Blood Stains

Jakerex

WKR
I see countless people daily on this forum talking about washing their hunting clothes, and selling items that have been washed, or never packed meat, etc. the big thing is “no blood stains”. I’ve never really thought about it much, but I’m sure that I have hunting clothing that is 10,15, maybe 20 years old and it has never been washed with various stains, including blood.

Is blood bad for clothing…..will blood break down clothing? Is this the reason people seem adamant about washing their hunting clothes, or, are folks just anal about having clean hunting clothes?

I’m talking outerwear. I will wash my under layers when they start to stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
i wash all my stuff at the end of the year and sometimes before then if it’s been a long hunt.

All of mine is stored in the house in a guest bedroom so I prefer to have it all as clean as possible while storing.

Personal preference thing. Some may have 15 year old hunting clothes with blood, some may have 15 year old hunting clothes that are clean.

I don’t think it matters much to be honest. To each his own.

manitou1

WKR
Blood has a tendency to have bacteria and stink.
I don't really care to put fresh meat into an old blood stained pack either.

I have pretty good success with getting blood out of hunting clotes with normal washing in COLD water, detergent and Oxi-clean.

My games bags clean up with a good overnight soak in a cooler of cold water, Dawn dish soap, a little laundry detergent and Oxi-clean.

My packs get overnight soaks in the bath tub with the same mixture as the game bags.

I have only had one pack that just refused to let go of blood stains for some reason. It didn't bother me as it was just a reminder of past success... but I still cleaned it as well as I could to prevent bugs, bacteria and "stank".

Last edited:

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
To me, I think the biggest thing is:

"Take care of your gear and it'll take care of you."

I do this with all my hunting equipment: guns, gear, clothes, boots, packs, decoys, truck, trailer, atv, etc.

I can be pretty hard on my gear, esp my waterfowl stuff. I'm always in mud muck, back water sloughs, rainy, nasty weather, and because of that I've become a bit of a gear snob and considering I LOVE to hunt, I buy premium stuff and expect it to work like it should. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, my feeling also is I want to do my part to give myself the best opportunity at the game I'm pursuing. Now blood on my camo/pack won't really matter when I'm shooting a deer. But the philosophy is still the same.

This is mostly a non-issue.

Scores of millions of biological females just in the USA and somehow their washed and folded skivvies do not attract bugs, do not have an unpleasant aroma, and do not cause their owners "health issues" due to monthly stains.

But a game bag/clothing/patch that has been washed, and potentially bleached in some cases, will lead to a Biblical plague.

manitou1

WKR
This is mostly a non-issue.

Scores of millions of biological females just in the USA and somehow their washed and folded skivvies do not attract bugs, do not have an unpleasant aroma, and do not cause their owners "health issues" due to monthly stains.

But a game bag/clothing/patch that has been washed, and potentially bleached in some cases, will lead to a Biblical plague.
Some were saying they just leave blood on their clothes and gear UNWASHED the way it was conveyed.

Sorry, but any female who doesn't wash her nasty drawers is a bio hazard... but then again, this wasn't the subject of the post.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Hydrogen peroxide works well. We rinse our deer transporting rack during hunting season until its "good enough" and then use the hydrogen peroxide at the end of the season to really clean it all off.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to keep my clothing/packs for a long time. Clean most clothing items after each hunt and I clean my pack before each season and after hunts where it gets bloodied. I will remove the pack bag and rinse if It gets bloodied mid hunt and I plan to keep hunting.

The only clothing item that doesn't get cleaned as frequently as other is my puffy(s). But the get laundered as per manufacture instructions after hunts if they get very soiled, and usually after the season is over, then stored for the next year.

I'm not concerned about stains that remain after cleaning as I am not concerned about resale or what I look like.

Some were saying they just leave blood on their clothes and gear UNWASHED the way it was conveyed.

Sorry, but any female who doesn't wash her nasty drawers is a bio hazard... but then again, this wasn't the subject of the post.
I specifically used the phrase word "washed and folded skivvies" in my post.

While it is true that some folks did talk about not cleaning their gear, others described their cleaning regimen due to specific concerns. It is sad, but also unfortunately expected, that some folks are too dense to grasp a real world example which can show that some cleaning regimens are based upon unwarranted concerns.

Yea, if I'm going to buy a pair of pants from you, I expect them not to be blood stained. That seems pretty obvious.

I hose off my pack and occasionally wash my hunting clothes because I also occasionally wash the rest of my clothes. Also seems obvious...

Wrench

WKR
My wet dog smells better than my pack a week after hauling elk....

I'll wash anything that stinks or is plugged with body oils.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
My wet dog smells better than my pack a week after hauling elk....

I'll wash anything that stinks or is plugged with body oils.

I always pack a garbage bag to put meat in before it go into my pack. Meat, game bag, garbage bag, pack. Easy way to not saturate your bag with blood / meat and it only adds a few extra ounces to your pack.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I wash all my hunting clothes in grangers after every hunt and hang dry except my jacket and bibs only wash them at the end or if they get crap on them. I spent way too much money to not take care of them. I will only use the dryer if I’m retreating them with dwr. I will say it cost dang near as much to keep them clean once you buy all the different grangers stuff for merino down etc. and you don’t get very much for the cost that’s for sure. Blood has always washed out of Sitka kuiu and first lite stuff even my old under armor Stuff blood washed out with grangers and cold water…

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I wash all my hunting clothes in grangers after every hunt and hang dry except my jacket and bibs only wash them at the end or if they get crap on them. I spent way too much money to not take care of them. I will only use the dryer if I’m retreating them with dwr. I will say it cost dang near as much to keep them clean once you buy all the different grangers stuff for merino down etc. and you don’t get very much for the cost that’s for sure. Blood has always washed out of Sitka kuiu and first lite stuff even my old under armor Stuff blood washed out with grangers and cold water…

Woolite works great for a fraction of the price.