Boots for Alaska winter

Ok first winter living in Alaska. What are yalls just go to everyday footwear?
I'm living in the Anchorage area for what's it's worth.

akrdkill

WKR
well.....pretty broad range temps...you talking running around town or outside all day?
bunny boots are the alaska norm for anything extended or real cold, pac boots or similiar moderate stuff...good insulated shoes boots for running errands

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Oboz Bridger 9s are nice. Synthetic insulation packs out after a season or two though. Wool socks, whatever boot you have that is not tight (don't want to restrict circulation) along eith adequate clothing will get you the furthest. If your core is cold, your body will restrict blood flow to the extremities and your feet will be cold no matter what you have on them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
White bunny boots for anything serious like winter hunting, I’ve fishing, snow machining. I’m going to get some Hoffman pace for everyday type stuff and general winter walking.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
My extreme cold boots are La Sportiva G2s. If you want to go full retard you could get the La Sportiva Olympus Mons.

I have had cold feet in the G2s. I dressed for the weather and activity. Then volunteered to partially bury myself as a mock avalanche victim, which I had planned on just being a searcher. After spending 30 minutes laying in and on the snow my feet were painfully cold, through they were also the only part of me with insulation designed for brutally cold conditions. Conversely, my feet have been warm in -20 F in the Bridger 9s because the rest of me was properly insulated.

OP
HuntInWild88
Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into them. I know about bunny boots my dad used to have a couple pairs of them and I'll pick some up for the extreme stuff.
I'm looking for just everyday go to boot.
Something to throw on for just running to the store, walking the dog, maybe shoveling the driveway(takes about a 30-45 min). Not staying out for extended periods of time but something that doesn't take me 5 min just to put on and lace up.
well.....pretty broad range temps...you talking running around town or outside all day?
bunny boots are the alaska norm for anything extended or real cold, pac boots or similiar moderate stuff...good insulated shoes boots for running errands

Mojave

WKR
It's not really cold in Anchorage, just wet. The record is something like -14. The winter average is in the 20-30s. But Anchorage gets a good amount of snow.

Judging by that "ya'all" it is probably devistatingly cold to you. So what I we would wear as Alaskans would be normal waterproof hikers, basic snow boots, xtratuffs, flipflops, crocs, tennis shoes. Same as everyone else in coastal Alaska.

Versus what someone in Fairbanks or Barrow would want on their feet. But even when I lived in Barrow I normally just wore running shoes or work boots. I wore Northern Outfitters stuff or Canadian military surplus mukluk boots for work. I never owned Bunny boots when I lived in Alaska, but I wore them as a kid in Wyoming. They work!

In the old days we all wore Sorel, Kamik, or Baffin type pac boots, but they aren't actually very warm. Schnees and Kennetrek also make some pac boots so does LL Bean.
https://www.llbean.com

I have good luck with these at about 20 to -5 F. Pretty much winter in Anchorage weather. I wore the shorter black version of this boot called the Olympia when I was living in Sitka.

In Northern Alaska this is getting to be pretty common, but in Anchorage with all that moisture I don't know what I think. Styling for your man-bun though. My wife absolutely loves hers when we lived in Fairbanks. But like I said way colder and drier snow. Just think of all the manbun action you'll rock with these though.
https://www.mukluks.com

I can't find a supplier for new Northern Outfitters military mukluk type boots, or any new Canadian companies producing the Canadian service mukluk. I am sure if you ask around town you'll find some.

Antares

WKR
I like the old Sorel Caribous for just slipping into to do chores around the house, walk the dogs, run around town, etc. I like how soft the rubber is, pretty grippy on packed snow and ice.

OP
HuntInWild88
It's not really cold in Anchorage, just wet. The record is something like -14. The winter average is in the 20-30s. But Anchorage gets a good amount of snow.

Judging by that "ya'all" it is probably devistatingly cold to you. So what I we would wear as Alaskans would be normal waterproof hikers, basic snow boots, xtratuffs, flipflops, crocs, tennis shoes. Same as everyone else in coastal Alaska.

Versus what someone in Fairbanks or Barrow would want on their feet. But even when I lived in Barrow I normally just wore running shoes or work boots. I wore Northern Outfitters stuff or Canadian military surplus mukluk boots for work. I never owned Bunny boots when I lived in Alaska, but I wore them as a kid in Wyoming. They work!

In the old days we all wore Sorel, Kamik, or Baffin type pac boots, but they aren't actually very warm. Schnees and Kennetrek also make some pac boots so does LL Bean.

I have good luck with these at about 20 to -5 F. Pretty much winter in Anchorage weather. I wore the shorter black version of this boot called the Olympia when I was living in Sitka.

In Northern Alaska this is getting to be pretty common, but in Anchorage with all that moisture I don't know what I think. Styling for your man-bun though. My wife absolutely loves hers when we lived in Fairbanks. But like I said way colder and drier snow. Just think of all the manbun action you'll rock with these though.

I can't find a supplier for new Northern Outfitters military mukluk type boots, or any new Canadian companies producing the Canadian service mukluk. I am sure if you ask around town you'll find some.
Thanks. Not devastating cold for me. I've lived in some pretty cold places they just didn't get as much much snow.
The wife on the other hand grew in Florida. Anything below 70 and she's cold! We've been here two months and she already hates it. I'm the opposite I hate the heat.
Not sure what your trying to say about the man bun thing. If your saying it about me or the general public in Anchorage. I can assure you there's no man bun on me. I bearly even have hair, by choice although it is starting to get rather thin up there.

akrdkill

WKR
i light my muck artic ice in the shorter version for the wet snowy short duration chores & around town, slip some felt liners in bottom or bama socks & you can stay pretty warm

Movi

FNG
Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into them. I know about bunny boots my dad used to have a couple pairs of them and I'll pick some up for the extreme stuff.
Something to throw on for just running to the store, walking the dog, maybe shoveling the driveway(takes about a 30-45 min). Not staying out for extended periods of time but something that doesn't take me 5 min just to put on and lace up.
I wear adidas shoes for shoveling snow, grocery store, walking the dog, etc.

Also whomever said the record low is -14 is incorrect. I’ve seen close to -30 numerous times.

Mojave

WKR
Thanks. Not devastating cold for me. I've lived in some pretty cold places they just didn't get as much much snow.
The wife on the other hand grew in Florida. Anything below 70 and she's cold! We've been here two months and she already hates it. I'm the opposite I hate the heat.
Not sure what your trying to say about the man bun thing. If your saying it about me or the general public in Anchorage. I can assure you there's no man bun on me. I bearly even have hair, by choice although it is starting to get rather thin up the

Joke about normal manbun type dudes wearing Steger mukluks.

I married the polar opposite as well she thinks that she’s cool and she wants to live in Svalbard but she would die 10 minutes after we got off the airplane.

z987k

WKR
A pair of Muck's. What you described is what I use mine for.
or

Everyone in town will carry those.

The record low in Anchorage is -14?? Maybe last year, that was the coldest it got....or maybe I've been living somewhere else for the last 30 years.:unsure:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Army's Vapor Barrier (Bunny) boot.

business friend of mine in Alaska just picked up the latent patent on these bad boys and is resurrecting them. Not sure about production but the prototypes are bad to the bone!
Man I hope he has success with this. I have a pair of white ones but I’d like to get some new ones but they are damn near impossible to find.