Jim Green African Ranger Barefoot Boots

BBob

WKR
My pre-order arrived last week. I’ll come back and add to this as I go. Sizing. My foot is low volume. Length and width of largest foot 275mm/10.8” long, 125mm/4.3” wide. In Vivo I’m wearing a 44 across 3 different styles. For sizing the Green’s I took the video (below) advice and used the sizing on the website. At my dimensions I went up slightly to the 44.5/11. These boots have no insole and the video suggests if you want to use an insole to size up. That and with my small volume foot I knew I’d be adding an insole.

The sole is soft and quiet on hard surfaces like rocks and asphalt. I like quiet soles. They feel fairly grippy but I haven’t had them out in real field conditions to test yet.

If you want a good fit without adding an insole I'd do as the video suggests go with the recommended size. If you know you are adding an insole you may want to size up. Foot volume will play in too and I'd say these are fairly roomy. Sizing up I added a ~3.5mm flat cowhide leather insole and the fit is great filling the volume about perfect so far. I can tap my foot hard on the toe vertically behind me and not touch the front of the boot. Just what I want. I'd say after adding the insole I have ~1.5cm room up front. They lace up snugly over the instep and the toes and forefoot are somewhat free. These boots have lots of toe room but not as much big toe room to the side as a Vivo. Vivo Magna's (I assume the Tracker the same) have a more glove like fit over the forefoot. I don't think either is better just different. I'm sure with use the leather is going to form fit snugger over time. These boots are definitely a more robust and better made boot than the Vivo although they are still very flexy with not much support at all. The video shows this pretty well. The uppers remind me of my old Danner Mountain Light's but a bit softer as far as the upper goes. The toe cap I think will come in handy with hidden cactus. I've stuck spines through the front of the Vivo's a couple of times now walking in the dark from cactus hidden in deep grass.

Jim Green Barefoot Ranger Sizing.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2582.jpeg
    IMG_2582.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2639.jpeg
    IMG_2639.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
Been wearing Vivo Magnas as my full time shoe since just before Thanksgiving. So far they have been great on the roof, but I've been on 3 and 4/12s, not very steep, wasn't sure how they'd do on steeper roofs. I saw these Jim Greens and they looked like a good option, closer to the Thorogoods I'm used to. I have one day in them, so far I like them. The leather and build quality feels good.
IMG_20240130_140747227.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
@BBob @id_jon

What are your opinions compared to the tracker after a little time in them?

After wearing the vivo trackers for a while most other footwear has started feeling off, I need a pair for home, but am thinking of a pair of these instead

OP
B

BBob

WKR
Still early to fully say but after I get home from a day in normal shoes getting into any of my Vivo’s or the JG’s is a relief. Not a lot of difference in foot feel or room. JG’s feel a bit more boot like than my Magna’s. The Magna’s still feel like I’m putting on heavy duty stealth slippers :ROFLMAO: I think the JG sole is always going to be a hair more clunky than the Vivo ESC due to it being a touch larger, super flat and squared off. For putzing around comfort I’d say the Magna is more comfortable but that may change after the JG’s leather gets all sweated in and form fitted like a boot like this does over time. The JG’s still need some breaking in around the ankle cuff. I did 3 coats of Nikwax leather over 3 days (Nikwax just because I had it) and stomping through the recent rains so far has no leaks. I hope to get them into some snow soon.

id_jon

WKR
They're definitely more boot like. The ankle cuffs just started to not be uncomfortable a couple days ago, took 4-5 days to break in. I haven't treated mine at all. I don't think I'll hunt in mine, but they're good so far for work and around town. I'm not a good boot reviewer, I'm pretty much happy with anything that doesn't fall apart lol. These definitely feel well constructed so far.