Boots on a budget?

Danners and Lowas on sale at Camofire right now-

I bought a pair of Cabelas branded Meindl boots 8 years ago for an elk hunt and they remain my favorite piece of footwear I've owned. I think they were about $140. They've taken me hundreds of miles through the Canadian Rockies, summited multiple peaks there, been through the Enchantments three times and all over Yosemite and Seqouia. I'm with those above that most folks would be better served with a more minimalist option, particularly for things like stand hunting, but I do think it pays to buy a quality shoe that is comfortable all day.

Bow Lake, 2017
Screenshot_20220212-205459_Instagram.jpg

I've got that pair... those older Meindls were a super value back then! (I still have mine- in great shape as well). But the last few years they sold them they started to decline some. Then, they were no more at Cabelas sadly...

on my third pair (in 10 years) of merrell moab 2s. Most comfortable boot ever made i think.
So confident in them I literally took my last pair out of the box new at the trailhead and headed in 10 miles in total comfort.
There only downside is they loose there waterproof abilities after a couple years.
But for the price and comfort and i dont care. If i get a few seasons out for them totally worth it IMO.
they are very comfy

I bought a pair of Cabelas branded Meindl boots 8 years ago for an elk hunt and they remain my favorite piece of footwear I've owned. I think they were about $140. They've taken me hundreds of miles through the Canadian Rockies, summited multiple peaks there, been through the Enchantments three times and all over Yosemite and Seqouia. I'm with those above that most folks would be better served with a more minimalist option, particularly for things like stand hunting, but I do think it pays to buy a quality shoe that is comfortable all day.

Bow Lake, 2017
View attachment 380397
Dude, I bought some Redhead boots for like $99 bucks from Bass Pro maybe 10 years ago. They have been in alligator swamps to Kansas badlands to Maine to Kentucky farms to Alabama peanut fields. 100 to 5 degrees. They just now wearing out. Wish I’d loaded the closet with 6 more pair.

Dude, I bought some Redhead boots for like $99 bucks from Bass Pro maybe 10 years ago. They have been in alligator swamps to Kansas badlands to Maine to Kentucky farms to Alabama peanut fields. 100 to 5 degrees. They just now wearing out. Wish I’d loaded the closet with 6 more pair.
i have the same experience with Cabelas Iron Ridge. They've far outlasted two pairs of Danners and performed better.

Looking for a pair of boots for hunting/ hiking. Leaning towards keen, merrell or danners. Don't have an unlimited budget so looking for something that will get the job done. Any insights would be great!
I'd suggest looking at sierra trading post for the asolo boots.

Lately, my family and I have started hiking very often, and that's why we were looking for boots for that. I went hiking in sneakers for the first time, but the experience was horrible, and I do not recommend hiking in sneakers. We are a family that likes to dress fashionably but at a reasonable price. Even if we go hiking, we look for some fashionable outfit ideas on the internet. And that's how I found the perfect pair of boots - KEEN Explore Mid Waterproof. Everyone from my family bought a pair of boots, and we went hiking. The difference is amazing! I hope I have helped you with this recommendation :)

Last edited:
Looking for a pair of boots for hunting/ hiking. Leaning towards keen, merrell or danners. Don't have an unlimited budget so looking for something that will get the job done. Any insights would be great!
Asolo boots from Sierra trading post

They actually build a solid boot and can be had cheap at Sierra… I have a few pairs and they have all stayed dry over a season (which is good for me) only brand boot that’s been more reliable for me is zamberlan

The asolo don’t fit me great or it’s all I would hunt in… their lighter stuff like the shivers are comfortable on my feet though… not many boots really fit me well and I’m very picky unless it’s a light flexible boot

I have had some power matics for a few years and have worn them a decent amount and they are still dry and holding up well… far exceeded my expectations for a boot I paid just over 100 bucks for

i have the same experience with Cabelas Iron Ridge. They've far outlasted two pairs of Danners and performed better.
I have a pair of 800 gram Cabela's Iron ridge That's simply cannot be beat. This will be the 12th year I've owned them I hunted harden them for seven or eight years before they just became my winter boots. They are still completely waterproof. The soles of basically become slicks at this point so I can't really use them for anything too serious. But man what an incredible boot for around the $100 mark.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

you guys that have and like the Cabelas Iron Will. Are you using them to do a lot of walking or stand hunting?

There are very affordable boots that will get the job done! I love the threads that point out affordable quality gear that works. There is plenty of good options out there that wont break your bank. You dont have to spend top dollar to be a very successful hunter. Oboz gets my vote! Affordable and comfortable.

@jpmulk for Oboz, do you size up? I wear 11 in sneakers and just about all shoes, but ended up with a 12W in Oboz. I do think I have to size up for hiking boots some to prevent toes from jamming, but it just seemed excessive with the Oboz brand. I could barely get their size 11 on my foot.

@jpmulk for Oboz, do you size up? I wear 11 in sneakers and just about all shoes, but ended up with a 12W in Oboz. I do think I have to size up for hiking boots some to prevent toes from jamming, but it just seemed excessive with the Oboz brand. I could barely get their size 11 on my foot.
They fit perfect for me in my usual size. I am a 9. I typically like a narrow heel and a wider toe box. For me, oboz are the most comfortable boot i have ever had. I pick them over my more expensive lowas and kenetreks.

I wear Meindls but my slightly cheaper vote would go to AKU.

AKU is an Italian company that makes their boots in Italy and Romania. I think I have/had 4 pairs of them. They can be had on some of the mainstream gear sites but you don't hear much on them. They're legit. Vibram soles, good constuction, very well made.

I know it won't be popular choice on here but I bought Irish Setter Elk Trackers last year. Good boot a little heavier but sole is built to last and full leather uppers. It is a stiched sole. I will never buy boots with molded and glued soles again. If I can't see the stitching I'm not buying.

I bought a pair of Lowa Camino boots last summer and probably have 300 miles on them. Never had any break in issues, and no issues with waterproofing so far. They are a little stiffer than the salomon quest boots I used prior to these, and worked great carrying ~40lb pack.

I bought a pair of Lowa Camino boots last summer and probably have 300 miles on them. Never had any break in issues, and no issues with waterproofing so far. They are a little stiffer than the salomon quest boots I used prior to these, and worked great carrying ~40lb pack.

I had these and loved them. Then I went to tibets and was really in heaven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back