Boots when things get cold

peterk123

WKR
I've been using my uninsulated Beartooths for the past three years for all weather conditions. But my feet do get cold when it gets down into the teens, especially when there is snow. I will use my pac boots but for longer hikes they are just heavy. Do you guys think sizing up and getting a 200gram thinsulate Beartooth with heavier socks will do the trick, or should I look at alternatives? Thx Pete

yfarm

WKR
Son has 200g Beartooth, feet got cold this year stillhunting. Has arctic covers but doesnt want to mess with. Wants a boot with similar flex but better insulation. Leading candidate is the Crispi Wild Rock +

CaseyU

WKR
I can tell you sizing up and going insulated will make a huge difference but not a fix all for everyone. Some people just have better circulation and vessels dont constrict as fast as others when cold. I just have cold feet and have to go overboard. For most i think sizimg up with some quality boots and good sock will do the trick. I use scarpa mountaineering boots. They are heavy but no more cold feet when temp really dips.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
200g insulation really isn’t that much. I can wear a 200g boot all day into the 50 and 60s. If I was really looking for a warm boot, I’d get a lot more insulation.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a La Sportiva G2 SM mountaineering boot. Crampon compatible. No regrets so far for SAR work. Feet and toes are way too important to me, just like fingers. Last cold-hunting I did was miserable in uninsulated boots, way too big of a distraction and hassle the whole trip.

I have been wearing Scarpa mountaineering boots for several years now, but switched to a plastic boot over the past couple of years when it gets real cold and there is substantial snow on the ground. My feet are always cold, so when I am in the snow and wet, they get incredibly miserable. So far this has been the best fix I have found for me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have been wearing Scarpa mountaineering boots for several years now, but switched to a plastic boot over the past couple of years when it gets real cold and there is substantial snow on the ground. My feet are always cold, so when I am in the snow and wet, they get incredibly miserable. So far this has been the best fix I have found for me.
I’ve got a pair of plastic scarpa mountaineering boots that I’m using for cold hunts. When I’m using my snow mobile to hunt my feet get cold but hiking around in bunny boots isn’t great. This year it looks like I’ll be chasing moose and caribou on the snow machine then spring bear so I grabbed the plastic scarpas.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using my uninsulated Beartooths for the past three years for all weather conditions. But my feet do get cold when it gets down into the teens, especially when there is snow. I will use my pac boots but for longer hikes they are just heavy. Do you guys think sizing up and getting a 200gram thinsulate Beartooth with heavier socks will do the trick, or should I look at alternatives? Thx Pete

What pacs do you have?

The Schnees/Kennetrek/Hoffman style pacs are not like the old style Sorel's- you can hunt/hike in these. I'll often cover 15 miles in my Schnees w/o any problems. The taller models also negate the need for gaiters.

I don't own any insulated boots- non-insulated Gore-tex boots and pacs cover all my needs.

As soon as there is 6"+ of snow and mercury drops, I transition to pacs. The last two years that's been October for us :rolleyes:

Mcnasty

FNG
An alternate or additional approach is to mitigate the moisture from your feet reaching your insulating layer. With any boot set up to add warmth consider a Vapor Barrier Liner VBL sock. set up is this ....thin liner sock, VBL, then wool sock. The VBL will keep your sweat from reaching the insulating sock and or the boot. you can buy them https://www.gearx.com/rab-vapour-ba...MI2O_9nseWggMVvkxHAR0aFwHzEAQYBCABEgKPKvD_BwE
or just try it with a bread or bagel bag on the cheap. It feel weird at first but once your feet reach a relative humidity they will stop sweating.. Note if your boots are already tight adding layers even though thin may defeat the value if you reduce the circulation in the process. I have very sweaty feet and do this with uninsulated mountaineering style boots as well as pac boots. Super gaiters will also allow you to eak out a few more degrees and and add some modularity depending on conditions I have used these for many years https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
An alternate or additional approach is to mitigate the moisture from your feet reaching your insulating layer. With any boot set up to add warmth consider a Vapor Barrier Liner VBL sock. set up is this ....thin liner sock, VBL, then wool sock. The VBL will keep your sweat from reaching the insulating sock and or the boot. you can buy them https://www.gearx.com/rab-vapour-ba...MI2O_9nseWggMVvkxHAR0aFwHzEAQYBCABEgKPKvD_BwE
or just try it with a bread or bagel bag on the cheap. It feel weird at first but once your feet reach a relative humidity they will stop sweating.. Note if your boots are already tight adding layers even though thin may defeat the value if you reduce the circulation in the process. I have very sweaty feet and do this with uninsulated mountaineering style boots as well as pac boots. Super gaiters will also allow you to eak out a few more degrees and and add some modularity depending on conditions I have used these for many years https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm
Be careful with this as it can work well depending on your environment but it can also be a killer Mors Kochanski did a portion of his survival training just on this subject and when you want a boot and sock that breathes versus a vapor barrier you have to remember that in most cases moisture staying on or around your feet is bad news you want that moisture to leave and travel away from the feet moisture on or near the feet pulls heat away by conduction and also causes more issues like friction and bacterial growth. In most instances a good removable insulative liner for the boots with an extra pair of liners to swap works best.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
There are really good winter pac boots and winter hunting pacs that hoffman does they are phenomenal boots in general but if you call the people there at hoffman's and explain the type of hunting you do in the environment you mostly do it they can recommend a boot that will fit your needs. I have two pairs of their pac boots the cowboy packers as well as the double layer guides I have personally put well over 20 miles of hiking in nagative digits all the way up to the 30s in them without my feet roasting or getting cold they have very nice removable liners that can be swapped and left out to dry and I have never had an issue with muscle fatigue they are much lighter than other pacs I've used. I personally wont buy another winter boot besides hoffman's anymore and theres a good chance even non insulated and others will be hoffman's from now on. Had mine for 4 years now and are holding up great from October to March they are all that gets worn around the ranch and everywhere else.

wildcat33

WKR
Schnees makes a 600gr boot that is very warm. Too warm for me for all but the coldest of 3rd and 4th season rifle hunts. But that may be the trick for you. Granite.

Mcnasty

FNG
Be careful with this as it can work well depending on your environment but it can also be a killer Mors Kochanski did a portion of his survival training just on this subject and when you want a boot and sock that breathes versus a vapor barrier you have to remember that in most cases moisture staying on or around your feet is bad news you want that moisture to leave and travel away from the feet moisture on or near the feet pulls heat away by conduction and also causes more issues like friction and bacterial growth. In most instances a good removable insulative liner for the boots with an extra pair of liners to swap works best.
@Wildhorse Absolutely agree double boots with extra liners are a better option for very cold and extended trips, and you must dry your feet well nightly, and trench food can be a very real risk. That said a VBL keeps your boots and socks dry and there for warmer, this technique has been used by climbers for a very long time. I personally switched from double boots to leather climbing boots several decades ago for anything in the single digits and above and even then when I do put on my trusty old koflack arctis or Sorles for very cold days I still run the VBL. One other data point for me, ice fishing (sitting still) with Soral pack boots my feet still get cold in moderately cold conditions once the sweat soaks the sock and the liner with out the VBL. I have also tried anti perspirant as a way to reduce wetting out socks but the VBL ultimately has worked the best for me and many other folks I have climbed with. Conditions for example the north east NH (typically very moist) vs say out west CO (typically very dry) and intended activity level, actively moving vs sitting will always dictate the choice of gear. Just my experience and 2 cents.

Aviator

WKR

I’ve found these to be bullet proof in cold wet weather.

bmart2622

WKR
What pacs do you have?

The Schnees/Kennetrek/Hoffman style pacs are not like the old style Sorel's- you can hunt/hike in these. I'll often cover 15 miles in my Schnees w/o any problems. The taller models also negate the need for gaiters.

I don't own any insulated boots- non-insulated Gore-tex boots and pacs cover all my needs.

As soon as there is 6"+ of snow and mercury drops, I transition to pacs. The last two years that's been October for us :rolleyes:
Your packs are uninsulated?

*zap*

WKR
always wear dry socks. Change socks and put the damp ones over yous shoulders under your jacket.

jimh406

WKR
You don't say what kind of socks you are using. As others have said, dry feet are important. That might mean carrying multiple pairs of socks and swapping them out.

If your feet are only getting cold when you stop and glass, etc, you can buy overboots to put on once you stop like these. I'm not recommending them, but this is one example.