Alaska Goat Hunt Boots

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Currently wearing Crispi Nevada 200g insulated boots as my all around boots. Average Alaska temps show to be between 30-55 degrees for mid September. Looking for a lite weight non insulated boot. Leaning towards the crispi lapponia. I'm thinking my feet will get hot in mild temps with lots of climbing in insulated boots. Thoughts?

WCT3

FNG
I think you will want something stiffer than the Lapponia. I've never hunted in AK but I have hunted mountain goats in CO and I wore a Crispi Dakota which is a 3 flex and I wouldn't want anything more flexible than that (if I did it again I would probably where something slightly stiffer).

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I wore the Crispi Summit which was super supportive even for a guy that had over 300# on his feet with pack and rifle.

Alaska92

FNG
I certainly advocate for a much stiffer boot when you’re in the sheep and goat country of Alaska. It can depend on where and what time of year you’re going, to dial it in more. For most of my Alaska mountain hunts, as well as most of the year, I prefer the La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX’s and have been using them for nearly 20 years up here. Crampon compatible, which is a must for me. The sharp/stiff edges of the soles can be important when edging in the crags. Stiffness will aid in kick-stepping up, down or across steep ice and snow fields. Long side hilling through scree fields with a heavily loaded pack can lead to “rock bruising” and can tear some boots up. A “stiff and robust” rand will mitigate this. Plastic boots (Koflach or similar) are the desired boot for some up here. I have some and think they are a bit excessive most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_9200.jpeg
    IMG_9200.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Will the Crispi Nevada be sufficient for this hunt as far as stiffness? They fit well and are comfortable. I've got wide, flat feet. I could buy a stiffer boot if needed? Are stiff mountaineering boots ok for milder terrain? Do they cause any issues on milder terrain?

I'd like an all around non insulated boot. Stiff enough for goat hunting but still wearable for general western hunting.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn Crispi Briksdal non insulated on a goat hunt and a couple sheep hunts. I have been happy with them and would not hesitate to wear them in lesser terrain.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've asked a few guys who goat hunted in SEAK about this. Most say stick with a true mountain boot/stiff but that is "hunt" specific in some respects. I don't think insulated boots are in the cards when it can be 50 out and you are cranking hard uphill. I'm currently having the same debate.

Leather vs synthetic is an interesting layer to add on top of this. Crispi doesn't have a "true" mountain boot persay, but the Briksdal Pro SF (insulated unfortunately) and Briksdal Mtn SF are both "5" rated. The Pro is 4 rated. I think 3's are too soft for that kind of work.

Still waiting on "2024" Crispi since they fit my foot so well, but getting tired of nothing. They looked like they were working on a mountain style boot with Snyder but who knows when/if that will come. I'd like to just take the Briksdal Mtn SFs up to SEAK but with the severe rain/wetness, thinking the 4 flex uninsulated Briksdals will be the best bet.

I certainly advocate for a much stiffer boot when you’re in the sheep and goat country of Alaska. It can depend on where and what time of year you’re going, to dial it in more. For most of my Alaska mountain hunts, as well as most of the year, I prefer the La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX’s and have been using them for nearly 20 years up here. Crampon compatible, which is a must for me. The sharp/stiff edges of the soles can be important when edging in the crags. Stiffness will aid in kick-stepping up, down or across steep ice and snow fields. Long side hilling through scree fields with a heavily loaded pack can lead to “rock bruising” and can tear some boots up. A “stiff and robust” rand will mitigate this. Plastic boots (Koflach or similar) are the desired boot for some up here. I have some and think they are a bit excessive most of the time.
Agree, those and the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX's are the only boots I wear.

stiff boots are going to be more of the standard for goat and sheep hunting. Something like the Crispi Briksdal or the SF version would be very popular. many guides use plastic koflach boots

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered a pair of Zamberlin mtn trek GTX rr boots. More of a true mountaineering boot and quite a bit stiffer than my Crispis. I should have them next week. If they don't fit my foot correctly I plan on trying A Scarpa brand boot.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just ordered a pair of Zamberlin mtn trek GTX rr boots. More of a true mountaineering boot and quite a bit stiffer than my Crispis. I should have them next week. If they don't fit my foot correctly I plan on trying A Scarpa brand boot.
I have a pair of those. I got them just for goat hunts.

I've gotten away with some pretty soft boots for sheep hunting. For hunts not involving glacier travel, the reduced weight on my feet easily outweighed the reduced support. Killed the last couple wearing Trango TRX, which are basically REI class hikers. BUT... for goat, I still like those stiff mountain boots. Crampon use can save a life on snowy or wet grass, and my handful of goat hunts have been more about terrain than miles. I've got a set of Nepals with a lot of miles and blood on them for that type of thing. Been re-soled once, and nearly worn out again. Like every heavy stiff boot, they aren't fun to trek in.

Not sure where the OP is hunting, but for mid Sept the insulation would be nice for the northern ranges. I've been snowed on heavily in the Chugach. For SE, I'd agree that an un-insulated should be fine and save a little weight.

Article 4

WKR
I have worn Crispi's, Schnees, Zams, Meindls, and Kenntreks - then I bought a pair of Lathrop and Sons. Yes, the are more $$$$ than the rest but there is a reason why
  1. Build quality is exceptional and IMO and IME, the quality is better
  2. They will custom fit them, for a high mountain hunt you might like that
  3. They are expressly made for sheep terrain - stiff both torsionally and longitudinally
  4. The mountain hunter is a perfect blend of walkability and accident preventing grip
I have put perhaps 250 miles on mine and they have not lost any of their attributes. They are probably too stiff for normal hunts but for alpine and sheep country, you get what you pay for

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I've gotten away with some pretty soft boots for sheep hunting. For hunts not involving glacier travel, the reduced weight on my feet easily outweighed the reduced support. Killed the last couple wearing Trango TRX, which are basically REI class hikers. BUT... for goat, I still like those stiff mountain boots. Crampon use can save a life on snowy or wet grass, and my handful of goat hunts have been more about terrain than miles. I've got a set of Nepals with a lot of miles and blood on them for that type of thing. Been re-soled once, and nearly worn out again. Like every heavy stiff boot, they aren't fun to trek in.

Not sure where the OP is hunting, but for mid Sept the insulation would be nice for the northern ranges. I've been snowed on heavily in the Chugach. For SE, I'd agree that an un-insulated should be fine and save a little weight.
Southeast

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn Crispi's, Schnees, Zams, Meindls, and Kenntreks - then I bought a pair of Lathrop and Sons. Yes, the are more $$$$ than the rest but there is a reason why
  1. Build quality is exceptional and IMO and IME, the quality is better
  2. They will custom fit them, for a high mountain hunt you might like that
  3. They are expressly made for sheep terrain - stiff both torsionally and longitudinally
  4. The mountain hunter is a perfect blend of walkability and accident preventing grip
I have put perhaps 250 miles on mine and they have not lost any of their attributes. They are probably too stiff for normal hunts but for alpine and sheep country, you get what you pay for
I have a pair of zambelins on the way. Will look into Lathrop n sons if zamberlins don't fit correctly.

It really depends on the terrain, I did my first goat hunt in a pair of Xtratuf’s (I can highly NOT recommend those). The second goat hunt was in a pair Solomon 4d gtx. If I ws to do it today, my Lowa Tibets would get the nod.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I goat hunted in those in SE. Great boot but Zamberlans fit me really well. They are my go to alpine boot. What's most important is how the boot fits you. Good luck!

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Received the Zamberlins today. Went with a 12 which is typically what I wear. Used a midweight darn tough sock. Up and down the stairs for several minutes, noticed a good bit of heel slip. Put on a heavyweight sock and that helped some. Will go down 1/2 size and see if that resolves the issue. Toe box room was sufficient for my rather wide foot. I've never worn an 11 1/2 size shoe/boot of any kind. Zamberlin does advise that some folks will need to size down 1/2 size for proper fit.

I used my uninsulated nevadas on a south central goat hunt along with some mountain caribou hunts. My toes would get cold sitting glassing this past September hunting moose and looking to get into insulated boots honestly. I think you’d be fine with your nevadas broken in if the treads still good. I did side hilling and scree fields with mine and a loaded pack with my Billy in it and no issues. SEAK can be a different beast though.

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Tried both sizes in the zamberlins mountain trek gtx. Tried different lacing techniques, can't get them to fit comfortably. Too much heel movement. Just ordered a set of scarpa ribelle hd's. Hopefully they fit my foot better.