Boots for treestand hunting

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
Get some lacrosse aeros. Light and tight for early. I switch to uninsulated crispis later cuz I can fit my arctic sheids over them with a hand warmer inside.

Last edited:
It depends. My feet are usually what get cold first on me. I usually wear a leather uninsulated boot to walk in. If it is kind of cold I will just use boot blankets over them while sitting. If it is really cold I will change my socks and into Bunny boots at my stand. They are over sized to allow some room for air and also to put in a chemical heater or battery insole if needed. I may try one of the leather/rubber boots that have the removable felted liner one of these years.

I hunt in Alabama. Cool or cold usually very wet and muddy. Not much walking. About everyone I hunt around wears Muck boots or a rubber boot of some sort. I was surprised at how comfortable they are.
if it warms up I have a pair of rubber muck shoes I wear.

I hunt public in SC and Private in AL. I cannot stand rubber or neoprene boots as i have skinny (but very toned, mind you) calves and I get too much wobble/flapping/squeaking in them even with pants tucked in and long socks. I also primarily saddle hunt so I feel they lack good arch support for climbing sticks.

I wear my un-insulated Schnee's Beartooth's and they suit me just fine, even when cold down here. Good Merino socks and I'm good to to.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rubber boots on long walks just equal sweat and blisters for me. Have stuck with the tried and true lace ups.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
How far north, what seasons... IMO any version of LaCrosse Alpha Burly which are insulated. A nice combo could be an 800g along with heated socks, which I have had to adopt due to circulation issues the last two years. I have had LaCrosse for 20+ years and love them from non- to 1600 gram boots. Figure your climate and weather and then buy for worse or go the middle route and supplement with good merino wool socks over heated ones if you like them.

For the last 2 years I have used uninsulated Crispi Colorado's and then put on boot blankets or artic shields, depending on temp, and throw a heater pack in each one. It has been the warmest my feet have been hunting in North central WI in 40 years.

WCB

WKR
I use Crispi Wyoming's (non insulated) till temps are in the low 30s then just go with some lacrosse pack boots with liners in them I think 800gram. Most my walks are maybe 1/2 at the most. Some times I wear some muck boots to the stand then throw the pack boots on and climb up. If it is early and really damp or for some stands wear I have to walk through water I wear a pare of cheap muck rubber boots or Itascas.

I've shot deer in my cowboy boots and work shoes when I have forgotten my boots at home. I honestly think unless you are dealing with wet swampy conditions or obviously cold late season....boots are the least important thing for stand hunters.

Jbow387

FNG
Depends on the weather and how far i am going to be walking. I have found carrying/dragging deer up out of a drainage in rubber boots is less than desireable. But so is sitting in a stand with frozen feet.
Have some LaCrosse 1600s for anything below 30, anything above that I‘ll usually wear my crispis

mskads

FNG
I mostly wear my Lacrosse Alphaburly 1600g rubber boots. But, with that being said, if your feet sweat on your walk in, you might as well wear tennis shoes, because they'll be just as warm if you hunt in cold weather like I do. That's the one thing that I don't like about wearing my rubber boots, is they fact they're rubber, and don't breathe. I generally will wear some white cotton socks in them on my way to the stand, but then stop a couple hundred yards from my stand, and change my sweaty socks to a dry pair of silk liner socks, with a nice merino sock over them. Then, my feet stay nice and dry and toasty from sun-up, till sun-down.

CMF

WKR
Depends on weather, but I find it better to use uninsulated boots otherwise my feet sweat on the way in and end up cold. I put artic shield boot covers on them once I'm in the stand, add footwarmers for really cold mornings.

CRBTBB711

FNG
I use the muck artic boots. Feet stay decent but I still use hand warmers if the temps are below 10 degree F. My furthest walk to a stand is about 1/2 mile. Not sure I would want to trek much more than a mile in them.

LostArra

WKR
Depends on recent rainfall and creek crossings.
As much as I like tree climbing in my hikers it's sure nice to kick off those muddy Lacrosse when I get back to the truck

Fowl Play

WKR
Just passing along something that took me way too long to learn. My feet always froze. Of course not sweating and good fitting boots, wool socks, etc are paramount but another huge factor is keeping your head/torso warm. If your feet are freezing it’s a good indication you do not have enough layers on for your core. When your overall body temperature drops, your body sends most of your blood to the core, leaving extremities with less circulation. If your feet are freezing and you feel like you have great socks/boots on your feet. You need to put on another layer for your core.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
Heated insoles. Get hot on your way in, turn them on when you’re not hot anymore. Don’t wait till you’re cold. I like leather boots for hiking ridges. This works well for me hunting late archery in wisconsin.