Blue Loctite Alternative??

BCD

WKR
I believe I read on here somewhere that people were recommending fingernail polish over the blue loctite because it was easier to remove than the loctite? Is that correct?

WillyP-AZ

FNG
Finger nail polish works well for small screws with fine threads because the strength isn’t so much that removal damages them or the female threads.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I believe I read on here somewhere that people were recommending fingernail polish over the blue loctite because it was easier to remove than the loctite? Is that correct?

No, that is not correct. Fingernail polish and paint pens are being used because they dry and hold better than blue Loctite. It is not unseal to pull screw out days or weeks after installing them and finding the Blue Loctite still liquid.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider

Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate Threadlocker, -65 to 165 Degree F, 5mL Tube, Red​

I have a tube and will switch to it once I am out of blue Locktite. I still cover all screw heads with paint pen so I have witness marks.

Those people probably work at a nail salon.
Loctite is tried and true, do not experiment on your gun.

I never had an issue removing Blue Loctite. If your gun is Stainless make sure you use Primer, or Primerless Loctite (Blue 243). For very small screws - Purple.

Discussed before - School me on loctite for guns

Reactions: BCD

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Locktite is anaerobic curing. If it's still wet it's either because it was from walmart and 27 years old.....or your pitch diameter was a mess.

Then about every scope ring and screws made are, as it’s happened to lots of them. Paint pens and nail polish work regardless.

Locktite is anaerobic curing. If it's still wet it's either because it was from walmart and 27 years old.....or your pitch diameter was a mess.
I have wondered the age thing. Doesnt take long for loctite to cure when stuff is clean. I wonder if bluing, or stainless has an effect on loctite.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Loctite has an expiration date, in fact most any sealer/locker/epoxy has an expiration date, some a yr, some 6 months, some less. We use some epoxies that expire 15 says after put into use, a couple at 7 days.

The small single use plastic vials are your friend. Also, less is more with threadlocker, a small thin even coat is better than a single glob.

If it's still wet, you're probably are using it wrong. The old stuff (242) needs primer, especially on stainless steel.
Could oil in the threads cause it? They do make a more oil tolerant blue one, 243 iirc. Not sure it would help or not.
Of coarse oil makes a difference. Threads should be clean, no matter what you use.
I have wondered the age thing. Doesnt take long for loctite to cure when stuff is clean. I wonder if bluing, or stainless has an effect on loctite.
The old stuff (242) works fine, but requires Primer in many cases. If your stuff is old and you have no primer, just get some blue-243.

Sometimes it pays to read directions...
1720196395974.png

Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate Threadlocker, -65 to 165 Degree F, 5mL Tube, Red​

I have a tube and will switch to it once I am out of blue Locktite. I still cover all screw heads with paint pen so I have witness marks.
This. Vibratite is made for applications like firearms.