Blood Trailing Light

Whip

WKR
I'm looking for a new headlamp to be used for blood trailing. I have a tracking dog so get out on a fair number of tracks each fall.
I'm looking at the Zebra lights and have heard good things about them but I'm very confused with all the different models they offer as to which would be best for seeing blood at night.

I do have a Fenix PD32 UE hand held that I really like but am needing something I can use hands free while trying to handle the dog.

Thanks for advice from any experienced trackers!

Last edited:
OP
W

Whip

WKR
I have been using a fenix hm65r and really like it.
That looks like a solid option, thanks. I liked the built in ability to recharge a 18650 battery. Nice!
I couldn't find any reference on their site regarding the light spectrum. If I remember from when I bought my Fenix handheld there was a certain light spectrum that showed blood better than others.
Have you used yours for blood trailing?

Btaylor

WKR
That looks like a solid option, thanks. I liked the built in ability to recharge a 18650 battery. Nice!
I couldn't find any reference on their site regarding the light spectrum. If I remember from when I bought my Fenix handheld there was a certain light spectrum that showed blood better than others.
Have you used yours for blood trailing?
Yes have used it on a several tracks now and it is hands down the best light I have used for trailing.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Yes have used it on a several tracks now and it is hands down the best light I have used for trailing.
I went ahead and ordered the HM60R. Gave up a little brightness and quite a bit of battery life but I liked the red light option which I use quite a bit while going to & from my stands. I put the savings toward a couple of extra batteries instead. I think it will work great for what I'm intending to use it for.
Thanks!

ive got a Black Diamond Storm 400 headlamp. really like it, dim able but can also put out a ton of bright light if needed. and has 3 other colors

OP
W

Whip

WKR
I do have a Black Storm 400 also. It's a very nice light for general hunting or camping use but not so great for my needs for blood trailing. I was looking for something even brighter and with a wider beam.
I got my new Fenix HM60R and it's an outstanding light. Really bright with a wide well lit beam with no soft spots. Can't wait to try it out on a blood trail.