Blue Loctite Alternative??

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Because isn’t based on three cases- it’s based on hundreds of thousands of rounds a year, every year. In June alone I shot and watched shot more than 30,000 rifle rounds from less than 30 people. And it was actually two instances in June alone- as well as one in late May, and I forgot about two last August/September.

It was not the same bottle, nor even in the same states. But keep grasping at straws. It could never be that maybe in actual shooting, things don’t always work the way the book says…?

Hence why I asked you how many rounds you are shooting year, because you are adamant that I an wrong- and it couldn’t be something as simple as you not shooting enough to see the same issues…
I don't really have anything else to say other than what I have already. You are blowing a fairly minor disagreement over wording way out of proportion

BBob

WKR
You are blowing a fairly minor disagreement over wording way out of proportion
The favored passive aggressive response to deal with people that have come to different conclusions or have had a different experience.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don't really have anything else to say other than what I have already. You are blowing a fairly minor disagreement over wording way out of proportion

I haven’t blown anything out of proportion. You stated things- mostly assuming. Assuming that I didn’t degrease the screws is asinine considering the amount of times I have addressed removing all oil and all grease from all screws. Assuming that the Loctite came from the same bottle, or stating that it must be due to some error is also asinine for the same reasons.

You didn’t ask why I came to the conclusion that paint pens or nail polish are working better, you didn’t ask if the Loctite was from the same bottle, you didn’t ask if everything was degreased- you “assumed” at best that there is some simpleton error. You are stating that I am wrong, yet not asking at all how or what resulted in those statements.

The favored passive aggressive response to deal with people that have come to different conclusions or have had a different experience.

You mean like this-
Same. Probably have 40+ years using all flavors of the stuff for all sorts of purposes. I wonder how so many people manage to fuque simple stuff up so easily???

I am not passive aggressive- I asked very candidly how many rounds do you shoot on average a year to be so sure that you know the answer? Being that you brought of “experience”, can you please share yours as asked above?

In this context it matters- saying my 40 years experience is different therefore “people manage to fuque simple stuff up so easily???-will have vastly different validity if that experience is dozens to hundreds of rifles and 10,000 scopes rifle rounds year versus if that is 200 rounds a year.

To all,

As a pure data set encompassing hundreds of thousand of scoped rifle rounds a year with dozens of rifles and shooters, using Loctite 243 correctly removes most loose screw problems- however, not all. Degreasing and using a paint pen or nail polish correctly, has removed ALL problems of screws becoming loose since I and those I am around started using it- more than a decade ago.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Loctite 620 is green
@journeyman713, @Shortschaf, @BBob

Being that I am obviously wrong, and to one incompetent- how many rifle rounds do you personally fire on average a year? How many rounds do you directly see where you have control o the rifles and are responsible for determining issue and fixing them?

Why does it matter how many rounds they have fired?

You are wrong about Loctite, to back my statement up, how many tiltrotor/helicopter transmissions have you assembled.

Go read the spec sheets on any Henkel product, they have a relatively short shelf life.

They also require the absence of oxygen and too much is just as bad, actually worse than too little.

Jesus, you make crap way harder than it has to be.

IMG_4486.png

@journeyman713, @Shortschaf, @BBob

Being that I am obviously wrong, and to one incompetent- how many rifle rounds do you personally fire on average a year? How many rounds do you directly see where you have control o the rifles and are responsible for determining issue and fixing them?
I would never suggest you're incompetent, it's not a personal attack either.
I've enjoyed your posts in the past and know you're a perfectionist, not unlike me.
I probably could have PMed you, but also wanted to set the record strain on this topic for the others.
I know you want to know the right way to do things. Maybe step back and consider, some people know mechanics, like you know firearms. The Medical, Aviation, Automotive Industries, and many more are heavily regulated, and use Loctite, for good reason, and without the failures you mentioned.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Loctite 620 is green

Why does it matter how many rounds they have fired?

You don’t see irony or a problem with theory not matching reality?

You are wrong about Loctite, to back my statement up, how many tiltrotor/helicopter transmissions have you assembled.

What have I said that is wrong? Please be specific and quote it.

Go read the spec sheets on any Henkel product, they have a relatively short shelf life.

Have I said that they don’t?

They also require the absence of oxygen and too much is just as bad, actually worse than too little.

I am very aware of that. Have I said anything different?

Jesus, you make crap way harder than it has to be.

View attachment 733300

What is your point here? I am aware of how it works. Does how it’s supposed to work change that sometimes in scope ring screws it doesn’t work?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
but also wanted to set the record strain on this topic for the others.

What are you setting straight? I am literally saying that in a huge data set by nearly anyone’s view, we are, and have seen Loctite 243 fail to cure when applied correctly. Not nice or twice- often enough to take note Are you trying to say that I am lying about that? Or are you trying to say that there is no way it didn’t cure in scope ring screws, therefor it must be due to not degreasing and applying it correctly? What are you correcting exactly?

Maybe step back and consider, some people know mechanics, like you know firearms. The Medical, Aviation, Automotive Industries, and many more are heavily regulated, and use Loctite, for good reason, and without the failures you mentioned.

Again I’m not sure what your point is here? Because those people use loctite, it must mean that in this specific use case- small screws on rings, bases, and actions- that what we are seeing isn’t true?
I am aware what Henkel says- I have discussed this them. There was an engineer that uses Loctite because he’s in one of those fields where it is mandated, at the S2H class that also said the same things…. Until he had action screw that came loose, and then saw scope rings screws still completely wet from bottom to top- multiple times. Now, he uses paint pen and nail polish.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I got a set of rings from someone on here who had used a paint pen on them. I don’t know what exact pen it was, but I had a heck of a time getting it off of the rings. The aesthetics of yellow paint on a set of rings was too much for me to overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
While I pissing people off, you have a responsibility as an "influencer" to put out information that is pertinent to a broader audience. While you and your minions may be quite capable of using a 223/77gr TMK combo effectively, that doesn't mean everyone could or should, there is no way I would use it beyond 250yds, not because it's not effective, because I am not that proficient with small calibers, regardless of the terminal effects.

There are literally 1000s of young impressionable people, probably reading this forum right now, who do not have a mentor that want to learn to shoot and hunt, the last thing they need to do is purchase a few hundred rounds of factory ammo and a 223 and shoot when possible and then go afield this fall to hunt anything.

BBob

WKR
^^^ side commentary on a subject matter not pertaining to the current topic :(

Tip: Don’t feed the beast, at least not too much :)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
While I pissing people off, you have a responsibility as an "influencer"

What are you talking about?

I am not an influencer, I don’t speak for any company, nor do I get paid to write what I do.

to put out information that is pertinent to a broader audience. While you and your minions may be quite capable of using a 223/77gr TMK combo effectively, that doesn't mean everyone could or should, there is no way I would use it beyond 250yds, not because it's not effective, because I am not that proficient with small calibers, regardless of the terminal effects.

Minions? Like a much of members of this forum that I don’t know, have never met, and who gained their own experience?

There are literally 1000s of young impressionable people, probably reading this forum right now, who do not have a mentor that want to learn to shoot and hunt, the last thing they need to do is purchase a few hundred rounds of factory ammo and a 223 and shoot when possible and then go afield this fall to hunt anything.

You know this because you have used a 223 with 77gr TMK’s extensively on game animals and know it’s a bad idea?

Your remarks here are why it matters how much someone shoots when talking things that involve shooting. Because direct pertinent experience creates something resembling data, versus feelings- which you display above.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved

I am not an influencer, I don’t speak for any company, nor do I get paid to write what I do.

Minions? Like a much of members of this forum that I don’t know, have never met, and who gained their own experience?

You know this because you have used a 223 with 77gr TMK’s extensively on game animals and know it’s a bad idea?

Your remarks here are why it matters how much someone shoots when talking things that involve shooting. Because direct pertinent experience creates something resembling data, versus feelings- which you display above.

You are wrong and you can't handle it, cool

Me, I am not about measuring diks, but this very conversation came up this past weekend about young people believing everything they see and hear on social media and quit listening to their mentors.

You parrot that Loctite is bad and paint pens and nail polish is good, for the life of me, 29yrs around helicopters, never once saw a fastener of any kind installed using nail polish or paint pens, but hey, you keep being you.

Take the show on the road, there are plenty of forums, you can be a traveling paint pen salesman, I am sure Pentel or even Maybelline will be itching to pitch in for the gas.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know nail polish is cheaper and easier to find than other thread lockers so that's always an upside especially in smaller community. Simple to apply, never worry if it's out date as it's either wet or dry, it seems like a overall winner to me for mount screws.

On the other hand, thousands of industries rely on thread locking products everyday so to imply they won't work within thier approved applications to stop threads from vibrating loose just seems ill-logical to me. No doubt if I'm using in a aviation application I'm choosing it over nail polish 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Wrong. You are an influencer. It says 'Super moderator' on your title too.
What you say matters, a lot. Do more research.

Right now there a convoy of young people heading off to the nail salon - to hold their gun together. You'll likely accept you're wrong on this someday, but this stuff be out there.

Kurts86

WKR
So anaerobic thread lockers are a liability if they don’t cure but then why not use an externally curing thread locker like Vibra-Tite VC3 or Loctite thread locker tape?

Reactions: NSI