Boot Treatment - Crispi Cream Experience

I have a pair of leather Crispi Briksdal boots and for most boots I just stick to whatever product the manufacturer says to use. I dont think the Crispi brand waterproofing cream is that great. It seems to wear off very quickly. It almost seams like a conditioner rather than a waterproofing agent. I have some Hanwag shoe wax I was thinking about trying, but has anyone had luck with Nikwax cream or have another product they recommend?

nobody

WKR
Per Crispi, Nikwax and Crispi Cream are the only products they explicitly recommend. From talking on the phone with them, they state that as long as it’s not animal fat based (IE mink oil) or silicone based, you’ll be fine.

Basically it comes down to Gore’s involvement. In order for Gore Tex to certify their boots as waterproof and breathable, they have to use gore approved treatments. Mink oil works great, but it murders breathability. They won’t warranty it (1 year) if you’ve used animal fat based products.

FWIW, I’ve been a Crispi fan and user since 2017 and have had great luck with both their cream and spray. No complaints. I even use the cream on my work boots.

OP
B
Ok thanks for the reply. I might try Nikwax next. Seems like the crispi stuff just wears off really quickly

nobody

WKR
Ok thanks for the reply. I might try Nikwax next. Seems like the crispi stuff just wears off really quickly
Are you cleaning the boots first? If they’re dirty/dusty then the stuff can’t soak in and then it definitely won’t last.

OP
B
Yea i cleaned them well. Brushed them off and then scrubbed them under running water, then let them sit for a day in the garage to dry out. They look good and seem pretty well treated after I apply the stuff, but it seemed like the leather gets wetted out fairly quickly. Ill try it again and see if it does any better this time before I get some nikwax.

nobody

WKR
How old are the boots and how long had it been since you last treated them? It’s also a leather conditioner, and if the leather is “thirsty” then it might be taking in more in order to recondition the leather.

TxLite

WKR
My only experience has been with Nikwax on my schnees, but I have zero complaints with either

OP
B
Ill get some Nikwax and try that next. Maybe my experience with the crispi treatment was fine and it performed fine, but it just seemed to me that it was gone quickly. Thanks for the help guys

I been using Obenaufs LP for my leather boots and leather products for years. I believe its a bees wax based product. Never had any ill effects to my rubber rands or any ill effects at all.

Obenaufs LP....started using it on Fire boots and then just use it on all the leather stuff - works real well.

Per Crispi, Nikwax and Crispi Cream are the only products they explicitly recommend. From talking on the phone with them, they state that as long as it’s not animal fat based (IE mink oil) or silicone based, you’ll be fine.

Basically it comes down to Gore’s involvement. In order for Gore Tex to certify their boots as waterproof and breathable, they have to use gore approved treatments. Mink oil works great, but it murders breathability. They won’t warranty it (1 year) if you’ve used animal fat based products.

FWIW, I’ve been a Crispi fan and user since 2017 and have had great luck with both their cream and spray. No complaints. I even use the cream on my work boots.
I have a pair of leather Crispi Briksdal boots and for most boots I just stick to whatever product the manufacturer says to use. I dont think the Crispi brand waterproofing cream is that great. It seems to wear off very quickly. It almost seams like a conditioner rather than a waterproofing agent. I have some Hanwag shoe wax I was thinking about trying, but has anyone had luck with Nikwax cream or have another product they recommend?
I’ve had good luck with the crispi creme. My can has lasted two seasons now. I used to exclusively use nik wax but I figured might as well buy the brand made by the boot maker