Boot Recommendation Please

OP
C
Update: finally got to try on the Alverstones and they were way too narrow in the toebox on my right foot (the one with the hotspot on my pinky toe from my Colorados). In terms of sizing, I did not go with a wide size since I have a narrow foot. Sure enough, my left foot fit great, but my right foot felt like my toes were jammed together. I hesitate to go with a wide since I don't really need the room elsewhere (like I said, my left foot fit great) and might end up with other fit issues like heel slip.

The search goes on!

croben

Lil-Rokslider
You might have better luck with the Briksdal. It’s a 4-flex (same as the Colorado), is 1 inch taller with the ankle bone support system, but feels like it’s a little narrower.

I’ve gone through a lot of boots before really landing on one that truly fits my foot. One of the biggest things I’ve learned is using a better insole. I’ve yet to find a good insole that came with a boot, even in higher ends boots.

OP
C
@CodeMonkey what size are you?

I wear a size 11 in my Crispis and I have just enough room length wise in my left foot (the longer one).

I went with a 11.5 in the Alverstones and length wise they're good to go.

In terms of Hanwag, I am looking at the Makra Combi again since the "Alpine Wide" last seems to describe my foot perfectly.

You might have better luck with the Briksdal. It’s a 4-flex (same as the Colorado), is 1 inch taller with the ankle bone support system, but feels like it’s a little narrower.

Those are on my short list.

sndmn11

WKR
I wear a size 11 in my Crispis and I have just enough room length wise in my left foot (the longer one).

I went with a 11.5 in the Alverstones and length wise they're good to go.

In terms of Hanwag, I am looking at the Makra Combi again since the "Alpine Wide" last seems to describe my foot perfectly.

Those are on my short list.

I thought the Alverstone Wide was wider the the Makra by far.

1shot has a great price https://www.1shotgear.com/collectio...alverstone-ii-wide-gtx?variant=40092621013143

RMSgear has them in stock.

@TX_Diver had a good thread somewhere comparing boot fit and one was the Alverstone in both narrow and wide. To might be able to use that boot as a base line to see if he describes something he tried on in comparison and to your liking.

I think you'd like the Hoffman wide explorer lite or Summit, or wide Alverstone.

Just picked up a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers, in the process of getting them broken in (I don't think it's going to take a lot of wear to do this) Seem to be a quality boot and reasonable price. These are a all leather boot with a 10 in. upper, also do not weigh much. I wear a size 11 but bought a 11 1/2 wide, fit is good and have room for a good wool sock.

TX_Diver

WKR
@sndmn11 , I have another round of comparison too after black friday as I ended up returning the Ticam 2s that I thought I was going to keep.

Now kept some Zamberlan 1104s which are on sale for like $240 right now at Zamberlan..

Zamberlan 1110 & 1104, Crispi Kenai, Nevada, and Colorado 2, Salewa Mtn Trainer Mids
ZWU4IIZh.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 , I have another round of comparison too after black friday as I ended up returning the Ticam 2s that I thought I was going to keep.

Now kept some Zamberlan 1104s which are on sale for like $240 right now at Zamberlan..

Zamberlan 1110 & 1104, Crispi Kenai, Nevada, and Colorado 2, Salewa Mtn Trainer Mids
ZWU4IIZh.jpg

You've spent more on boots this year than my truck and wedding ring are worth combined.

Rizo23

FNG
I have had lowas, sportivas and asolos and still always end up going back to kenetrek. I do like lowas but still most comfortable for my feet is kenetrek

TX_Diver

WKR
You've spent more on boots this year than my truck and wedding ring are worth combined.

Lol. I wear a wedding ring that was $19 on amazon. I do have a half decent truck now though finally. First vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't have a casette player in it.

As long as you get your return in before the credit card payment is due all is well.

For the OP, I meant to post a short comparison again this weekend but didn't get around to it. If you like the length of the alverstones but need more width the 1104s may be a decent option. The 1104 lacing system isn't quite as good (IMO) as it doesn't have the rollers, and they do have EVA foam midsoles vs PU so it's possible that they may not be quite as long lasting but we'll see. They are extremely light though and at $240 right now a pretty good buy.

I just got a pair of the Crisp Briksdal Pro GTX. They feel really nice out of the box... haven't broken then in yet. website says they are ~200 gram of insulation - does anyone have any comments on that boot yet and if it runs hot?

I woudl say my feet tend to sweat. I've got a Alaska mountain goat hunt coming up in October of 2023. Trying to decide between the Crispi's and a pair of Schee's Granite Pro's - uninsulated. Both are comfortable out of the box.

Thoughts?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair of the Crisp Briksdal Pro GTX. They feel really nice out of the box... haven't broken then in yet. website says they are ~200 gram of insulation - does anyone have any comments on that boot yet and if it runs hot?

I woudl say my feet tend to sweat. I've got a Alaska mountain goat hunt coming up in October of 2023. Trying to decide between the Crispi's and a pair of Schee's Granite Pro's - uninsulated. Both are comfortable out of the box.

Thoughts?
Boots and insulation tend to be a personal thing as people’s feet are shaped differently and handle cold differently. My feet tend to run cold. A couple years ago, I mostly ran 200g and 400g boots during the fall and winter and my feet never got cold until it got super cold out. Now I only run uninsulated boots or jump up to 800g insulated or above when it gets really cold. When paired with the right socks, this works for me.

Alaska in October will probably be cold and wet so those 200g might come in handy for you. Crispi does also make the Briksdal in an uninsulated version that a lot of people like.

prm

WKR

ZWU4IIZh.jpg
Interested in how the Zamberlan 1104s feel.

Crispis generally fit me fine (Colorado and Guide GTX), salewas were way too narrow.

TX_Diver

WKR
Interested in how the Zamberlan 1104s feel.

Crispis generally fit me fine (Colorado and Guide GTX), salewas were way too narrow.

I've been wearing the size 11.5s around town a few times and they may actually be a hair big for me. Will try with some different socks over the next week or two and also swap out the insoles as that can make a pretty big different.

The 1104s are definitely a bit wider in the toebox than a lot of other brands, volume is decent as well although on my left foot they crease right above the first lace as I walk and I can feel it on the top of my toe sometimes. Right foot has no issues.

Colorados are my favorite boot so far. These are lighter than the Colorados and also a bit more flexible. I hadn't had any "3 Flex" boots for a long time so I'm kinda trying to figure out if I like that better or not.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing the size 11.5s around town a few times and they may actually be a hair big for me. Will try with some different socks over the next week or two and also swap out the insoles as that can make a pretty big different.

The 1104s are definitely a bit wider in the toebox than a lot of other brands, volume is decent as well although on my left foot they crease right above the first lace as I walk and I can feel it on the top of my toe sometimes. Right foot has no issues.

Colorados are my favorite boot so far. These are lighter than the Colorados and also a bit more flexible. I hadn't had any "3 Flex" boots for a long time so I'm kinda trying to figure out if I like that better or not.
Colorados are my favorite boot too. How do the 1104s compare to them as far as ankle support/stiffness? The ABSS in the Crispis has helped me from rolling my ankles quite a few times. I wouldn’t mind a 3-flex with ABSS though.

Tdonat

FNG
I second the schnees timberline. My feet run hot as well, I’ve been using them for 3 archery seasons here in MT and not once have I wished for a lighter pair of boots. Definitely worth trying on at least. Also just picked up a pair of the beartooths during the sale. (200g) insulated, I will admit, those are pretty hot for my feet no matter the weather but they’ll be nice come late rifle season.

TX_Diver

WKR
Colorados are my favorite boot too. How do the 1104s compare to them as far as ankle support/stiffness? The ABSS in the Crispis has helped me from rolling my ankles quite a few times. I wouldn’t mind a 3-flex with ABSS though.
I haven't worn them on any uneven terrain or with a pack yet. It'll be spring before I do probably.

Initial impression is that they'll have decent ankle support. It'd be hard to quantify til I wear them outside though. I'm not sure exactly how Crispis ABSS works but I've never found the colorados to be lacking in ankle support. The Nevadas are a 3 flex w/ ABSS but they're a bit of a different boot and also don't fit me as well.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't worn them on any uneven terrain or with a pack yet. It'll be spring before I do probably.

Initial impression is that they'll have decent ankle support. It'd be hard to quantify til I wear them outside though. I'm not sure exactly how Crispis ABSS works but I've never found the colorados to be lacking in ankle support. The Nevadas are a 3 flex w/ ABSS but they're a bit of a different boot and also don't fit me as well.
I’ll definitely be interested to hear how they compare if you get a chance to update us in the future. I actually tried the Nevadas on a few months back and they didn’t fit my foot either.

KMarch

FNG
I wear Scarpa Fuegos, designed as a wildland boot so hold up to long days walking in rough conditions.