Boots first time

Going on my first elk hunt during 3rd week of September at about 9,000 feet.

I know everyone says to buy Crispis etc and go expensive on footwear but realistically that is not in everyone’s budget…

I’m having to buy quite a few things and don’t want to drop so much on crispis. I’m a Pipefitter by day and wear thorogoods daily and hike in them around Missouri while turkey hunting and have no issues. They are leather and don’t have amazing traction so probably not best for Colorado.

That being said what is everyone recommending for sub $200 boots for Colorado? Should I bring an insulated and uninsulated pair? Should both be water proof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For September hunting you don’t need insulation. Waterproof is up to you. I’ve worn non Gore Tex boots plenty in September.

If you’re focused on one brand you’re already doing it wrong, unless you know for sure that is the best fit for your feet. Also, everyone’s preference for stiffness and stability varies. Some love trail runners for hunting. Some hate them.

Were it me, I’d be hitting all the sale sites and ordering boots to try on. Return what doesn’t fit. It’s your hunt and your budget. A good hunt can really suck because of ill fitting boots. Take some Leukotape.

EvanG17

Lil-Rokslider
You will need insulated. I’m a lineman and run la sportiva boots year round. I have a set of crispi boots that are lightly insulated and I love them for hunting

yfarm

WKR
Take your Thorogoods to a cobbler and replace the soles with vibram sierras. My first elk hunt in NM I wore Russell Birdshooters and did fine, many elk have been shot by hunters wearing their daily workboots. Worried about wet feet get some neoprene or sealskin socks. Lots of northern elk hunters switch to rubber bottomed pacs by late September. Did one mulie hunt in wyoming wearing trail shoes. Shop ebay once you know what brand you want and how they fit.

yfarm

WKR
From another post similar topic mtwarden
d a question in my pm's about fording in cold water and strategies to help. The bottom line is on these May trips you're feet are going to be wet, no matter what you might try to prevent it. Each and every day you'll be crossing numerous small creeks, big creeks and rivers. Often there is running water right down the trail, sometimes for miles. Add in wet snow and rain on top, it's a given your feet are going to be wet.

We wear wear trail runners exclusively, have tried boots-they simply get too heavy and when they freeze at night (soaking wet) almost impossible to get back on—trail runners you can work the fabric with your hands and wiggle in your foot.

If it's warm and mostly dry (rarely) I'll just wear my regular wool socks. Take the wet ones off at night (and hopefully at least once during the day to air out), dry my feet thoroughly and don "sleep" socks. These are always left dry and stored in a dry bag w/ any other clothing not being warm. The exception is the last day when you can start off in dry socks (short lived, but it is a pleasure :D).

Most of the time though I'm wearing thin neoprene socks w/ a very thin merino liner sock. The neoprene does not keep your foot dry (nothing would), but it does keep your feet warmer. Not toasty warm, but not frigid like with regular socks. They will also freeze at night (along with the merino liners) but a little hand molding and you can get your foot in them w/o much effort.

If the day does turn on hot and dry, I'll bag up the neoprene socks/liners and go back to regular socks.

I should also mention that in addition to airing your feet out mid-day (usually lunch break) and wearing dry socks at night, I apply a thin coating of hydropel. It's petroleum and dimethicone based cream that helps prevent blisters but also maceration from wet feet. You might be able to apply to wet feet, but I apply at night to dry feet.

https://www.trailtoes.com

croben

WKR
Start watching camofire and other sites for boots on sale. You should be able to find a pretty good pair on sale for that price.

TaperPin

WKR
Find a popular backpacking boot that fits well and find a used pair on eBay. You can often find near new boots barely broke in for $.25 to $.33 on the dollar. Don’t guess - find the exact boot, width and size.

I’ve bought half a dozen used pairs over the years and saved about $1,000.

Jmort1754

WKR
Find a popular backpacking boot that fits well and find a used pair on eBay. You can often find near new boots barely broke in for $.25 to $.33 on the dollar. Don’t guess - find the exact boot, width and size.

I’ve bought half a dozen used pairs over the years and saved about $1,000.
THIS...

Just bought my dad a pair of lathrop and sons mountain hunters brand new for 60 bucks.

wildcat33

WKR
This is plenty of boot for september elk hunting: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/toro-pro-gtx-mid
and they can be found cheaper depending on size. Insulation is (typically) not needed unless you get some wild cold spell. Running shoes and pac boots are non-sense on the extreme ends of spectrum. Lowa and Zamberlan are good brands that can often be found on sale. September is usually more T-shirt weather than snow weather.

manitou1

WKR
You won’t need insulated.

Here’s a great boot and great price. But no way can I say what will fit your feet well.

Lowa camino on sale
I have many pairs of high end hunting boots and bought some Lowa Caminos for "everyday" hiking, walks, recreation camping with the wife.
They are proving to be my favorite hiker style boot!

roymunson

WKR
Good boots. Otherwise you run the risk of throwing a lot of money away because you wouldn't spend another $150 on boots. If you're not gonna be back soon, it seems short sighted to risk it.

I'd rather go with a cheaper pack, binocs, scope, or even an entry level rifle than boots that aren't comfortable.

And if you have to try 2 pairs to find a pair you like, you're already paying for good boots.

And if you have to try 2 pairs to find a pair you like, you're already paying for good boots.

Thats a good way to look at it. I picked up my Baltoro lites for ~40% off so I think I paid $250 shipped. There will be sales, any major american holiday generally yields a sale from manufacturers and online retailers

Possibly even look at the boots as something to use for other than hunting.. I bought new boots and i use them to hike in. A nicer boot(zamberlan, crispi, kenetrek) can be resoled so than can be a price savings too. So wear out the expensive boot in 3-4 years, for another $100 you can get 3 more years out of them. Puts you at ~$350-$500 for 6-7 years of use.

Lots of good boots semi used to barely worn on the for sale forum

CorbLand

WKR
If your willing to buy used...used boots arent worth much and you can get them at a pretty good discount.

I would buy the LOWAs or INOV8s posted earlier and go enjoy your hunt.

Also watch Sierra, they have some good deals on LOWAs right now.

Last edited: