Boots for Alaska winter

OP
HuntInWild88
I know this is off what my OP was but does any have experience with Korkers winter boots? I'm also looking for a good ice fishing boot.

z987k

WKR
I wear those arctic mucks ice fishing to.
They're kind of my do everything cold with the exception of long hikes. I don't want to put any sort of miles on them, they're not good for that. Generally miles in the winter means it needs to be sturdy enough to go into a showshoe or the like as well.

OP
HuntInWild88
I wear those arctic mucks ice fishing to.
They're kind of my do everything cold with the exception of long hikes. I don't want to put any sort of miles on them, they're not good for that. Generally miles in the winter means it needs to be sturdy enough to go into a showshoe or the like as well.
Thanks for the insight I'll definitely give those mucks a good look.

crich

WKR
Last year was my 1st winter in AK (Anchorage) and insulated mucks did the trick for me if it was really cold or we had a fresh snow. Otherwise regular shoes are just fine for bouncing around town in 20* weather. Big Rays carries a variety of baffin boots that are impressive if you want to spend a grip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm intrigued
Good luck, the last ones were made in like 1996 and they have really been tough to find over the past few years. I got mine about 5 years ago, the lady I was buying them from told me they were closing shop and asked if I wanted to buy 2 pairs. I really wish I had said yea because sure enough, she dod close her shop and I can’t find a pair of Size 11s to save my life.

Shraggs

WKR
If I’m not mistaken, should OP find a pair of bunny boots or black Mickey Mouse - they run large. One size in black maybe a touch more in white.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I’m not mistaken, should OP find a pair of bunny boots or black Mickey Mouse - they run large. One size in black maybe a touch more in white.
Black ones are easier to find. White ones are warmer. Since I can’t find any in the size I need, my white ones are specifically reserved for snow serious use since hunny boots really aren’t that durable, I don’t want to put any wear and tear on them just using them for day too day stuff. I’ll get Hoffman pad boots for the daily stuff.

Bigsky108

FNG
Muck Arctic Pro are pretty amazing boots.

I wore them for years in North Dakota winters while working in the oilfields. I much prefer them to big bulky boots like Baffins etc. They allowed decent ankle support considering they are a slip on boot, due to the smaller boot profile, and were able to keep my feet relatively comfortable in -40 degree weather working outside all day. Granted, at those temperatures every book is going to let you down to some degree. However, the mucks kept my feet dry and didn't trip me up in the snow walking around. I love them, and so did many coworkers of mine.

For snow shoveling, ice fishing in a tent, family walks, and just plain running around; I typically just wear a rubber boot like x tra tuffs with wool socks.

I'm also a former ND roughneck. Spent 26 years in that state before I moved to southcentral AK to escape from the damn cold. I've had a couple pair of bunny boots and prefer the Baffin extreme cold boots. They were the only boots that kept my feet warm tripping pipe on those -40 nights and late season tree stand sits. They would last a whole winter and remain waterproof even with all the drilling brine and invert abuse. I still wear baffins when I'm planning on being out snowmachining or something. As you can see, several options available, just comes down to personal preference.

Movi

FNG
Hey dudes are a close 2nd to my go to winter boot for around town.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I like insulated Xtratufs for easy on/off, shoveling, walking the dog, and often snowmachine rides. They are also good for winter deer hunting in PWS and I even wear them gillnetting in May. When it is single digits or colder and I will be outside for a while, I switch to a felt lined Sorrel.

The trick with Xtratufs is to add the felt insole to soak up sweat. Pull them out at night to dry.

Lfkfam

FNG
Black ones are easier to find. White ones are warmer. Since I can’t find any in the size I need, my white ones are specifically reserved for snow serious use since hunny boots really aren’t that durable, I don’t want to put any wear and tear on them just using them for day too day stuff. I’ll get Hoffman pad boots for the daily stuff.
Sorry to dig up an older thread but I was in Fairbanks last October and there was an Army Surplus store that had a shelf full of those boots. Might be worth checking out!