Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Semi Auto (AR)

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • other?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

waspocrew

WKR
I'm sure you'll hear both sides - in general, I prefer a bolt gun for both daytime hunting and thermal at night.

An AR is definitely nice for quick(er) follow up shots, but I feel I'm better with a bolt gun (probably from doing 98% of my shooting with one). I have an AR in 6 ARC I've been using for thermal lately and it's been a lot of fun.

Depends on if you are a one shot one kill guy or a mag dumper. Some folks call in two, kill one, then dump 20 rounds at the other as it high tails it outta there. They like AR's. If you like to wait till they stop then kill them, a bolt is fine.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I think its mission specific.

I'm running suppressed PCC right now for armadillo, coon, opossum. I've hit 3 incidental canines. Close quarters night hikes.

I'll put it on a bolt gun that has 10 round 223 mag when I sit over a field observing/calling from structure or a side by side.

In my AO I don't want to run and gun with a 223 given our topography and structure placement and the noise from report.

bolt works for me....
63910232-3584-4d58-b0bb-4b60bc32c75a.jpeg

I like bolt actions if hunting with others. It’s quieter to load on stand. I don’t like walking in the dark with loaded rifles and multiple people. If hunting solo I will load the rifle at the truck so it’s a non issue.

If you have lots of multiples and can shoot running coyotes an AR is better.