Blown primer. New rifle. Only 1 round fired.

txnewguy

FNG
Hello,

This is my first post here and my first on any firearm or hunting related blog.

I bought a factory new Weatherby 307 Range in 280 AI for my first elk trip in November.

The following day I mounted a scope and headed to the range. On the very first cartridge, the primer was blown out and the extractor was shattered and in two pieces. The primer was not pierced. But the case head was deformed and the extractor damaged the case head as well.

The ammo was/is factory new Federal Terminal Ascent 155 gr. I do not reload.

Obviously, the blown primer is a sign of high pressure. But what caused the high pressure? Is it simply due to hot factory ammo? Or, could it be a tight chamber? Should I buy GO/NO-Go gauges? Am I safe to try factory new Nosler Accubond 160gr?

If I experience a similar issue with the Nosler ammo, I’ll be sending the rifle back to Weatherby.

Weatherby is aware. They’re sending a new extractor, pin, and spring. I’ve ordered new ammo (Nosler Accubond) and will put the Federal ammo aside.

I’ve emailed Federal twice detailing my experience as well. No response.

Thank you for your guidance. Any help is appreciated.

Last summer, I was getting blown primers on my 15+ year old 7mm RM Savage 110 shooting Federal TA 155s.

Turned out to be an excessive headspace issue which got fixed up by a gunsmith. It’s been shooting well since then with several more boxes of same ammo.

OP
T

txnewguy

FNG
Chamber wasn’t oily by chance was it?
I ran a new boresnake with a few very small drops of Break Free from a pen applicator.

I thought this was the culprit, too. But I’ve done this for the other 7 rifles I have, especially after they’ve been sitting in storage for months.

Something to add, the bolt is very hard to rotate on a new cartridge. It takes much more effort than on my other bolt gun.

I follow a few forums/FB groups and can't remember which one but I swear I had read a similar post about 280ai 155gn federal terminal accent blowing primers. This would of been in the last 2 weeks or so. I would say ammo issue before a gun issue

OP
T

txnewguy

FNG
Of course, I don’t want to risk shooting the rifle again. I suppose I’ll need to buy or borrow a rifle in the meantime.

Is anyone familiar with Weatherby’s resolution or turn around time? Are they easy to work with?

Of course, I don’t want to risk shooting the rifle again. I suppose I’ll need to buy or borrow a rifle in the meantime.

Is anyone familiar with Weatherby’s resolution or turn around time? Are they easy to work with?
I would shoot a different round a see if you have the same problem. Weatherby may help but needs to be determined if its the gun or the ammo that's giving you the trouble. Or at least that's what I would do.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Something to add, the bolt is very hard to rotate on a new cartridge. It takes much more effort than on my other bolt gun.
Something isn't clearanced right between the rifle and ammo. The bullet could also be jammed in the lands (and you're feeling the resistance when closing the bolt for example). Which would spike pressure.

This isn't necessarily a Weatherby's fault but I'd have the investigate it unless you have the tools to check headspace, where the bullet hits the lands, etc.