Black Bear - Traditional Bow Recurve Set-up

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, I would like feedback on what the minimum recommended draw weight for a black bear -
Also what would be a recommended arrow weight
And recommended spine -

I have a 19" riser, 44 lb Uukha Limbs Long, I feel maybe pushing it.
My draw length is 28.5" - I have 30" arrows carbon to carbon weight is 565 grains
Current arrow set up is Victory 500 spine - with a 150 grain broadhead
Shooting 3 under.

Hello all, I would like feedback on what the minimum recommended draw weight for a black bear -
Also what would be a recommended arrow weight
And recommended spine -

I have a 19" riser, 44 lb Uukha Limbs Long, I feel maybe pushing it.
My draw length is 28.5" - I have 30" arrows carbon to carbon weight is 565 grains
Current arrow set up is Victory 500 spine - with a 150 grain broadhead
Shooting 3 under.
Should be fine. I don't know much about bears, but I know elk are bigger and my wife had killed several with 46 pounds, a 26" draw and a lighter arrow.

Beendare

WKR
Shoot a tapered COC broadhead and you will be blowing through everything.

I shot a similar set up, 19” ILF riser with Selenghas at 46# over a 2 year period and had 10 of 12 critters pass throughs including big hogs and moose. The non-pass through were quartering away wedged in the offside shoulder.

Beendare

WKR
cropped recurve bear.jpeg

Heres a screen shot to get you fired up for bear hunting.

Its from a buddies video filming about 300y behind me. …big bear probably 400# at 17y not offering me a BS shot. (no I’m not that fat, cold day with 3 layers on-grin)

EDIT- I'm looking at my photo here. and you guys must think I'm full of it.....but that bear is almost straight on to me. The angle from the video on full zoom gives the impression he is almost Broadside and I should be shooting. I can tell you, thats not the case. In fact, he looks small here probably due to me [6'3",230 here] being in the foreground. He was the biggest black bear I've ever seen....and I have seen hundreds.

The rest of the story;

He turns quick and bailed off the edge of that old skid road we were on- gone. The wind was shifty. It was a bit of a pucker when he was working his way down the road towards me- he got close....It could have been 12 paces. Canada, so no pistol. The guide had a lever action rifle...but was 300y away with my buddy filming.

In hindsight, I should have gotten off the road and up on the bank [to my right] and let him walk by me giving me a BS shot instead of going right at him like that. Early Spring bear season. Green grass with bits of clover on that road so it was a good chance he would have stayed on it feeding along. Live and learn.

Last edited: