Blaser

Mojave

WKR
It has been fashionable by people who don't really get it to hate on them since 1993. When the original R93 came out.

To me the biggest factors that I like about it:

1. Trigger, as much as I prefer two stage triggers, this is one of the best single stage triggers made.
2. Magazines are sized to the actual group of cartridges, instead of adjusting feed lips and hoping.
3. Decocker, the single greatest part of the rifle.
4. Great quality hammer forged barrels. That are then hardened to the point that are very hard to wear out in a normal hunting scenario.
5. Stocks are stiff, even if they are made of plastic. They are like Glock frames.
6. Scope mounts directly to the barrel, allowing for a incredible reliability, not seen in any other system.
7. Over 50 different cartridges are chambered in the rifle from 17 HMR to 500 Jefferies.
8. As the R8 (and R93) sit in an aluminum chassis, allowing for the action and stock to never touch, and the barrel to remain free floated, there is great repeatability in the system and great ease in upgrading to aftermarket stocks.
9. There are also aftermarket scope mounts, so you don't need to buy Blaser's $450 scope mount.

Things I am not in love with:
1. No single barrel maker has been able to consistently produce a product equal to what Blaser does. And some of them have been dangerous. Where spare barrels of a non-Blaser manufacture of any serious quality are available.
2. Wish there was a two stage trigger.
3. It isn't light.
4. Blaser charges $400 or more for every stupid option. You want a fully adjustable ultimate stock it is a $1000 upgrade. A 21mm match or 19mm semi-weight barrel is a $500 option. Fluted is another $500. Threaded is another $400. For another $400 with most companies you can get a carbon fiber barrel.

Things I know other people hate that don't bother me about the system:
1. The cost, as a non-Doctor/Lawyer type the $4500 outlay for a rifle or $1350 outlay for a barrel sucks. I wish they were $500, but if you compare a barrel change on a Savage 110 to that of an R8/R93 in time alone I can understand the price upgrade. I can do a R8 from 6.5x55 to 338 Blaser in about 2-3 minutes. Including mounting another scope, the barrel, and changing the magazine. This leaves me with a new caliber that if previously sighted in is ready to hunt in 2-3 minutes.
Takes me about 2-3 minutes just to get a factory Savage barrel set up in the vice to get to wrenching on it. Then it is not sighted in, and I still have to set the rifle up, scope, screw everything back together, torque it down and then mount a scope. The modularity of the Blaser kicks the shit out of a regular rifle.

The rifle isn't for everyone. A lot of the added features are lost on most happy nimrods. Even in Germany where it is one of the most popular rifles with something like a 30% share of the market, 70% of all German hunters don't like or don't want one. In Scandanavia the Sauer 404 is almost as popular.

Blaser is also a everything brand. They sell backpacks, bipods, hunting clothing, scopes, binoculars, gun cases and a few other items.

Rarely in my 3 years of going to drive hunts in Germany did I ever see someone totally kitted out with Blaser head to toe. I have seen hundreds of American hunters bathed in Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Browning, and other brands.

The Blaser company owns JP Sauer, Leimke Night Vision, Minox Optik, Mauser and Rigby. Most of these optical and firearms are built in their factories in Germany.

I currently own 3 stocks and 3 barrels. If I had another two, bolt housing groups I'd have 3 complete rifles. They are the only rifles other than a 22LR that I own. I have been down this road with the Blaser company many times, I personally like them a lot.

I was on a hunt years ago where a hunter I didn't know, shot another hunter I didn't know through the collar bone and he survived. He thought the rifle was empty and there was some really stupid gunmanship that resulted in someone almost dying. With the Blaser stupid gunsmanship is a much harder thing to do. As you can decock the rifle. I usually carry it without a round in the chamber decocked.

The only other rifle I know of that you can decock is the Sauer 404. You could also decock the Mauser m03 but it isn't in production anymore.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Nice post. Even on the price I get it that it's not a budget rifle. But I see all the time this happen:

- Someone buys a R700. Gets the stiffer upgraded synthetic stocks and drops $900 on it.
- Decides they should upgrade the trigger: $200
- Gets some weaver mount for $50. Not very good. Better upgrade to a rail: $100.
- Messes around buying different rings: $200-$400
- The bolt is not very smooth. Maybe I'll get it fluted/coated/polished: $300
- Accuracy could be better. I'll get a Bartlein barrel: $400
- Need to get barrel fitted: $200
- The stock needs swapping to get better bedding: $500-$1000
- Trigger is not working that great. Better buy another to try: $200
- Maybe I'll send it out to get the action blueprinted now:$500??
- Etc.

Or, you could just buy the Blaser and have a rifle that shoots perfectly out of the box with an excellent trigger, excellent repeatable scope mount, excellent safety and excellent reliability in a completely modular package. It will save money for many shooters over the long run by not getting onto the upgrade treadmill.

But then, a lot of people like messing around with their rifles and that's fine too. But I think a part of why some people don't like the Blaser is that it just works without any tinkering and for many gun owners tinkering is a big part of the fun.

I don't like tinkering that much and just want a platform that works and I trust so the Blaser is a no brainer purchase. I spent almost three years thinking about getting one and once I got it and started using it wish I had done so earlier. I sold off a bunch of other rifles now. I just don't use them or want to tinker around with them when I know the Blaser just lets me get out and shoot and not worry about anything but making the shot.

Mojave

WKR
Just priced it retail from Euro Optics. A Professional is $5192 with a standard barrel and a scope mount.

Success or non-adjustable ultimate is $5868 for the same set up.

Adjustable ultimate with cheek and butt adjustability is $$7200.

Carbon Success is $13175 for the same set up.

I bought all of my stocks except my carbon fiber custom Jaeger used. I have about $3000 in it.

I have only bought one new barrel and that is because the caliber is closed out in America. Gave $850 for that.

Since everything is interchangeable it is easy to buy bits at a time. Or when used items come up.

I don't think I have more than $2400 in most of my complete rifles that I have bought used sourcing componants from Snipershide, Blaserbuds and Blaserpro.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I got my used R8 Pro Success for about $3,000 with 30mm scope mount as well. The new prices have gotten ridiculous since Covid and the factory interruption. The Euro fluctuation hasn't helped. I have multiple barrels now and just put on what I want for when I go to the range or swap at the range when I'm moving from LR practice to shorter range rifle drills with cheaper 223 ammo.

I have never had a custom rifle made, but just couldn't see the reason to do so when I have the Blaser.

I got into the Blaser after speaking with someone that basically is a professional hunter/culler. He told me once I got one I would just start selling off my other rifles and he was right. I will keep one or two favorites that are not the Blaser, but mostly I just don't shoot them now and when I do shoot them they feel clunky to me.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a hunt years ago where a hunter I didn't know, shot another hunter I didn't know through the collar bone and he survived. He thought the rifle was empty and there was some really stupid gunmanship that resulted in someone almost dying. With the Blaser stupid gunsmanship is a much harder thing to do. As you can decock the rifle. I usually carry it without a round in the chamber decocked.

The only other rifle I know of that you can decock is the Sauer 404. You could also decock the Mauser m03 but it isn't in production anymore.
I'll say this that the guy that got me into the Blaser won't go out on hunts with people that do not use a decocker rifle for the same reason. He doesn't trust them not to have an accident. The Blaser with the decocker for me is perhaps the #1 feature. I can walk in the hills and if I take a fall I know that rifle is safe.

I've never seen anyone either in all Blaser gear. But I've seen tons of guys dump thousands on Kuiu. I got rid of my camo gear and just use hiking gear now. I am not wearing fashionable camo, but at least my rifle looks German.

Mojave

WKR
I wish I could go some place close by to see the optics. I have heard really mixed reviews, especially with the binoculars. I was told that the binos have just enough German parts on them to use the term "made in Germany", but they are actually Japanese.

The scopes are supposed to be made in Germany on gear they bought from Schmidt Bender in a new Wetzler plant or maybe under contract from someone else. They have some strange features like backwards dials.

Mojave

WKR
They also have a new clothing line, which is supposed to be Torray fabrics. Prices are similar to Kuiu/Sitka, so I don't know if I can justify that having a full set up of Kuiu.

And mainland Europe is pretty warm and flat compared to what we hunt in the Rockies. I don't know if it would be an expensive failure.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I could go some place close by to see the optics. I have heard really mixed reviews, especially with the binoculars. I was told that the binos have just enough German parts on them to use the term "made in Germany", but they are actually Japanese.

The scopes are supposed to be made in Germany on gear they bought from Schmidt Bender in a new Wetzler plant or maybe under contract from someone else. They have some strange features like backwards dials.
The scopes are fine, but are very heavy for what they are. I could not justify the money on them when I run my Nightforce scopes just fine. I will say the elevation turrets were nice and locking which i think is a must on a hunting rifle.

The binos are fine, but again I just stick with Leica/Swaro as they are not only cheaper but likely better in most aspects.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
They also have a new clothing line, which is supposed to be Torray fabrics. Prices are similar to Kuiu/Sitka, so I don't know if I can justify that having a full set up of Kuiu.

And mainland Europe is pretty warm and flat compared to what we hunt in the Rockies. I don't know if it would be an expensive failure.
I sold all my Kuiu and just moved to subdued color hiking clothing. It's a lot cheaper, just as good, and usually a lot lighter. If you thrash it out in the season, you can replace it for a fraction of the cost. The animals don't seem to know I'm not wearing the latest camo.

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been mulling pulling the trigger on a Blaser for a long while now. I’ve researched every possible option and all aftermarket support. I’m less enthused as I was earlier in my discovery phase mostly due to the gun’s weight. I don’t own many rifles and as I build a rifle collection I was in a good spot to just go Blaser as I could just buy barrels as I went, but I keep hearing the after market barrels are just no where near the quality of the OEM barrels, and the OEM barrels are outrageously expensive and have such slow twist rates!

I’m still probably going to go the Blaser route as I love the single best feature ( in my mind) -the overall length. I have a 9 inch titanium suppressor that would pair soooo nicely with a short 16” .308 for big woods still hunting/ tracking. I can also buy an aftermarket .300 prc for elk and an aftermarket .350 legend for my hunting in straight wall states.

It’s just that CA has the titanium fft rifles that come in under 5lbs and have nice short 20 inch barrels, so with scope and suppressor I’m at the weight of the Blaser bare.

Decisions Decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
My Blaser R8 Pro Success weights:

Bare rifle full length barrel: 7lbs. 9ozs.
Bare rifle 18" barrel: 7lbs 2.5ozs.
Blaser mount w/30mm rings: ~6ozs.

So if you put on a decent scope you'll be anywhere from 8.5lbs to 9lbs. Suppressor does another 0.5lb-1lb. so the weight will be 10lbs which is well outside the lighter weight setup. The Blaser is basically a conventional weight rifle.

There are some stocks that can take more weight off that are after market but I've never used them. They could knock off another 1 lb. from the rifle in some cases. But this drives the cost up a lot more.

If I ever got away from the Blaser it would be to do something like a Sako carbonlight to really drop weight. But most of the time the safety, short length, fast action and accuracy of the rifle I'm willing to carry the extra 1-2lbs over an ultra light setup for now. I have in the past had a very light Tikka T3 Lite setup. It was light for sure, but also very hard to be consistently accurate due to the low weight. The Blaser is just a much better rifle all around.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
For those that are piecing Blasers together. Where are you finding used parts for sale?
You can prowl around on the Blaser forums, or search websites like Eurooptic, online gun auction sites, etc. When I go into gun stores I always ask if they have any Blaser gear. I got lucky once doing that and got a nice kit for good discount.

BjornF16

WKR
I picked up demo Jaeger receiver from EuroOptic and added carbon fiber furniture. At some point I’ll buy nice wood furniture but I just can’t stomach the thought of abusing nice wood in the backcountry (plus it’s heavier).

There’s a couple of Jaeger receivers for sale at BlaserBuds.

Here’s my setup

2D5F1963-354E-4F9E-A796-EB6F5F56EDFD.jpeg

BjornF16

WKR
Call me a believer…back from range to sight in new Blaser Success 6XC

Love the action, love the handling. Just wish the buttstock was not angled.

I’ll have a couple of rifles for sale soon…

These shots were after 4 sight in shots:

Attachments

• 8CC69153-A7F4-4CC9-8128-8CB697E32168.jpeg
    8CC69153-A7F4-4CC9-8128-8CB697E32168.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 45