Blown primer. New rifle. Only 1 round fired.

Thanks everyone for the guidance. I certainly do not want to experience this again - especially the hot gas in my face.

Weatherby emailed a shipping label so I’ll send it to them ASAP for testing. (I just need to figure out where I can buy a shipping box for a rifle.)

Federal also emailed a shipping label so I’ll send them the ammo for testing.

That being said, I doubt I’ll receive anything more than, “everything is within specification.”

Yes, I plan on selling the rifle once it’s returned. It’s very disappointing as factory 280AI’s are difficult to come by.
I bought a rifle sized box from U-Haul’s website. Even shipping g to my house it was the cheapest option without having to buy a bunch of boxes. Now I save all my rifle sized boxes

OP
T

txnewguy

FNG
Confirmed with the guide again. He’s “had issues with 6.5 CM and prefers .30-06.”

I’ll try a new outfitter/guide next time. I’m pretty much locked in with them.

Good idea about U-HAUL. I’ll check them out.

The Guide

WKR
Confirmed with the guide again. He’s “had issues with 6.5 CM and prefers .30-06.”

Buy this guys rifle and shoot one with a "spicy Creedmoor" then sell it or keep it when you get your 280AI figured out.

Jay

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Harvey_NW

WKR
You think Weatherby incorrectly sold a 7Mag as a 280AI. The barrel is stamped 280AI.
Fierce has sold a couple rifles that were labeled the wrong chambering, and with barrels that were drilled and not rifled, so it definitely happens.

It doesn't exactly look like that's the issue to me, but the fact that you had enough pressure to blow a primer and warp the case head and were still able to extract it, is baffling. Very curious to hear the responses you get.

OP
T

txnewguy

FNG
Fierce has sold a couple rifles that were labeled the wrong chambering, and with barrels that were drilled and not rifled, so it definitely happens.

It doesn't exactly look like that's the issue to me, but the fact that you had enough pressure to blow a primer and warp the case head and were still able to extract it, is baffling. Very curious to hear the responses you get.
FWIW, I inserted the fired cartridge into the chamber and it wouldn’t go in. An unfired cartridge dropped in completely.

KenLee

WKR
Buy this guys rifle and shoot one with a "spicy Creedmoor" then sell it or keep it when you get your 280AI figured out.

Jay

Don't unless you like super long length of pull

Weldor

WKR

Hit up your local pawn shop or gun shop for a box, most around here will just give youone. Do you have a Sportsman or any large retailer around? They will give a box also.