Boot Recommendation Please

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new pair of boots and am hoping to take advantage of some sales in the near future (Black Friday, etc.). I'm looking for an uninsulated boot for early season archery hunts and summer scouting. Breathability is a big thing for me, so I'd like to avoid any options that are mostly leather.

Boots that I've owned/used:
1. Salomon Quest 4D - Loved the fit, but these are a little too flexible for what I'm looking for. Also, durability was a big issue for me and these started leaking after a few months.
2. Crispi Colorado (original version) - These fit a little weird. The volume top-bottom was a bit too roomy and required me to really get the laces really tight. This led to the toebox being a little too tight and developing a spot on my right pinky toe. What helped a ton was finally biting the bullet and getting orthotics made which solved the volume issue mostly (still have a hot spot on my toe since that toe is now pushed more up towards the boot). I got two seasons out of these boots and put a good amount of miles on them (they held up great!). If the fit was closer to the Salomons (I think I need a slightly bigger toe box), I'd be ordering another pair. Another concern for me is ankle support. The ABSS system seems to be more of a gimmick and I've been able to roll my ankle in these boots in steeper terrain. I'm considering a taller boot as a result.

As a result, I guess the Colorados are the 80% option for me, but I'd like something with a fit more like my Salomons. I'm open to any/all brands/options. In terms of stiffness, I'd like something along the lines of the Colorado. I know that means my foot steps are going to be louder (I did blow a stalk this year with these on and I think it was noise that did it), but I like the support.

Thanks in advance.

C.payne

WKR
I have recently gone through a pile of boots. And have landed on the La Sportiva Aequilibrium. They seem to fit the description of what you are looking for and are unbelievably comfortable for me. They are a narrower fit but have a pretty decent toe box. As far as the durability I can’t comment yet as I only have about 20 miles on them. The only con is that I am really not a fan of their colour scheme.

sndmn11

WKR
RMSgear has Hanwag to try on (I think you are in the Denver Metro?) the Alverstones are a lot of synthetic.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Lowa Ticams are probably what I'm running in addition to the Crispi Colorados. I'd wear the Hanwag alverstones if they were a hair wider though.

JGTWI

WKR
You might want to take a look at the Crispi Summit. Might not have quite the support/stiffness you’re looking for, but they are breathable and very comfortable.

I used the Salewa Alp Trainer II this archery season. They are stiffer than they seem at the store and took a little break in but I really enjoyed the boot. Waterproofness was thoroughly tested and passed. The lacing system is highly adaptable to provide perfect foot hugging fit. I liked these better the my Salomon X-Ultra Pioneers.

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new pair of boots and am hoping to take advantage of some sales in the near future (Black Friday, etc.). I'm looking for an uninsulated boot for early season archery hunts and summer scouting. Breathability is a big thing for me, so I'd like to avoid any options that are mostly leather.

Boots that I've owned/used:
1. Salomon Quest 4D - Loved the fit, but these are a little too flexible for what I'm looking for. Also, durability was a big issue for me and these started leaking after a few months.
2. Crispi Colorado (original version) - These fit a little weird. The volume top-bottom was a bit too roomy and required me to really get the laces really tight. This led to the toebox being a little too tight and developing a spot on my right pinky toe. What helped a ton was finally biting the bullet and getting orthotics made which solved the volume issue mostly (still have a hot spot on my toe since that toe is now pushed more up towards the boot). I got two seasons out of these boots and put a good amount of miles on them (they held up great!). If the fit was closer to the Salomons (I think I need a slightly bigger toe box), I'd be ordering another pair. Another concern for me is ankle support. The ABSS system seems to be more of a gimmick and I've been able to roll my ankle in these boots in steeper terrain. I'm considering a taller boot as a result.

As a result, I guess the Colorados are the 80% option for me, but I'd like something with a fit more like my Salomons. I'm open to any/all brands/options. In terms of stiffness, I'd like something along the lines of the Colorado. I know that means my foot steps are going to be louder (I did blow a stalk this year with these on and I think it was noise that did it), but I like the support.

Thanks in advance.
Crispi unisulated Nevada GTX. Best boots in the market. Have lasted me 3 seasons with 100 plus miles each season.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Spent the whole season so far and this summer in salewa mountain trainer mids. Have enjoyed them the whole time and no issues. Scouting, hiking, deer, elk, and antelope hunting in Idaho. Seam to run true to size.
My back up pair right now are Salomon quest 4s as well, and i like the salewa’s better. So far they are holding up well and I think their toe box/fit is better than the Salomon’s. Going to change them out for Schnees beartooths here later in the season.

Last edited:
OP
C
Appreciate all the inputs. Between this thread and calling goHunt (SUPER HELPFUL OVER THE PHONE) I think I've narrowed down a sea of boots to a few options. Still haven't pulled the trigger on any orders, but I'll keep everyone posted.

@sndmn11 I've been avoiding going to RMSG because I think I would instantly be converted to a stick bow shooter. I've been firmly sitting on the fence and giving myself excuses every off season as to why I can't make the switch. At least this year I have a good excuse since my second kid is coming around Thanksgiving and there's no way I'm going to be able to practice enough with another kid.

sndmn11

WKR
Appreciate all the inputs. Between this thread and calling goHunt (SUPER HELPFUL OVER THE PHONE) I think I've narrowed down a sea of boots to a few options. Still haven't pulled the trigger on any orders, but I'll keep everyone posted.

@sndmn11 I've been avoiding going to RMSG because I think I would instantly be converted to a stick bow shooter. I've been firmly sitting on the fence and giving myself excuses every off season as to why I can't make the switch. At least this year I have a good excuse since my second kid is coming around Thanksgiving and there's no way I'm going to be able to practice enough with another kid.

Just walk in wiyh blinders on. I think 1 shot has Hanwags too.

cgr1971

FNG
Schnees has a big sale going on now. 40% off 2022 models and 30% off incoming models. The changed the lacehooks on the new models. The old ones work fine, 40% off is a lot.

I run the crispi Thor gtx and it has been a fantastic boot. Lightweight but solid support without being too hot

OP
C
First off thank you for all the recommendations. I learned a lot in my (still ongoing) search. It's been an adventure. I was hoping to jump on some Black Friday deals, but my second son showed up five weeks early and I've had my hands full.

I'll start by saying I've learned way too much about my foot. I guess I have a narrow, low volume foot that has apparently grown half a size from all the hiking I've been doing. That may explain the hot spots I was getting in my Colorados and why my toes are really close to the end of the toe box.

Another consideration in terms of fit is that I've learned that it seems like all the European manufacturers translate their European sizing to US sizing slightly differently. If you don't believe me, take a look at Crispi vs. Zamberlan's sizing guide.

In terms of stiffness, I've found what is "too stiff" for me after trying on a pair of Scarpa Ribelle Lite HDs. The Scarpas fit my foot really well, but the stiffness made them feel awkward on flat ground (in the store). That said, if I ever draw a sheep or goat tag, they would be near the top of my list for boots.

Now, on to the contenders:
  • Scarpa Ribelle Lite HD - I was able to try these on in person and they fit my foot really well, just too stiff.
  • Schnee's Beartooth - Too much leather for my preference in an early season boot since my feet run hot. That said, I may end up with an insulated pair here since I might be putting in for some later season tags this year. My buddy is going to be hunting for the first time next year and is interested in rifle hunting, so at the very least I'm going to be helping him out.
  • Various Crispi Models - I quickly discounted these since my foot has an issue with the top-bottom volume in my Colorados. My custom orthotics seems to solve this problem for the most part. That said, I did consider the Briksdal and/or Thor as these are apparently built on a narrower last. With the Thor I wasn't a fan of the non-Vibram sole and on the Briskdal I had concerns about breathability and weight.
  • Hanway Makra Combi - Not a fan of the non-reinforced toe and I could see myself breaking these.
  • Hanwag Alverstone - Saw a deal on these and pulled the trigger, will be trying them on when they show up in a few days. I kept hearing that these run narrow, so I'm hoping (for me) that means a good fit.
Boots still on my RADAR (I'm keeping an eye out for deals to give these a try):
  • Crispi Briksdal
  • Scarpa Mescalito Trk
  • Zamberlan 1110
I'll keep everyone updated. I hope I found "the one" with the Hanwags.

I too was looking for a more durable alternative to my Solamon boots and ended up with the Crispi Thor II. They fit me much better than the Crispi Guide pair I had. Just got the Thors, but so far, I am really digging them.