Boot creams vs. good ol’ mink oil?

I’ve tried quite a few different oils and creams and it seems like Obenaufs is the best product for me by far. That’s also what most of the wildland firemen used too and there really isn’t many other professions that can claim they are tougher on footware then those guys.

norcalkh

FNG
Another one for Obenaufs LP. I work in the woods and use it on straight leather and Gore-Tex boots. Tried Crispi's wax when I tried their boots last. Obenaufs has better retention and conditioning in my opinion.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Silicone spray and then mink oil will give you the best protection !

Mosby

WKR
I use silicone spray and snow seal on my cheap hunting/hiking boots. I use Kennetrek boot wax on my Lowa's and Zamberlain's and I've been happy with it.

DaleW

WKR
I have a logger buddy who just rubs used motor oil on his boots. But then again he goes through a $500 pair of cork boots every 8 months so he doesn't really care about longevity 😂

For my kennetrek hunting boots I use obernaufs. The kenetrek brand stuff was terrible.

Obenauf's LP leather conditioner - I've never had a rand lift either using this & my boots stay in great shape and last. Couldn't ask for more so I just keep on using Obenauf's.

When I wore Danner Pronghorns I only used Danner waterproofing boot care. Then I had Kenetreks, I only used Kenetrek waterproofing cream. Since the Kenetreks never really fit my feet well, I now have Crispi, and only use Crispi waterproofing cream. I use the same brand of boot treatment as the boots. You have to buy something anyway, why not buy what the manufacturer makes, sells, and recommends?
I wouldn't want to have a warranty issue that the boot maker won't honor because I used the wrong product. I hate to spend $400 on a pair of boots, and try to cut corners on a $20 bottle of boot treatment.
I always treat my boots brand new out of the box before I even take them hunting. I do it again after the season when I clean them and treat them before putting them away.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
When I wore Danner Pronghorns I only used Danner waterproofing boot care. Then I had Kenetreks, I only used Kenetrek waterproofing cream. Since the Kenetreks never really fit my feet well, I now have Crispi, and only use Crispi waterproofing cream. I use the same brand of boot treatment as the boots. You have to buy something anyway, why not buy what the manufacturer makes, sells, and recommends?
I wouldn't want to have a warranty issue that the boot maker won't honor because I used the wrong product. I hate to spend $400 on a pair of boots, and try to cut corners on a $20 bottle of boot treatment.
I always treat my boots brand new out of the box before I even take them hunting. I do it again after the season when I clean them and treat them before putting them away.
These boot makers to not make the leather care products they sell. They are just rebranding others stuff and marking it up. I would check what leather they use and see what the manufacturer of the leather recommends if really worried. For instance, my Allen Edmonds use horween chromexcel leather. I checked what horween recommends and it is half the cost of Allen's cream.

I understand what you're saying. I'm just giving my suggestion to use whatever they suggest you use. They can get whatever they want, so obviously they will want you to use what is best for their boots to keep them at optimal condition. They wouldn't suggest using something that will cause damage to their boots. I understand what you say about a product with the same ingredients being cheaper, probably because the company that rebrands and puts their name on it has to buy it from the manufacturer. I would just be careful and read the label (as you did) to make sure nothing in the product can damage the leather, sole, or rand causing it to delaminate.

As a sidenote (somewhat humorous): When I retired, I was really into Harleys. I ended up working part-time at my local Harley Dealership. I had my leather Harley jacket, and leather Harley boots (among everything else Harley), and when I read the care instructions on the leather jacket and boots, it says "We suggest you use Harley-Davidson Leather Care. Never use any petroleum products on your leather". Well, Harley sells "Harley-Davidson Leather care", part #99471-06V. When you read the label, it says "Keep out of reach of children-Contains petroleum products". I thought that was rather funny, they tell you not to use any petroleum products on their leather, but the leather care product they sell has petroleum products in it.

Last edited: