylene liner sock, a merino hiker sock (NOT a thick heavy one), and a leather uninsulated boot. I’m in a Scarpa right now but it’s a little stiff for my purpose so I might be swapping out.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Im using the Zamberlain wasatch 981 GTX and so far they are super comfortable. Easy to break in and my feet don't sweat for those long hikes or stalk type hunting. I only use the rubber for short hikes and stand hunting in winter. My feet sweat also and I've had frostbite on my right foot which makes it get cold super fast and so far I haven't found a problem

My feet sweat sitting inside in the AC.

Boot blankets is the only way my feet stay warm in extended cold sits. Good pac boots with felt liners are nice if it’s not that cold out to need the blankets.

I would agree that sweating is a likely cause in that rubber boots don’t breathe at all. Not only does that make your feet sweat on short hikes, but they also won’t be able to dry out as easily as a leather/ synthetic boot while sitting.

I also generally prefer un-insulated boots but my feet do get cold during multi-hour sits. A few recommendations:

Whichever boot you choose, get some quality wool socks in winter weight (I like Darn tough)

I wear my boots 1/2 size big and run them a little loose when I’m sitting and it’s cold (helps blood circulate and air insulate around the foot better)

Maybe try out a pair of Pac Boots as they are generally the warmest, especially if you’re not doing dozens of hiking miles every day.

Outdoor Research makes an insulated gaiter that I am actually getting ready to test out west. Apparently it works well in keeping your feet dry and warm.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
My feet get cold easily. Just sat 6 hours in non insulated Crispi's with Artic Shield covers and a hand warmer, high twenties to low thirties in PA with my dad, no issues.

If you are willing to drop the cash on some Crispi, Lowa, Kenetrek etc. then go for it! If you want to save a bit of cash I have been super impressed with the new gen 5 Danner Pronghorn. I know some people have expressed concerns with the gen 3 and 4 vs the older models but I have put these gen 5's through the paces this season and so far love them. Plan on getting an uninsulated pair for early season next year.

Not an answer but something that helped me a lot. Mid day and before bed I start a fire to dry out my socks and insoles. Helped a ton. I don't think I have excessively sweaty feet but it's impossible to hike around the mountains of ID without getting some dampness in the boot, socks, and insoles. Keeping the socks and insoles dry really helps IMO.

I run Kenetreks ME 400 insulation.

Don't run your boots so tight that circulation is compromised. Don't put so many layers of socks on which can also compromise circulation.

bat-cave

WKR
Without writing a short story (you can find more in previous posts) .. I have struggled with the same thing. I found a few things that have helped me significantly.

1. Wear less for the hike in (If I'm not chilled for the first ~10 min ... I over dressed) and yes this SUCKS when it's really cold / snowing. This includes your socks and frankly this is the most important change I made. I was decent at dressing lighter on my body, but walked in with my day long sock setup - MISTAKE. If you can comfortably walk in with just a liner or a liner + a lighter sock then try it.
2. Be prepared to change your socks at the stand. Yes, this also really SUCKS ... but no matter how hard I try, my feet sweat. Taking the time and hassle to change my socks at the tree has made a huge difference in my foot comfort for all day sits in brutal cold.
3. If possible use a boot dryer overnight so that you begin with a dry boot. I didn't realize how damp my insoles were a few years back ... not good. I also switched my insoles for Felt ones (Lacrosse in my case).
4. I always walk in with my pants tucked inside my boots for scent control. I also found this contributed to my feet overheating and sweating, so you might consider untucking them when on stand.

My .02

For hiking long distance lose the insulated boots and go with mid-weight merino socks.
For stand hunting you can go with ultra-insulated boots or go with the non insulated, heavier socks, and some boot covers.

If you are willing to drop the cash on some Crispi, Lowa, Kenetrek etc. then go for it! If you want to save a bit of cash I have been super impressed with the new gen 5 Danner Pronghorn. I know some people have expressed concerns with the gen 3 and 4 vs the older models but I have put these gen 5's through the paces this season and so far love them. Plan on getting an uninsulated pair for early season next year.
i got the 800 gram primaloft boots and have the Kuiu wool socks sat 4 hours in 30 degree weather and mid 20s wind chill and my feet were still warm

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
My feet are always sweating even when cold. On long walks that are all day sits when it’s super cold…the best I’ve found is to wear a sock (cotton is fine) then a bread bag or walmart bag on the outside of the sock then put the boot on and walk in. When I get to my stand it take both socks and bags off, put them in my pack and put on a merino sock and then put the boots back on. This makes sure the boot doesn’t have any sweat or moisture from your feet in them. After that I put on either artic shield boot covers with a handwarmer in them or XL thick wool socks and slide them over my boot and slip in a handwarmer

Sean250R

FNG
I never would have even thought of non insulated boots for OH tree stand hunting, great advice to try because my feet freeze in my heavy boots.