Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Semi Auto (AR)

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • other?

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

waspocrew

WKR
I'm sure you'll hear both sides - in general, I prefer a bolt gun for both daytime hunting and thermal at night.

An AR is definitely nice for quick(er) follow up shots, but I feel I'm better with a bolt gun (probably from doing 98% of my shooting with one). I have an AR in 6 ARC I've been using for thermal lately and it's been a lot of fun.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I think its mission specific.

I'm running suppressed PCC right now for armadillo, coon, opossum. I've hit 3 incidental canines. Close quarters night hikes.

I'll put it on a bolt gun that has 10 round 223 mag when I sit over a field observing/calling from structure or a side by side.

In my AO I don't want to run and gun with a 223 given our topography and structure placement and the noise from report.

bolt works for me....
63910232-3584-4d58-b0bb-4b60bc32c75a.jpeg

I like bolt actions if hunting with others. It’s quieter to load on stand. I don’t like walking in the dark with loaded rifles and multiple people. If hunting solo I will load the rifle at the truck so it’s a non issue.

If you have lots of multiples and can shoot running coyotes an AR is better.

Tbone26

FNG
I use both as well but prefer AR for night time and bolt for daytime. You will definitely use more ammo with the AR but I can’t say it is more effective 😂

kkp005

WKR
I’ve got 2 thermal setups . One 7.62 x 39 AR and a bolt action 6cm… I shoot the bolt gun better and constantly grab it first